Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,608,338 times

Advertisements

My brother recently made a sort of curried peas using yellow split peas & some sort of indian style curry seasonings, not too much, a tiny bit mushy but still the peas were firm. Absolutely delicious, healthy & low-fat & dead cheap. Serve with rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Ramen is tasty. And DH adds chipped veggies and a packet of chicken broth to "beef" it up.

But ramen - the pre-prepared stuff - is usually very unhealthy. Its taste comes from lots of fat and salt.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
My brother recently made a sort of curried peas using yellow split peas & some sort of indian style curry seasonings, not too much, a tiny bit mushy but still the peas were firm. Absolutely delicious, healthy & low-fat & dead cheap. Serve with rice.
Would he share the recipe?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Would he share the recipe?

I'm vegetarian and eat very well, quite inexpensively. Indian food is wonderful, easy to make and very healthy. Here is a website for you to check out. Chana Daal Recipe, Chana Dal Recipe - Indian Food Recipes

I'll bet you'd find a similar recipe on it.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Excellent!!! "Ignore poster" works pretty good too... (for those who are least likely to contribute, and most likely to argue http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...?do=ignorelist)

I actually is quite ez to just ignore a whole thread.

If it raises your blood pressure... or causes you to go 'post'(al)...Don't read it, and certainly don't post in it!

Much better for 'shoestringers' to post in the shoestring thread, tho it is a 'free' forum! Contrary to the contrarians in our midst.
Are you addressing me? (It was my post you quoted). If so, I know all about the ignore feature on City-Data and I have occasionally used it over the years. I also know how easy it is to ignore a whole thread, which I do all the time.

Your response makes no sense at all if you are addressing me. If you used my statement as a springboard for a generalized comment, then that is a different matter. However, it was not at all clear to me which was the case.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A few weeks ago I decided to try Ramen noodles; they're good. I've subsequently purchased mirin and pickled ginger to add. I already had MSG and shoyu (Japanese soy sauce). I'm also trying Italian anchovy oil a well as chopped anchovies and anchovy paste; they provide other glutamates, the stuff that imparts the umami taste. Needless to say, one does not use all of these condiments at the same time. Anchovy oil is $20 for 3.3 ounces but very little is needed. Two packs of Ramen cost 40 cents. I doubt that the rest adds more than another twenty cents if that. It might be interesting to add an egg as well; I'm willing to splurge and spend the additional 30 cents for one. The Japanese frequently add a raw egg to cooked rice.

Now I'm hungry; well, I'll fix that.
Quote:
We got through art college on ramen noodles, only sold in Asian shops back then. They're actually quite good, and still cheap. I'd skip the MSG though.
The glutamates provide the intense flavor to umami receptors just as acid supplies the taste for the sour receptors. This is the reason for using wine, vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid, etc.

I cooked the noodles rapidly so was able to reduce the water a good bit more than normal. I added just a dash of shoyu with the seasoning packet contents when the liquid was off the boil. Then I added an egg; this was for one package of Ramen. The egg cooked as I quickly stirred the mixture. It provided a thick broth with an outstanding taste. Adding it was a stroke of genius.

I do have one concern; I believe I'm approaching the limit of desirable saltiness. Cooking the liquid down does have the effect of concentrating salt. I did only use a dash of shoyu and I don't wish to use the low salt because of the taste; it's made using a different process. An additional egg per Ramen package would certainly help that issue, but I'll need to check the taste. I'd like to try adding a 1/4 tsp of anchovy oil or perhaps a chopped anchovy filet while keeping the salty taste in balance. Mirin may help solve this problem, but again I need to be concerned with the overall taste. At any rate, I have what should be some interesting and pleasant experiments in my near future.

The next time I have Ramen I may try adding some fresh chives from my little indoor garden. Adding some fresh shrimp or Bonito flakes are other possibilities.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:08 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We're obviously overdue for another melee.

There's no question that to call it a literal shoestring is an obvious illiteracy. Illiteracies have no place in a discussion conducted by putativly educated people. We need to disregard, nay more, abandon with horror and contempt, the cute factor.

The underlying problem is the unfortunate title of this forum. Our discussions are focused on the elderly; retirement is at best a related issue. There's no question that discusssions of the concerns of the elderly are the liveliest and most productive.

We certainly need to rename this thread. But we need to correct the underlying problem. We can easily do this by renaming this forum the Geriatrics forum. If there seems to be continuing interest in retirement topics a subforum devoted to that topic would be worthwhile if for no other reason to keep people under 65 or at least under 60 out of discussions they can't comprehend.

I don't believe that I'm the only one here who feels more of a bond with people in their eighties and nineties than with those under 65, a group I'm increasingly being convinced are a bunch who consider themselves worthy of the consideration of the aged but without putting in the time.

How many of you are angered by posters who wish to live in a 55+ community, but complain about people in their seventies and eighties who live there?
This is about people retiring on a shoestring. Does it matter if we're in our sixties or seventies? It doesn't to me. This isn't a geriatrics thread. It's about people facing or entering retirement with little in the bank, possibly no pension check, maybe waiting for disability to kick in.

It doesn't sound as though you're happy in Wyoming.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:29 PM

437 posts, read 649,582 times
Default he he he

In response to your last sentence: You've noticed that too, hmmmmm? lol

And I love ramen noodles without the flavoring packet of MSG and sodium content that is so incredibly unhealthy. Putting it with other ingredients is a great way to save some dough. Love the curry recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is about people retiring on a shoestring. Does it matter if we're in our sixties or seventies? It doesn't to me. This isn't a geriatrics thread. It's about people facing or entering retirement with little in the bank, possibly no pension check, maybe waiting for disability to kick in.

It doesn't sound as though you're happy in Wyoming.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
We got through art college on ramen noodles, only sold in Asian shops back then. They're actually quite good, and still cheap. I'd skip the MSG though.
I still miss Westbrae ramen. They had wheat, rice and buckwhat noodles, and flavors like seaweed, mushroom, curry. All came with a miso packet.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I still miss Westbrae ramen. They had wheat, rice and buckwhat noodles, and flavors like seaweed, mushroom, curry. All came with a miso packet.
On a shoestring I might have to go back to eating that. Did they stop making it or something? I used to get the buckwheat type and add my own real miso because I didn't think that dry packet of miso could be of much use.

It may seem disgusting but once I got over it, a breakfast of homemade miso soup was really healthy and cost very little. I used to use fresh greens from the garden which is about the only way I can force myself to eat greens. (hate salads.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement