Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM

505 posts, read 716,583 times

Advertisements

Anyone have ideas for something new to do that is shoestring suitable? For the firt time in a long time I am sorta bored, Ideas would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
get a dvd and learn to belly dance! Raise a couple back-yard chickens! start a blog or vlog. Audition for a role in local theater group. teach yourself a new style of cooking. volunteer somewhere you never have before. change your "look" [old people can change their look] learn mandarin Chinese on youtube tutorials. change up your exercise regimen. write a book. join a different group at the senior citizen center. visit a nudist resort. find a friend who wants to make and sell cookies with you under the new cottage laws. pretend you are still working and plan a "staycation." get to know your neighbors. start collecting rocks [or anything] go fishing [ many states you can get your license for free] when you take your walk today, dress in a way that screams "I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY, I REFUSE TO BE INVISIBLE," read stories to kids at the library. learn to make balloon animals and pass them out at a park. if you have an extra bedroom, start an airbnb. get together with a few people in who live in yoyur area in real life from this forum ,

Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Aqua, do you have any public parks near you? How about a mall walk program? How about the library? There are usually volunteer opportunities or free days at museums etc., usually noted on a community radio program or in the newspaper.

We've had lots of experience being on a strict budget. As the economy tanked we pulled in our belts tighter and tighter. We gave up lots of things. Had to make adjustments along the way, get used to shopping thrift shops, no dinners out, no extra trips. Unfortunately, we have strained relationships with some relatives who did not understand our inability to drive to see them and have never gotten over it. Health and $ concerns made trips impossible plus the old vehicle I'm not entirely comfortable taking off in. Maybe some day they'll understand, but I'm not holding by breath. They're in their "earning" years now and don't see the long road ahead.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
plan a fall trip, and GO!

I stay in $10/ night guest homes, so even a great trip to Wash DC and biking it's 500 miles of trails through the autumn leaves is exciting and CHEAP.

Frontier and SWA and Spirit have been running flight specials under $50 one way.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:03 AM

thanks for the ideas.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
Anyone have ideas for something new to do that is shoestring suitable? For the firt time in a long time I am sorta bored, Ideas would be appreciated
IIRC, you are an artist?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:50 PM

haha Not at all. The closest I come is I have arthritis pretty extensively. (It starts with the word "art")

Old 09-25-2015, 02:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
haha Not at all. The closest I come is I have arthritis pretty extensively. (It starts with the word "art")
Are there any art classes anywhere near you for beginners? Our museums offer them, the classes are fun and relaxing and you meet new people.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
while I agree it'd be better to actually go to a class, if you can't find one, try youtubes. There's videos of almost anything.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
How about using some of your spare time to be a food demonstrator at a Costco [or similar place] on a Saturday morning? It gets you out and you also earn a little bit of money. This is the time of year they hire more of them, as the holidays approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement