Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,802,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Oh no, Brighthouse here isn't a decent service provider in Sarasota either? Yikes. They, BH, were my provider years ago when I lived in Tampa, my bundle price stayed the same for three years. In the area of Sarasota, I live, only Comcast and Verizon are available.

I have Comcast as my provider, one of the worst I've ever encountered next to Verizon. For phone I use free pc service google talk, cell only when nec.
Comcast ranks very high, along with a few airlines, as one of the most hated companies in the US. Every now and then, Yahoo will post this kind of list based on some survey or other. I was at the local Comcast office a couple weeks ago because in this area, Comcast decided to go "all digital" and forced all subscribers to hook up a digital box (no charge for the moment).

Anyway, here I am in the waiting room filled with very angry people waiting in line to pick up this device. It was the cross section of America, young, old, students, Asian, Hispanic, African American, Caucasian, blue collar, professionals, retirees, one woman was in a walker, young people with tattoos all over their arms and legs, you name it. They were all there in line and fuming. It took me over an hour in line so I had a chance to chat with some of these folks and what struck me was how universally hated Comcast is, not just because of the inconvenience of having to hook up this digital device, but the fact that they are a monopoly, constantly higher rates, poor customer service, etc. It was amazing to stand there and realize how hated this company is, but there isn't any option. That's why they can get away with constantly raising rates and poor customer service. I'm convinced that they don't care. Just rake in the bucks. Sorry to digress......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,235,423 times
I'm way off y'alls topic about cable, but I wanted to do this while I'm still thinking about it. (Senility? Well, yes, I think so...)

There is a thread running in Pets right now about ways to conserve a little money on pet medications that those of you with canine companions might want to take a look at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...eals-pets.html

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,686,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm convinced that they don't care.
Because they don't have to care.
In the areas where Comcast doesn't operate Time Warner gets to be the whipping boy.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,437,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm way off y'alls topic about cable, but I wanted to do this while I'm still thinking about it. (Senility? Well, yes, I think so...)

There is a thread running in Pets right now about ways to conserve a little money on pet medications that those of you with canine companions might want to take a look at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...eals-pets.html
I'm sure those with pets will appreciate the info, thanks for sharing the link.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because they don't have to care.
In the areas where Comcast doesn't operate Time Warner gets to be the whipping boy.
Of course when their a monopoly, they don't have to care. So far they've massaged the right pockets to stay that way.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Of course when they're a monopoly, they don't have to care.
The few cities with more than one provider actually have it worse.
Nearly just as high rates with far spottier service.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,744,979 times
Quote:
The few cities with more than one provider actually have it worse.
Nearly just as high rates with far spottier service.
ANY service would beat my 'Pay-by-the-byte' dialup that is mouse eaten (and down) every couple weeks.

Thank goodness I don't have time or desire for TV.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
ANY service would beat my 'Pay-by-the-byte' dialup that is mouse eaten (and down) every couple weeks.

Thank goodness I don't have time or desire for TV.
I only wish that were true for myself these days. Aside from getting out and enjoying the outdoors when up to it, I would go mad If I didn't have the TV to distract my mind from the chronic pain I deal with daily. I'm doing everything I can to avoid taking those addictive pain meds the doctors tried to prescribe several times. For many seniors especially shut-ins, the boob tube is a bit of a savior from complete boredom. Don't even bring up reading as an alternative; I've got 11 books checked out from the library already.

I guess MrRational is right though, the cable companies aren't that great anywhere you live these days. In the near future, I am going to look back into that roku, plus update to a newer model tv so I can just use rabbit ears or better yet move to a complex that offers free cable.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
In the near future, I am going to look back into that roku, plus update to a newer model tv so I can just use rabbit ears or better yet move to a complex that offers free cable.
Plug in your zipcode to learn what sort of antenna you need to get good reception:
AntennaWeb - Home

The best of the several HDTV antenna's available:
Winegard HD TV Antenna, High Definition TV Antennas

These plus netflix might be enough.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Plug in your zipcode to learn what sort of antenna you need to get good reception:
AntennaWeb - Home

The best of the several HDTV antenna's available:
Winegard HD TV Antenna, High Definition TV Antennas

These plus netflix might be enough.
Thanks for those links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement