Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketdrumz View Post
I hope I can join this blog! I'm trying to find a place that is accepting of my "radical" decision! I'll be leaving a very good job, but I am not happy at all there. Haven't been for 20 yrs. I have plans to live a simple life, which I would welcome at this point! "Frugal" would be so refreshing! I look forward to downsizing and taking a more minimalist approach to life. "THINGS" and possessions no longer do it for me. I have friends and family nearby, I have art and music in my life and I live in a beautiful place where I can hike for hours in secluded beauty! How I'd love to spend more time with the things that are important. It's a genuine existence I'm after. Know what I mean? It's not all about $$$ I'll be looking here for tips on how to be frugal!
Are you in the Reno area? Just nosey.

You sound very mustachian. Are you familiar with Mr. Money Mustache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:51 PM

524 posts, read 843,554 times
Stopped by to say hi! Still squeaking by on very little. Now I'm off to caregivers to see what Katherine of Aragon has posted about her mom.

Quick brag- my electric bill was in the $70 range last month which is very good for us

Old 07-28-2017, 05:32 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
I recently found out about a government program for supplemental food commodities. This program is for those who are over age 60 and there are income restrictions. Here's a link to the CSFP website.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Dee --- I have had my brother on the waiting list for that program for almost 4 years. It may be different down in Cochise County since the population is so much lower, but up here in Phoenix there is a long waiting list. I understand that the funding for the program has been cut. Good luck - I hope it is easier down there.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Holly, I registered for it without any waiting list.

When I first moved here, I'd gone to the food bank in the unincorporated area south of me. However I had a monthly meeting in the morning on the same day as that food bank. It was a headache to go to both. When I found out that SV's food bank was at the beginning of the month, I started going to SV. That's when I saw the truck for the CSFP, and I asked a neighbor about it. When I applied I found out that the CSFP truck only goes to a few locations within the county. Maybe your brother should try another location in the Phoenix area?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
We have to register according to zip code. Well, I am glad for you!!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
question for the group---how are you defining "retiring on a literal shoestring"? just curious

Old 07-30-2017, 10:43 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
question for the group---how are you defining "retiring on a literal shoestring"? just curious
Following this thread a long time, different posters define it differently.

I am on a military pension of $1480/month. Which is much better now that our children have all left home, but it was tight when we still had 5 kids at home.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
If anyone is looking for a low-income (40-60% range) apartment in SE Arizona, send me a PM. Our complex currently has three 3-bedroom and three 2-bedroom apartments available. Yes, no waiting list! These are gorgeous apartments with swimming pool, exercise room and a shared computer room. Each apartment has its own washer/dryer, walk in closet in master bedroom and huge bathrooms. Apartments are all electric, but with the solar cells, electric bills are more than reasonable.
sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you send a PM? Is "send quick reply" a PM?

Old 07-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Click on the poster's name, then click on "send direct message to ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement