U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
 
4,105 posts, read 6,431,057 times
Reputation: 4200

Advertisements

Forty years ago I was stationed in NC and I loved it. Great weather, wonderful fishing, and the people were exceptionally friendly. After my tour of duty I returned to my native PA but I promised myself I would someday go back to NC. After retirement I headed back to NC. What I found was not what I left forty years ago. I was greatly disappointed. After two years of trying to make it work I gave up and sold my house.
I began to look for another location when some of my old co-workers who were about to retire told me that several were going to retire to SC and that I should look there. I listened and bought a house in SC. However, my co-workers decided not to retired until the company forces them to do so. Once again I find myself alone and in a very unfriendly place, and once again I put my house on the market. Ironically, in recent trips back to PA I find that the PA/NJ/DE is the place I really would rather be.
I guess it comes down to there is no place like home.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
 
942 posts, read 1,069,756 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Forty years ago I was stationed in NC and I loved it. Great weather, wonderful fishing, and the people were exceptionally friendly. After my tour of duty I returned to my native PA but I promised myself I would someday go back to NC. After retirement I headed back to NC. What I found was not what I left forty years ago. I was greatly disappointed. After two years of trying to make it work I gave up and sold my house.
I began to look for another location when some of my old co-workers who were about to retire told me that several were going to retire to SC and that I should look there. I listened and bought a house in SC. However, my co-workers decided not to retired until the company forces them to do so. Once again I find myself alone and in a very unfriendly place, and once again I put my house on the market. Ironically, in recent trips back to PA I find that the PA/NJ/DE is the place I really would rather be.
I guess it comes down to there is no place like home.
Don
Good for you, I am glad you found what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,834,051 times
Reputation: 6195
Donsabi, how was North Carolina different than what you left earlier in your life? Was it the level of development that surprised you, and if so did you see the area before buying? How were the people different than what you expected?

Generally I believe most folks have the view that folks in the Carolinas would be easier to be around than folks from the New Jersey and PA area (BTW, I grew up in Philly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 11:05 PM
 
942 posts, read 1,069,756 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Donsabi, how was North Carolina different than what you left earlier in your life? Was it the level of development that surprised you, and if so did you see the area before buying? How were the people different than what you expected?

Generally I believe most folks have the view that folks in the Carolinas would be easier to be around than folks from the New Jersey and PA area (BTW, I grew up in Philly).
They may have that view but people may also have the view that those in jersey and that region, are easier than those in the carolinas, Its all in what and who one is comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
 
4,105 posts, read 6,431,057 times
Reputation: 4200
NewToCA
When I was stationed in NC in the 60s locals were very friendly and accepting of northerners who were polite and respectful. Some of my fellow servicemen were wiseguys and did not do well there. I loved NC and the people at that time. I swore I would go back and I did when I retired 40 years later. After moving there I was in shock at how cold the people had become. It seemed that their whole attitude had changed. Has one girl put it, we just go to church and stay by ourselves.
In a recent trip back to Philadelphia I found the people to be just as friendly as when I left. The food was great! Man do I miss that food.
BTW, to clarify, PA/South NJ/DE is where I rather be.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,342,943 times
Reputation: 7583
Well, put us into the "no place like home" category...my husband and I truly dreamed of living in the Caribbean - we were there every chance we got for vacations, for weeks on end. As fate would have it, a pharmacy position opened up on St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, whereupon we took a trip and decided this would work very nicely and we would move there and he could work for a few years and retire. And so we did - sold our wonderful historic home in a small town in Arkansas and moved to St. Croix right at the top of the housing boom there, so we couldn't buy, which ended up being a blessing - we absolutely were miserable. Cost of living, general living conditions, "island time", rude locals - ick. After 14 months we heard our same little town had an opening with the same company, so we threw our hat in the ring - and now we are back in the river valley of Arkansas and just bought the house next door to our ex-house, which we are moving into this week. So we traveled 2500 miles to end up 60 feet from where we started...and there truly is no place like home. It sounded really good to us, but it was a different lifestyle and different culture and we never caught our stride....I guess the South will always be home for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,930,880 times
Reputation: 3840
It's nice to hear a happy ending, and a journey worth explored.

Thanks for sharing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, put us into the "no place like home" category...my husband and I truly dreamed of living in the Caribbean - we were there every chance we got for vacations, for weeks on end. As fate would have it, a pharmacy position opened up on St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, whereupon we took a trip and decided this would work very nicely and we would move there and he could work for a few years and retire. And so we did - sold our wonderful historic home in a small town in Arkansas and moved to St. Croix right at the top of the housing boom there, so we couldn't buy, which ended up being a blessing - we absolutely were miserable. Cost of living, general living conditions, "island time", rude locals - ick. After 14 months we heard our same little town had an opening with the same company, so we threw our hat in the ring - and now we are back in the river valley of Arkansas and just bought the house next door to our ex-house, which we are moving into this week. So we traveled 2500 miles to end up 60 feet from where we started...and there truly is no place like home. It sounded really good to us, but it was a different lifestyle and different culture and we never caught our stride....I guess the South will always be home for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
 
252 posts, read 986,702 times
Reputation: 172
I am with ya Don...........I was raised in the midwest, and was in the service here in NC......Of course I went back to the midwest but generally did not like it here the first time. But, somehow I ended up back here about an hour from where I was stationed 20+yrs later!!! Talk about full circle! I did my very best not to relocate here, but I was not making the decision alone. Another 14yrs later now, I am alone and heading for another area also. I still don't like it here.......LOL.....But, there is no place like home! I miss the food, the people, and the general feel. But, can't go back to the freezing temps anymore. Who knows I may end up living back there again someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
 
5,825 posts, read 13,339,600 times
Reputation: 9304
Default So many choices...

We originally thought about Hawaii, but decided after 3-4 weeks, we had island fever; checked DE, MD, PA because we definitely want out of Jersey. We bought a house in Saratoga, NY and absolutely love the area! There are a lot of activities, art and cultural events. The people are friendly, helpful and honest. One daughter and grandchildren are about 30 miles away (not too close, not too far). We spend a great deal of time there and will move permanently in a few months. As of now we can't wait to move permanently. Best advice I can offer is spend a lot of time wherever you are considering retiring to before you buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 AM
 
4,105 posts, read 6,431,057 times
Reputation: 4200
One major thing I have learned is that you cannot know a place with a few short visits. Just as Ellwood pointed out, spend as much time at the new location as possible. Finanically I think it would be better to bite the bullet and lease a residence for a year. If you decide you don't like it you will have saved yourself much grief and money. If you do like it you will have had a chance to know the area and people who may save you a bundle in a home purchase.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top