Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I guess you have not been out to Salinas, nor know this area. No way would I EVER live in Salinas!! I have a friend who was freaked out when his son bought a home in Salinas. Salinas is the central point of gangs here! It is not a place I'd even go into....no thanks. No, it's not a desirable place. Yes, I know people live there, but gangs are out-of-control there, too. I wouldn't put myself into a possibly very dangerous situation. I won't get into a whole discussion about it, and anyone out here knows that Salinas is a huge gang haven. I don't know how Monterey County is going to get it under control -- although the Governor's office is helping them out, currently. It's very sad to listen to the nightly news about all the shootings, stabbings and gang murders there. Unfortunately, there is also collateral damage with "innocents." Narcotics, weapons flow through Salinas - Crime & Courts - Modbee.com

Where I am is MUCH nicer, cleaner and safer. The neighborhood I described has quite a large number of millionaires there -- that's why I was surprised to find it in that neighborhood.

I, personally, am not concerned about a washer and dryer. I don't have one now! I use the washer and dryer in the clubhouse that is directly across from my house. I don't really feel like getting one - I'd rather use my space for something else. I can do three loads at once there, and it's cheaper (we're seniors), and I don't have to do it during the week. No, that's not a concern for me. I'm sure they have something there -- it's just not a priority for me. If they have all those other amenities, I'm sure they have a washer and dryer, too -- it was a pretty nice complex.

Thanks for the tip, but knowing the area well, there is no way I'd live out there. Sorry.
]

Sorry too! This then cannot be the place this former relative lives, as her family would never let her live in such an area. Anyway, never been to CA except for Sacramento and north of that. (A sister is in SAn Clemente but have not visited her there). It's pretty sad and scary that this is happening so many places, and spreading. Hope they get it under control.

On a shoestring note, was waiting in line at the bank and noticed a sign that says when you hit 65 (4 yrs off for me) you don't have to pay any banking fees, a federal law. I'm sure that excludes bounced check fees. The sign says you have to notify the bank of your age, they will not seek you out to estend this benefit. Anyway, thought I'd pass it along for what it's worth...

Any other great findings for seniors that we might not know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
Quote:
Newenglandgirl: On a shoestring note, was waiting in line at the bank and noticed a sign that says when you hit 65 (4 yrs off for me) you don't have to pay any banking fees, a federal law. I'm sure that excludes bounced check fees. The sign says you have to notify the bank of your age, they will not seek you out to estend this benefit. Anyway, thought I'd pass it along for what it's worth...
When I was 55 I got a free forever checking account through my local credit union -- I think it's called the Golden Account or something like that. It's great!

There's a store out here called Ross -- I don't know if they're all over the country or not -- and they are an outlet chain, and have great bargains on many, many things, including clothes, furniture, bedding, shoes, kitchenware, etc. On Tuesdays they have 10% off for 55+. I used to work in one of our offices near that store (I now work in the mountains), and at lunch time on Tuesdays you could tell all of us over 55! We'd be in there milling around seeing what bargains we could get!

And, because I won't drive from Santa Cruz to San Jose -- the only way to get there is by a road called Highway 17, which is well-known for numerous fatal accidents because it's a winding mountain road and people go well over the 45mph limit! They even have a section of the road (I think) called "Deadman's Pass" because it is on a curve and you don't know that if you don't make the curve, you'll go over the cliff! Anyway, there is a daily bus that goes over to San Jose from here and usually the one-way fee is $4.00 (which is a deal) and for over 62, it's only $2.00. I'd much rather ride on a comfortable Amtrak bus with wi-fi and cup holders, leaving the driving to the bus driver, than to drive in fear dodging speeding cars on a mountain road!

There are all kinds of deals for Seniors out there!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
]

Never be embarrassed or too shy to ask for a discount at any establishment!!

About 2 years ago, I took my new cat to the vet that the pound had recommended. I jokingly asked about a discount. "AAA? AARP? College employee? Anything?" The lady pointed to a sign (With a picture of Maxine on it, LOL!) above my head that said ... "We won't ask your age, but if you can prove you're 55 or older we'll give you a 10% discount." Score!

And not just for seniors - - if you're a member of the Automobile Club (AAA) and also shop at Payless Shoe Stores, they give a 10% discount. Even on sale items.

(Was gonna mention Ross Dress for Less, but Wisteria beat me too it )

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Ross is nationwide. Have them here on the east coast & I've seen them all over the country. Few places extend the sr. discounts to 55 so that is good to know. Most shopping areas look the same with the same stores coast to coast now.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I, personally, am not concerned about a washer and dryer. I don't have one now! I use the washer and dryer in the clubhouse that is directly across from my house. I don't really feel like getting one - I'd rather use my space for something else. I can do three loads at once there, and it's cheaper (we're seniors), and I don't have to do it during the week. No, that's not a concern for me. I'm sure they have something there -- it's just not a priority for me. If they have all those other amenities, I'm sure they have a washer and dryer, too -- it was a pretty nice complex...(
I have my own washer and dryer. I also have big double basin utility sink. Here in Denver, it is so dry that having a clothes line works great and I have one in the basement for use of some items but generally use the dryer.

I will never go back to hauling clothes to a laundry room. That would be too difficult for me. I have not done that for 30 years with the exception of the time I spend in the Antarctic, New Zealand and some travel needs.

Believe me, I am not a clean freak, I just do not like laundry rooms or laundromats, even if they are free. However, in college, I used to meet all these great woman at laundromats. Doing Laundry together is great introduction. In addition, It is very difficult for a woman to lie about not being married/involved or having children because her laundry tells the truth.

To me, doing laundry is a drudge and I do it while doing other tasks or better yet, taking a nap. I do not like sitting in a laundry room or running back and forth with quarters to check my load. Also, people have dogs and cats (which I have an allergy) and I cannot have animal hair all over my clothes--YUCK!

Livecontent

Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
]

Sorry too! This then cannot be the place this former relative lives, as her family would never let her live in such an area. Anyway, never been to CA except for Sacramento and north of that. (A sister is in SAn Clemente but have not visited her there). It's pretty sad and scary that this is happening so many places, and spreading. Hope they get it under control.

On a shoestring note, was waiting in line at the bank and noticed a sign that says when you hit 65 (4 yrs off for me) you don't have to pay any banking fees, a federal law. I'm sure that excludes bounced check fees. The sign says you have to notify the bank of your age, they will not seek you out to estend this benefit. Anyway, thought I'd pass it along for what it's worth...

I can't find online the federal law you are referring to (where people over 65 don't pay bank fees); if you have any specific info or a source, I'd love to see it.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I can't find online the federal law you are referring to (where people over 65 don't pay bank fees); if you have any specific info or a source, I'd love to see it.
It was posted at my bank, on the counter. Maybe google "banks waive fees for seniors"-- I'll see if I can find it online.

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-24-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 AM

Fellow shoestringers, I have a dilemma and would like your opinion. I rec'd in the mail a notice that home modification funds (thanks, LiveContent) that I inquired about are now available in my area. I have a lengthy app to fill out. I am torn about whether to do it or not. If I stay here permanently I will need this small house modified, it has terrible access even though the house itself is nice. I would need a ramp, inside things to make getting around easier, new outside stairs, etc. It can get paid back when the house is sold but it all must be paid back in my case maybe $10K. The problem is, I really want to move b/c of taxes and upkeep of the outdoor property that my son has to do. The house itself is fine, the location is nice, the grounds are too much. I tried selling last year to know avail, though I'm in a very good area near colleges so I could try again with a lower price. I have a housemate for one month, then she's gone in OCt. and I will face the winter. The funds for the mod are now available and may not be again for some time. Should I pass it up in view of listing the house in the spring, or accept the fact that if I want to stay in NewEngl in my own place I wold probably have to stay here, as all around me the house costs are much higher and taxes higher too? NOt to mention the physical effort in moving!! (I feel like I;'m on a little island )...Just wondering, I know it's my decision, but....???

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Fellow shoestringers, I have a dilemma and would like your opinion. I rec'd in the mail a notice that home modification funds (thanks, LiveContent) that I inquired about are now available in my area. I have a lengthy app to fill out. I am torn about whether to do it or not. If I stay here permanently I will need this small house modified, it has terrible access even though the house itself is nice. I would need a ramp, inside things to make getting around easier, new outside stairs, etc. It can get paid back when the house is sold but it all must be paid back in my case maybe $10K. The problem is, I really want to move b/c of taxes and upkeep of the outdoor property that my son has to do. The house itself is fine, the location is nice, the grounds are too much. I tried selling last year to know avail, though I'm in a very good area near colleges so I could try again with a lower price. I have a housemate for one month, then she's gone in OCt. and I will face the winter. The funds for the mod are now available and may not be again for some time. Should I pass it up in view of listing the house in the spring, or accept the fact that if I want to stay in NewEngl in my own place I wold probably have to stay here, as all around me the house costs are much higher and taxes higher too? NOt to mention the physical effort in moving!! (I feel like I;'m on a little island )...Just wondering, I know it's my decision, but....???
I just heard that existing home sales have dropped again 20%. I would like to downsize and move to a more tax friendly area in AZ but feel like we are chasing the ball downhill. I would hesitate to put money into a home you will lose even more on right now. You could sell "as is" and when you sell low perhaps you can still buy low or lower if things continue to drop. It is a sad statement of our economy right now. I hope things work out for you.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I just heard that existing home sales have dropped again 20%. I would like to downsize and move to a more tax friendly area in AZ but feel like we are chasing the ball downhill. I would hesitate to put money into a home you will lose even more on right now. You could sell "as is" and when you sell low perhaps you can still buy low or lower if things continue to drop. It is a sad statement of our economy right now. I hope things work out for you.
Thanks for your thoughts. I saw the same report today in the WashPost.

I also have several windows to replace (the roof, furnace, water heater and everything else is new) besides any home modifcation I need, but I don't want to put any of my own current money into the house as I will need it in my retirement funds. If I spend money of my own now, will I ever get it back if existing houses continue to drop in value?

What is going on in this country? Is this a problem in all states, or in just a few? Why aren't people buying existing homes?? If they have families they have to live somewhere and rents are really high. How are new home sales doing?

Is anyone else on this thread have a home up for sale, or about to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement