U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,188,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
Since my husband has retired from 40 years in the post office he is very depressed that friends no longer come around to visit him. He actually cries and says everthing he does is a failure and no hope about the future etc.

He is only 59 The doctor suggested prozac but he doesn't want to take it

Counselrs tell him everyone goes through this but it doesn't help him. he stays indoors and doesn't do much all day, goes to bed early and gets up early.

He has a loyal siamese cat that is his only friend.

He has no interest in anything - he used to love model train. He isn't imterested in tv any more.
Any suggestions about reinventing himself
Maybe he should go back to the Post Office if he really wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM

702 posts, read 2,892,002 times
When you quit or retire from the postal service there is no going back. You are finished in that line of work.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,188,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
When you quit or retire from the postal service there is no going back. You are finished in that line of work.
There are other jobs he can try part time or he could take up a hobby.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,892,002 times
Default Retire?...are You Kidding? They Need Me!

Quote:
Since my husband has retired from 40 years in the post office he is very depressed that friends no longer come around to visit him. He actually cries and says everthing he does is a failure and no hope about the future etc.

Counselrs tell him everyone goes through this but it doesn't help him. he stays indoors and doesn't do much all day, goes to bed early and gets up early.

He has no interest in anything - he used to love model train. He isn't imterested in tv any more.

I worked at the same place as my friend and we retired within months of each other. Before our retirement we would often get together for a few beers and talk about the upcoming time to relax. We pondered the things that we could then do that we had no time for when working. One subject that always came up was talking about some of the other people at work who felt that the place would close when they left. They never realized that they were not so important other than being a good worker. They felt that things would fall apart, crash and burn, when they leave. This thinking seems to result in a great loss when they do retire. We saw this happen to several other employees. They were amazed that things just hummed along even when they were gone. It started to sink in that they were just numbers. Sure, great workers, but still just numbers when they left. This did not sit well with them. One of them kept stopping in at work and checking on others to see how things were going. It got to the point where he was finally told that he couldnít hang around because it was disrupting things. Several months later he committed suicide.

My friend and I get together often since our retirement. We also get together with other friends who have retired. This situation seems to be good for all of us. We are all in the same boat, so to speak. We tell war stories from our working days and laugh. I think that it is a good thing to keep friends that you enjoyed when working together. Now that you are both retired you can share a lot. We find it best NOT to go back to see how things are going. We know they are going just fine without us. I canít wait for the next time we share a few beers and laugh about the poor guys still working. Retirement is a GOOD THING that should be shared with others.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM

761 posts, read 637,452 times
Quote:

He has no interest in anything - he used to love model train. He isn't interested in tv any more.
Break out those model trains and set them up yourself. If you do it wrong he will be sure to correct you and show you the right way to do it. Tell him that the trains need to work and not collect dust to be effective (sort of like a life analogy).

Ask him what the difference is in train scales; G scale, etc.
See what he likes better, steam, diesel or electric.

Not sure if he likes birdwatching and feeding, but that has become my hobby and I am still working.
Waiting for the hummingbirds to arrive, bringing their young around and watching them slowly migrate to warmer climates once the season is over.

If it isn't too boring for you, find some model train conventions and plan a few day trips.
Once he gets talking with other enthusiasts, you may find that you have created a monster. Lol

Scatter a few model train catalogs around on the coffee table and get him a subscription to a hobby magazine.

Best of luck!
You can do it.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 AM

10,318 posts, read 9,369,968 times
The OP posted just one time about this issue, back in 2007.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
So far the consensus seems to be against taking any kind of medication. I feel that medication is necessary in some cases. I would like to hear from a member of the medical profession on this point.
I am not a medical doctor but there are 4 M.D. in the family + 3 in health care fields. I have seen first hand remarkable recovery from depression with medications. I firmly believe that chemical imbalance (be it the cause, the effect or a negative feedback loop) plays a large role in depression. There are many scientific studies showing measurable changes both in blood test and brain activities associating with depression. Some people has genetic predisposition to depression. Life events such as job loss, divorce can trigger the symptoms. All it takes it a slight imbalance of hormones or neurotransmitter such as serotonin to start the feeling (or the sad feeling could cause the imbalance) then other life habits (lack of sleep or too much sleep, inactivity, eating junk foods etc) accelerate the chemical imbalance leading to further depression.

Yes, psychological counseling, life habit changes, diet, exercise etc can help to alleviate or even cure mild depression but if these behavioral modifications alone do not work, medication is the only cure left.

People responds differently to different type of medication so one may need to try different one until finding one which works. I personally know 3 persons who responded very well to Lexapro after trying other medications (Prozac and Wellbutrin - either finding them not too effective or with many side effects).

Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,418,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
A lot of zombie threads resurrected lately.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
A lot of zombie threads resurrected lately.
because the topic is still 'current' not to OP but to others. I hope that my 2 cents regarding the necessity of medication can be of help to people who are suffering from depression.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 AM

761 posts, read 637,452 times
Default Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Hah, I am a little slow, by about 8 years.
I wonder how these nice people are doing today?

I noticed that the lady hasn't posted anything at all in 5 years.
Not sure if that is good or bad.

That 2 cents worth I put in has been inflated to about 2 dollars in today's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or