Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
One time I compared clothing prices of similar items between the local Goodwill store and Sierra Trading Post clearance sale (+ discount coupon). The used Goodwill items cost 2 to 3x more than STP's new items. In addition, one has to spend a lot of time at Goodwill to look for an item of the right size, right color in good condition and made of quality materials.
This is very strange. I shop my local one from time to time and only a few clothes are individually priced. Most are around $3 a piece for dress shirts and pants. I almost never find those kinds of prices at retail stores; $7 for a shirt and $10 for a pair of pants is about rock bottom for retail sales here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:22 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashforkdeb View Post
any suggestions?
details, briefly:

* no partner
* no children
* no pets
* no car
* no job
* F, 62
* can probably get one-time help to make a move, but to where?

any creative input is most appreciated .....

With only $660 a month, you really probably have only one option, which is to rent a room from someone with all utilities and internet provided and within walking distance or bike riding distance to a supermarket, Walmart or large Dollar Store. Rent needs to be no more than $400, and if possible $350. Need to get yourself a bike with a basket on the front of it, and add two side baskets on the back for groceries. Or if store is within walking distance, a granny cart. I have even seen people rig up a granny cart behind their bicycle for added groceries.

Then if you don't know how to cook cheaply, the internet is your friend and can help you out. Plan your menu's out ahead of time. If your new landlord would permit it, I would buy a very small chest type freezer for yourself, so you can make economical meals in batches, and freeze subsequent meals. You get your best bang for your buck doing this. Make chili, Lentle and chicken soup, meat loaf, chicken picata or marsala, etc. Also, oatmeal with raisins is your friend, as well as eggs. Think scrambled eggs with a little cheese and toast, french toast, fried egg sandwiches. Basically, your food and drink budget, along with grooming necessities needs to be no more than $150 a month, so leaving $30 a month for personal care items, your meals for the day should not be more than $4.00 a day. Economical snacking item would be popcorn (bought in the very large case pack) If landlord is a member of Costco or Sams club, they can help you out on these purchases.

There are web sites devoted to menu's for cooking on a strict budget. If you get the small freezer (cost about $159), then you can buy the large bags of frozen vegetables, like broccoli florets, string beans, mixed vegetable etc., which will much cheaper, as they are always accessible for any meal planning or soups. If the bedroom is large enough and the landlord permits it, you can even have a small (good quality) hot plate in your room and a broiler/baking/ toaster oven in your room, which would give you and your landlord more privacy. One of these might be good, and your landlord would be less likely to be concerned. http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Port...ords=hot+plate Though you would need to buy either Duxtop and other induction ready cookware such as stainless steel with a magnetic bottom, or cast iron to use with it.

Make ice tea for your beverage (or just water) or you can buy some healthy mixes like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered some of this, and it is pretty good. I use Stevia, but that is not in your budget at the moment, so you will have to add sugar or Equal for your sweetness.

You can start out at the Dollar store for your initial needs like toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc., and gradually add more when on sale. Buy tuna fish, and sardines, and bacon on sale, mayonaise with tomatoes and make BLT sandwiches along with tuna and sardine sandwiches. Too save money you can stock up on those Ramen Noodle packets, and add an egg in the water, any left over vegetables you may have, chicken, ham, cooked sausage (or Spam tastes very good in it believe it or not) Fresh spinach leaves are good in it. Just about anything can go into it, to give it some nutrition.

As to where to move. That is hard to answer. Without a car, you have transportation issues getting there, and then need some time to find a place to live, and transportation to find a place to live. The area needs to be affordable obviously, and you may need to post an add for room wanted within walking distance of food store, and go from there. Also check out the posts on an area you will be considering. Since you need to either walk or bike, a more moderate climate should be considered if possible. (or a very warm down coat) Then find a job as soon as you can.

Another important consideration. With your current income and age, I would definately locate to a state that expanded Medicaid so you will be fully covered for any health issues and medications.

Last edited by modhatter; 05-09-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 03:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
any suggestions?
details, briefly:

* no partner
* no children
* no pets
* no car
* no job
* F, 62

Is $660 your only total income, or is that your limit for housing?

Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
any suggestions?
details, briefly:

* no partner
* no children
* no pets
* no car
* no job
* F, 62

Call your local housing authority and get on their waiting list for a subsidized senior apartment. You will only have to pay 1/3 of your income. Put your name in for every city and town and don't get discouraged. You will get priority in the town you already live in or if you are an emergency case (homeless.) If you want to, you can also get on the section 8 waiting list. It can take years but if you stay on the list you will get to choose any place in the country that accepts section 8 and is in the predetermined price range

The subsidized housing will usually have buses to take people grocery shopping. If you are in a good state, the housing can be pretty nice but still small. If you are in New England, go elsewhere if you can as the housing is usually deplorable and the cost of living is very high.

It's probably better to live somewhere in the south. Even the thrift stores are expensive in New England. In places like Virginia and the Carolinas, you can buy clothing in a thrift store for a few dollars! Nice brands too.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 16,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is $660 your only total income, or is that your limit for housing?
hi and thanks for asking ... $660 will be total income ...
am in idaho now and really do not want to spend another winter here ...
i am thinking a room for rent somewhere, and was looking for suggestions ...

Old 05-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Call your local housing authority and get on their waiting list for a subsidized senior apartment. You will only have to pay 1/3 of your income. Put your name in for every city and town and don't get discouraged. You will get priority in the town you already live in or if you are an emergency case (homeless.) If you want to, you can also get on the section 8 waiting list. It can take years but if you stay on the list you will get to choose any place in the country that accepts section 8 and is in the predetermined price range

The subsidized housing will usually have buses to take people grocery shopping. If you are in a good state, the housing can be pretty nice but still small. If you are in New England, go elsewhere if you can as the housing is usually deplorable and the cost of living is very high.

It's probably better to live somewhere in the south. Even the thrift stores are expensive in New England. In places like Virginia and the Carolinas, you can buy clothing in a thrift store for a few dollars! Nice brands too.
thank you for your time in answering ... yes, during my searches online i have read info for subsidized housing, both hud and section 8 ... i was discouraged by 10-year-waiting lists! at that rate, i'll be dead before it happens ... i will do some more digging, thanks again

Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

As to where to move. That is hard to answer. Without a car, you have transportation issues getting there, and then need some time to find a place to live, and transportation to find a place to live. The area needs to be affordable obviously, and you may need to post an add for room wanted within walking distance of food store, and go from there. Also check out the posts on an area you will be considering. Since you need to either walk or bike, a more moderate climate should be considered if possible. (or a very warm down coat) Then find a job as soon as you can.

Another important consideration. With your current income and age, I would definately locate to a state that expanded Medicaid so you will be fully covered for any health issues and medications.
thank you for all your suggestions ... after i figure out the "where" i think i can manage the "how" ... i have not worked since 2009 and have bartered my way until now ... when i search for cheap places to live, i mostly come up with central american countries! and i cannot really imagine that, but maybe i should consider it ....

Old 05-09-2015, 07:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
hi and thanks for asking ... $660 will be total income ...
am in idaho now and really do not want to spend another winter here ...
i am thinking a room for rent somewhere, and was looking for suggestions ...
At that income you should be able to get food assistance (not sure what they call it now, food stamps?) for sure. In many places you can use these at farmer's markets, though they tend to be pricier than grocery stores. You could be a grainarian/vegetarian with some fish now and then, probably healthier than most other diets these days. There are also agencies that help seniors get appropriate jobs for their ability, so part-time income would really help.

Do you have savings/money sources to move away and start over someplace with warmer winters?

Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
thank you for all your suggestions ... after i figure out the "where" i think i can manage the "how" ... i have not worked since 2009 and have bartered my way until now ... when i search for cheap places to live, i mostly come up with central american countries! and i cannot really imagine that, but maybe i should consider it ....
Well my thought would be either Colorado Springs (mild winters and expanded medicaid for medical) or Las Vegas, Nv. (very mild winters, but brutal summers over 100 to 115 degrees) Wouldn't want to walk or bike very long in the summer, but no snow in the winter and hardly ever rains. Cost of living pretty reasonable. You can rent a room in Vegas for between the $350-$400 range. However, nothing is going to be as cheap as Idaho for general cost of living from what I understand. Public transportation not very good in Vegas from what I hear. Possibly some areas in New Mexico might work for climate, cost of living and health care. The three considerations.

But thinking with such an income, you may be on disability, in which case you would have health insurance covered. If so, then Florida would be a possibility, in which the West Coast is cheaper or somewhere around Ocala. But any of these areas are doable, if you can find a room close to all the shopping (both for food shopping and biking to a job)

You might check with Yellowsnow. She lives in Vegas and has done some checking into senior subsidized housing for a relative of hers. Didn't sound like the wait was that long. She posted a link recently about this.
Found it. Hear it is: Retiring Poor Is NOT as Bad as You Think!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
At that income you should be able to get food assistance (not sure what they call it now, food stamps?) for sure. In many places you can use these at farmer's markets, though they tend to be pricier than grocery stores. You could be a grainarian/vegetarian with some fish now and then, probably healthier than most other diets these days. There are also agencies that help seniors get appropriate jobs for their ability, so part-time income would really help.

Do you have savings/money sources to move away and start over someplace with warmer winters?
i do have an EBT card - (food stamps) and its worth is enough to feed myself ...
i should receive ss this month, the $660, i opted for early retirement
i exchange my skills for the roof over my head ...
perhaps i should simply be grateful that i am not sleeping on a sidewalk
and let thoughts go, of living by myself somewhere, in sunshine & in peace ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement