Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We settled in a region with a relatively low COL, wages are low, household incomes are not much. Goodwill stores and such have clothes that are worn-out and not very low priced. Locals here seem to hang on to their clothing a lot longer.

My Dw makes a trip to DC twice a year to visit relatives. Of course the COL there is 10X higher there than it is here. The Goodwill stores there are loaded with nice stuff for half the price of goodwill clothing here. She loads up every time she goes down there.
I have had similar experiences when it comes to thrift stores.

Goodwill is usually on the bottom of my list, I don't like them ... but about 4 or 5 months I found one treasure that was unbelievable at a Goodwill: a brand new condition 100% black leather classic style jacket. It was ticketed at something like $9 ... but it was "Senior's Day" and I actually got it for $6.50!!!

I avoid all thrift stores in Philly. They sell garbage. Obviously used looking merchandise. Lucky for me there are independent thrift shops in South Jersey that have much better and newer looking merchandise. One thrift store - a very large one that must have been a Kmart or something like it in past - benefits Vietnam War Veterans. Last month I found a set of 3 matching brushed stainless steel heavy duty sauce pans with glass lids that had stainless steel handles. I won't say "brand new" but "almost brand new" condition. The three set me back about $9. Lidded sauce pan like these I've seen for sale in department stores for $35, $45, $55 each ... they were that good quality.

As a bargain hunter I will tell you that geography is everything. Next time you're in another town, another county, or another state check out the thrift stores there. More affluent areas tend to have better thrift shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... As a bargain hunter I will tell you that geography is everything. Next time you're in another town, another county, or another state check out the thrift stores there. More affluent areas tend to have better thrift shops.
Regions where the average household income is under $25k the thrift stores are picked over closely.

Regions where the average household income is over $100k, the thrift stores have nice stuff.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Regions where the average household income is under $25k the thrift stores are picked over closely.

Regions where the average household income is over $100k, the thrift stores have nice stuff.
That's true for neighborhoods as well. I have been in so-called thrift stores in posh neighborhood shopping areas that were just as expensive (for me) as an upscale retail department store.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

As a bargain hunter I will tell you that geography is everything. Next time you're in another town, another county, or another state check out the thrift stores there. More affluent areas tend to have better thrift shops.
The same goes with estate sale and moving sale in affluent neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
I plan on relocating within the next year and taking only clothes, books and very few prized possessions. I plan to explore every thrift store when I arrive to find what I need. Does anyone know how the thrift stores are in the Tucson area?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I plan on relocating within the next year and taking only clothes, books and very few prized possessions. I plan to explore every thrift store when I arrive to find what I need. Does anyone know how the thrift stores are in the Tucson area?

So, do you presently have furniture? If so, how are you planning to get rid of it? I plan to move in a few years and really don't want to drag a lot of stuff with me. I have only a 1 bed/apt but it all seems to add up. I would love to just pack my clothes, kitties and a few other things and just go.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So, do you presently have furniture? If so, how are you planning to get rid of it? I plan to move in a few years and really don't want to drag a lot of stuff with me. I have only a 1 bed/apt but it all seems to add up. I would love to just pack my clothes, kitties and a few other things and just go.
You can donate your furniture to a church, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission. I live where there is a refugee resettlement group (you can find in yellow pages, not sure what header, you will have to look for it). Or you could try selling some of your stuff.

There are furnished apartments tho I've noticed they do run a bit high for rent.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:47 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Don't underestimate what it costs to refurnish a home soup to nuts. Write it all down and figure it out and have a budget for each item.

Craigslist is good too, though be aware that in places with bedbugs you need to be extra cautious about what you're buying. But I have seen pretty new furniture going for a song on Craigslist--like everything you need to know what it's worth, and what it's worth to you. For example, since Ikea furniture is cheap to begin with, many people practically give it away when they upgrade or move. But I know there are those who will only buy higher quality items. (I like some IKEA for myself....)

I prefer garage sales in nicer neighborhoods over thrift stores in the PHX area, but I don't know Tucson. I will check Good Will if I'm looking for something specific or for general household goods, but not in my town where the merchandise is usually pretty dirty and picked over. In the PHX/Tucson area there are also lots of estate sales (hit and miss, some are ridiculously priced) and consignment shops/estate "wholesalers". So if you can cover your basic needs to start with, there's a lot to choose from to fill in the rest over time.

I always have to be careful when I am bargain hunting. I tend to rationalize buying things I don't need or that aren't exactly what I want just because they are cheap. Hoarder tendencies, lol. The older I get, the less I do it though. I want to shed possessions, not add them.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
If I can't pack it into my car, it's not coming with me. And I have a lot of books. It will be painful paring those down, but if I haven't re-read it in the last 5 years, those will go to a local book resale shop. I may live to regret this (the books) lol I may end up getting a pod because there is 1 bookcase and 1 chair that I would like to bring with me - hey maybe a few more books this way (hehe) but I could stand to part with those 2 if I need to. The rest of the stuff is history.

With my limited budget, first priority will be bed, chair and computer desk with chair; next will be kitchen items. So thrift shops, estate sales, and garage sales will be my first stops. I plan on saving a little nest egg for purchasing essential items before I relocate. I remember getting my first apartment and shopping for the necessary spices. I bought a few at a time and plan to go the same route.

Figure the first month in furnished rental will give me time to get the essentials for kitchen before I lease the long-term rental.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:56 PM

292 posts, read 357,735 times
Default Looking for good thrift stores?

I just heard about a site that lets you fill in a zip code or city name and it will give you the thrift shops in the area--with ratings!! I tried my city, and while I didn't visit any of the shops, the site worked as promised. There are some sponsored stores that head the list, then the rated ones.

Duh! edited to add the site: thethriftshopper.com

Last edited by mastequila; 04-26-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement