Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
... I received 1/2 my property taxes back (paid $3600 and received a check for $1800) because I am retired and my income is low. My monthly payments don't change - ever. Everything else does - utilities, taxes, etc...
The full tax bill for your home is $3600; and you got a 50% reduction due to your age and low income.

Isn't $3600 'high'?

I am glad for you that you got the reduction. But $3600/year is like $300/month.

If someone was on a $1,000/month pension, that is near a third of their income going to property taxes.

Thank God that you got a reduction.

It seems an apt example of how an area with high-taxes or an area with low-taxes can be a huge difference in whether folks can afford to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Yes - it's very high, but I live in the suburb of Edina, which is a nice area. Our taxes are higher than some other burbs, but remember, MN is notorius for high taxes. Yes, sometimes it's good to be poor.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Yes - it's very high, but I live in the suburb of Edina, which is a nice area. Our taxes are higher than some other burbs, but remember, MN is notorius for high taxes. Yes, sometimes it's good to be poor.
I was ticked off last year when our taxes shot up to over $800.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This area isn't THAT nice!!! Just got my property tax statement for next year (I plan to be GONE) - taxes are going up 3% Gotta fix those roads and oh yes, bridges (that's a joke).

Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:

Do you think that the state of Maine is trying to bring the tax rate up on par with the rest of the country? Hiking it up every so often? Do you have any propositions like Prop 2 1/2 in Massachusetts (do Mainahs get to vote on tax hikes?)

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Do you think that the state of Maine is trying to bring the tax rate up on par with the rest of the country? Hiking it up every so often? Do you have any propositions like Prop 2 1/2 in Massachusetts (do Mainahs get to vote on tax hikes?)
No.

Our mil-rate is going up but only slightly.

We had been paying $47 each year for property taxes.

In designing our home, I messed up the choices I made. Not knowing the laws here. So as our house is nearly completion it was re-assessed, they now assessed it much higher, and our taxes went to around $850.

We thought it was a huge leap to go from having been paying $47 every year to $850. But as we researched it a bit we found out why, and it was entirely my fault. Had I chosen a different home design, we would still be paying $47.

In retrospect paying $850 for 42 acres with river frontage and a large 3bdrm house is not bad. So I really can not complain.

Then we look and see folks who pay thousands of dollars, in other states, wow!

In comparison, it seems that our taxes are still very low.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
No.

Our mil-rate is going up but only slightly.

We thought it was a huge leap to go from having been paying $47 every year to $850. But as we researched it a bit we found out why, and it was entirely my fault. Had I chosen a different home design, we would still be paying $47.

In retrospect paying $850 for 42 acres with river frontage and a large 3bdrm house is not bad. So I really can not complain.

Then we look and see folks who pay thousands of dollars, in other states, wow!

In comparison, it seems that our taxes are still very low.
Do be careful, it's a slippery slope... Your increase is double the percent mine increased when going from $800 at completion ($120k valuation) to $8000 in 10 yrs, and now $12,000 in 4 more yrs. (assessed at $1m, but worth ~$500k, no bites at $500k... Neighbors (in the correct county) just dropped their price to $430k from $799k.. their taxes are indicated to be $600/yr (not fully assessed for sure, likely will stabilize at $2500, not terrible for No-Income-Tax state... if you are lucky enough to have income...).

I made some poor choices too. (like building 300' outside the CORRECT county). I have since read, and re-read the book "Low Tax Housing" and will be very careful heading forward. (probably sticking to a 'house on wheels' + a nice barn ). If I do build another house, it will have a SMALL main floor w/ one sink and one toilet, LARGE unfinished daylight basement (50% tax rate) & a few LARGE 'lofts' (Not taxed). w/ additional bathrooms added after inspection (adequate septic done up front). No built-in dishwasher / microwave, disposal. (they can all be added later if needed) and wall-to-wall plywood (or cheesy vinyl floor covering). No decks, no concrete slabs, side walks, fireplaces, tile, marble, attic fans, & use crummy siding and tin roofing (all can easily be changed later). I will add window headers into framing, but have minimal windows at inspection and visible from the road (assessor). Later... I will veneer the crummy siding with stone, and roof with nice covering (sides away from street)

The taxes on my dirt alone are $6000 / yr, so I won't be parking in this neighborhood, tho the view is stunning at the moment.

vista house + oregon - Google Images
cape horn + WA - Google Images

And being 20 minutes from a good international airport and 4 colleges is nice, while living in a protected area (no more houses / land splits available). But this is at too high of a tax cost for 'shoestring' living.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
A few days ago I noticed some retirement info that was an eye-opener. I found out that a retiree in our town who lives on a small retirement income is renting a nice apt for $17/month. These apts are HUGE and very nice. I think it speaks well that this person is able to have housing provided well within her budget. After talking to someone else, there is a rather large wait list, but eventually, the people who need this same rent range will have a nice, affordable place to live that won't break the bank.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
..a retiree in our town who lives on a small retirement income is renting a nice apt for $17/month. ...
and a clue on YOUR location, or nearby? (County / state ...)?

7,500ft is my only clue. I grew up in Estes Park, Colo (7,500ft) But I know Santa Fe is near 7500 ft, and I think Jackson, WY is also 7500. None of those are too likely, but there will be many towns in those states + UT, MT, ID, CA, AZ that would fit, and LOTS of cheap places in South and Central America. I haven't found any cheap places in Canada or AK, but it is possible you are there.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
The only way you can really cheap good retirement housing that it would be some kind of subsidized program such as HUD, a local goverment or non-profit group. $17 dollars a month---I would tend to doubt that figure.

This is going to annoy some of you people but in many ways, when you are elderly, it may be be better to be poor than just to be getting by your income. Of course, it is much better if you are rich and you will have no problems. But being poor is better than just being above the poverty line because you can qualify for many programs. Having more dependents will give you more help and unfortunately we have those "baby makers" who take advantage of the system--even some of the elderly because their chidren have children, abandon them--give them to the grandparents--they get more dependents and now can get more help.

I am poor and disabled but I have too much in savings because I am frugal. Consequently, I get very little additional help. I am constantly told by agencies that to qualify I must spend down my savings, add to my house (your house in exempt from calculations) or buy a new car (again another exemption). I do not have any dependents, maybe I need to "make some babies".

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement