Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Dry side:
Walla Walla, WA (I'm not sure of bus service out-of-town, but it's worth a look)
Wenatchee, WA
Ellensburg, WA

We_tside:
Olympia, WA
Poulsbo, WA (bit tough w/o a car, but possible& no college except in Bremerton)
Silverdale / Bremerton, WA
Port Orchard (ferry to Bremerton, then to SEA)
Bellingham / Fairhaven

Maybe Port Angeles, WA If you want to escape to Victoria, BC frequently (another city with good bus service, from there you can easily get to Vancouver, BC which is better yet!)

I really can't recommend OR since they have high income taxes with low threshold, But I would look at Corvallis and Eugene, possibly Bend if you want to escape the rain.
You've obviously been around. For some reason WA is way out of my experience visually and otherwise, plus volcano activity if I remember. I have been to Eugene and fell in love with the campus. I really liked the town. That's something for me to think about. Thanks for all your good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Any other retirees living on a shoestring want to weigh in on good small towns or small cities where you can live in a safe neighborhood and have public transport??? I am in the NE but would like to find a place with LOW property tax. I have a disability so I need to be close to things, cannot drive far for groceries, etc. and not on highways....
I am not a retiree living on a shoestring but I have enjoyed following this thread immensely....I want to weigh in for Minneapolis/St. Paul. I don't know the property tax situation there, but apart from the Midwestern weather, I think it is ideal in many ways. Culturally, for example, I believe it has per capita more theatres than anywhere in the U.S. It is, like Boston, very much a "college town" which gives it a vibrant "intellectual buzz." The town/gown dichotomy is largely absent there, and the University of Minnesota is very integrated into the community -- it is very easy for non-students to take extension classes at the U of M, and the selection of courses is mind-boggling!. In contrast to other big universities, they have always had an extraordinary "extension program"--very important if continuing education is your "thing."

Health care is first-rate. Sister Kenny Institute, for example, is I think the best in the country.

Generally speaking, it is a very "civic minded" and progressive city, where there is a lot of "community spirit."

Crime rate is very low (in comparison to other cities of its size). Physically, it is a very "suburban" city, with lots of beautiful public spaces and parks...and beautiful old residential architecture.

You can get by without a car pretty easily if you are strategic about choosing a neighborhood.

I love the Twin Cities and am considering "retiring on a shoestring" there myself.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Default Combining assets to create a community - like it!

Ok, much of the discussion focuses on moving west. Is anyone here in the east thinking of doing any of these things? I'm presently in NC/actually the small town I'm living in has all the features of walkability, etc but it's not really where I see myself staying. I'm likely focused on somewhere between Georgia & Virginia/including Tennessee. Anyone else not ready to follow Horace Greeley's admonition and instead keep their roots closer to the southern roots? Actually, I am headed in the next few weeks to visit a former B and B in Mars Hill NC that is for rent - six bedrooms , 5 baths - 1600.00 a month - any people curious to explore the southern regions as to livability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Well, it really comes down to how much money you have coming in and expenditures. We live on very little (1,500 a month) and for now in a small travel trailer parked at our sons house.

Our Bills we have gotten down to the bare necessities, no credit cards either. However, we are looking at some property up north in the boonies where the taxes are cheap. Another couple in their mid 60's are wanting to buy in with us and a few others, build alternative homes and become an intentional community.

We will grow the majority of our own food and have our own domiciles and a community building where we can develop a cottage industry. Most of us are over 65 and 3 of us are 55 (me included).

We see this as a viable alternative to high taxes, living alone, transportation issues and the cost of buying a condo somewhere.

We are going up north, south of Flagstaff on Monday.

Drop me a line and we will update you all....it's exciting.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I am not a retiree living on a shoestring but I have enjoyed following this thread immensely....I want to weigh in for Minneapolis/St. Paul. ...

I love the Twin Cities and am considering "retiring on a shoestring" there myself.
Here is a good 'walkable place to retire in MN, right along the green-belt / river, very nice, and lots of intellectual, talented, friendly 'cooperative' residents. (of course... it is MN) Lots of potlucks too
Becketwood (http://www.becketwood.com/index.html - broken link) It would be my choice, check out their hobby shop and indoor underground parking (For bikes AND cars). It also has a gorgeous interior and grounds. Sometimes a long waiting list for 2-3 bedroom units, but take a single unit and you will get first dibs on 'upsizing' (plus you will have less junk to move )

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
... Anyone else not ready to follow Horace Greeley's admonition and instead keep their roots closer to the southern roots? Actually, I am headed in the next few weeks to visit a former B and B in Mars Hill NC that is for rent - six bedrooms , 5 baths - 1600.00 a month - any people curious to explore the southern regions as to livability?
The West is not for everyone, and I would like a place in your region (TN / NC) for fall and winter. Maybe 'shared equity' with someone who wants spring and summer there (or a B&B or farm with guest qtrs). I need to look into 'fractional ownership' as an option. I know folks who have done that for vineyards in France. 4 folks each buy 1/4th ownership, and they stay for 3-6 months / yr depending on availability / demand. The vineyards usually come with a caretaker & house, as well as a main house and an additional guest house, or barn with apartment. ( I stayed in several - agritourismos in Europe) Agritourism World: world-wide directory of agritourism on the Internet USA folks found it less expensive than buying a vineyard in Napa Valley, OR, or WA.

Here is a site for intentional communities.
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

I'm game for one of these types of concepts if we can keep the 'bossy' people out It seems each group I visit or consult with has a 'self appointed leader'. Too bad, but it usually takes independent thinkers to fill the community, yet someone will go overboard and become a dictator of sorts. If that person leaves, someone else takes over. Just like the pecking order in a hen-house

Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Here is a good 'walkable place to retire in MN, right along the green-belt / river, very nice, and lots of intellectual, talented, friendly 'cooperative' residents. (of course... it is MN) Lots of potlucks too
Looks interesting, thanks! Only in Minnesota, that's for sure.

Can you say "hot dish"?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Becketwood (http://www.becketwood.com/index.html - broken link) It would be my choice, check out their hobby shop and indoor underground parking (For bikes AND cars). It also has a gorgeous interior and grounds. Sometimes a long waiting list for 2-3 bedroom units, but take a single unit and you will get first dibs on 'upsizing' (plus you will have less junk to move )

The West is not for everyone, and I would like a place in your region (TN / NC) for fall and winter. Maybe 'shared equity' with someone who wants spring and summer there (or a B&B or farm with guest qtrs). I need to look into 'fractional ownership' as an option. I know folks who have done that for vineyards in France. 4 folks each buy 1/4th ownership, and they stay for 3-6 months / yr depending on availability / demand. The vineyards usually come with a caretaker & house, as well as a main house and an additional guest house, or barn with apartment. ( I stayed in several - agritourismos in Europe) Agritourism World: world-wide directory of agritourism on the Internet USA folks found it less expensive than buying a vineyard in Napa Valley, OR, or WA.

Here is a site for intentional communities.
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

I'm game for one of these types of concepts if we can keep the 'bossy' people out It seems each group I visit or consult with has a 'self appointed leader'. Too bad, but it usually takes independent thinkers to fill the community, yet someone will go overboard and become a dictator of sorts. If that person leaves, someone else takes over. Just like the pecking order in a hen-house
No mention of allowing pets......

Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Any place that cannot bother to put ranges of prices (for buying in -or- for monthly fees) up on their website yet can conveniently put up a price for just getting on the waiting list, is off my list.

In this day and age, editing prices on a website takes 20 seconds. I don't want to call and be subjected to questions. Any question is one too many. Put your units up on the web with prices!

But I may be anti-Becketwood because that kind of place would drive me bonkers.
Neighbors on the other side of the wall? Eeeek

Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Looks interesting, thanks! Only in Minnesota, that's for sure.
There must be some truth to that; of ~90 total Senior Co-op Housing facilities in USA, over 80 are in MN area.

Quote:
No mention of allowing pets......
I know there were pets allowed in several co-ops I toured, not positive about Becketwood, but I will guess they are allowed.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm open to ideas (a little...)...Other than Boulder (thanks, LiveContent!) what PNW small cities (not suburban or in the country!) would allow one to live in town without a car, good public transport...like a downtown townhouse....that has low taxes and condo fees? Would this be in Oregon or WA state? Open the door, walk out to low-key shops and library, etc.....
I can't say anything about Washington but you don't want Oregon unless you have vast amounts of money. That is why I am planning to move away from there.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
I am not a retiree living on a shoestring but I have enjoyed following this thread immensely....I want to weigh in for Minneapolis/St. Paul. I don't know the property tax situation there, but apart from the Midwestern weather, I think it is ideal in many ways. Culturally, for example, I believe it has per capita more theatres than anywhere in the U.S. It is, like Boston, very much a "college town" which gives it a vibrant "intellectual buzz." The town/gown dichotomy is largely absent there, and the University of Minnesota is very integrated into the community -- it is very easy for non-students to take extension classes at the U of M, and the selection of courses is mind-boggling!. In contrast to other big universities, they have always had an extraordinary "extension program"--very important if continuing education is your "thing."

Health care is first-rate. Sister Kenny Institute, for example, is I think the best in the country.

Generally speaking, it is a very "civic minded" and progressive city, where there is a lot of "community spirit."

Crime rate is very low (in comparison to other cities of its size). Physically, it is a very "suburban" city, with lots of beautiful public spaces and parks...and beautiful old residential architecture.

You can get by without a car pretty easily if you are strategic about choosing a neighborhood.

Mpls is on my list as well. Do you know of any neighborhoods you can name specifically where a car would not be needed? M2CO was kind enough to take me around when I visited and I saw many great neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement