Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:33 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I used to ride a bike a lot when I lived in the city. Where I live now there are a lot of country roads with a speed limit of 55 and little or no shoulder to them. I don't really feel safe at all riding in a situation like that.
I practically lived on my bike in my 20s. But when I moved to the east, this is what I found. No shoulders means no place for a bike. All the blind curves and turns - I'm scared of bikes when I'm in a car on these roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I do ride my bike for health reasons and for the cost savings, but mostly I ride my bike 'cause it makes me feel about 11 years old and free as the breeze....
About six months after my wife and I began dating, I bought her a bicycle for Christmas. We were still in our teens. Most of our dates would be a simple 14 mile loop through the countryside. That was about 40 years ago. Now...we bicycle almost daily on the wide streets through our Albuquerque neighborhood, and on the bicycle paths nearby. Your comment reminded me of what my wife has said: "Bicycling is the one thing I do that makes me feel like a kid again." Sometimes when I'm on my bicycle, I think about what a great invention the bicycle was...

Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
take a bicycle repair workshop alot of big chain bike stores offer to show you how to tune up your bike and maintain it it depends on how much you want to learn and what type of bike you want because I doubt you would need some features like hydralic disc brakes and carbon fiber frames
Good advice. Thanks. One of my soldiers just bought a new mountain bike and I was admiring it and asked him "where are the brakes?" - and he pointed to the hydraulic brakes - probably thought his boss was clueless (which I am about bikes). Hydraulic brakes for a bike - pretty high tech.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i stopped they run over bicyclists here.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll be getting into riding for exercise soon. Any suggestions for good websites for learning about street bikes - recommendations, etc. other than the forum linked in the first post above.
Looks like a good one........
Bicycle Germany

Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I use to ride all over Germany when I lived there. I also rode in Japan, but I felt it was somewhat dangerous so I mainly rode on the Air Base there.

Here in Portland, which according to Portland is America's bike mecca, I would not ride a bike if they paid me. There really are not alot of bike paths, though many residents would tell people there were. Much of the riding is in the street, and it seems there is more and more accidents between bikes and cars. Bikes are constantly on the sidewalk here, and pedestrians are always having to jump out of the way as they fly by.

I prefer to walk and generally walk several miles every day. When I did ride it was for health and cost savings, as well as I never have believed in just driving to get places.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Riding a bike is ok for younger retirees, I guess. But IMO it's dangerous for older folks unless you're in a very controlled, flat surface environment.

As you get older, your sense of balance is not as good. Your reflexes don't react as quickly as they once did, which means you're more likely to hit a bump or a pothole, and you're less able to swerve away quickly when a surprise comes up.

Most importantly, falls from a bike are much more serious for an older person. We don't heal as rapidly as we did when we were young.

I'm a big fan of walking, though. I walk more now that I'm retired than I did in my younger days, about 5 miles per day. IMO it's the perfect exercise.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Riding a bike is ok for younger retirees, I guess. But IMO it's dangerous for older folks unless you're in a very controlled, flat surface environment.

As you get older, your sense of balance is not as good. Your reflexes don't react as quickly as they once did, which means you're more likely to hit a bump or a pothole, and you're less able to swerve away quickly when a surprise comes up.

Most importantly, falls from a bike are much more serious for an older person. We don't heal as rapidly as we did when we were young.

I'm a big fan of walking, though. I walk more now that I'm retired than I did in my younger days, about 5 miles per day. IMO it's the perfect exercise.
Unless the older person has balance issues this advice is pure baloney!

In fact there is no better form of exercise for ANYONE than cycling due
to the low impact on the joints. If all a person can do is tootle around
the neighborhood then that is plenty for a days workout.

Oh yes, don't forget the adult trike which will help all with balance issue.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
yep, my grandfather used to ride a "trike" when he was 70-80s. Remember it well. Every day.

There's a lot of benefit for bike riding for adults, but the poster was right, can pose a problem if reflexes/balance problems are there- wouldn't say "baloney" -

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
yep, my grandfather used to ride a "trike" when he was 70-80s. Remember it well. Every day.

There's a lot of benefit for bike riding for adults, but the poster was right, can pose a problem if reflexes/balance problems are there- wouldn't say "baloney" -
The "baloney" is bacause the post I commented on viewed cycling as a
two wheel activity only which is false to the max and could
discourage some folk's from even trying. Not good..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement