Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times

Advertisements

Given the research that continually show that older people live longer, healthier, and happier with a pet, that is a really excellent idea. There are groups that bring their pets who are screened for friendliness to nursing homes and such to help out, but all animal lovers should have the opportunity. There are so many pets needing homes. It isn't just having a pet for a while that helps - it is the relationship that develops between a person and the pet. I've promised my mother to adopt any and all pets she has whenever her demise comes. She only trusts me to give them a really good life among my siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
We're fortunate in Knoxville to have several programs to help people keep pets as long as possible.
HABIT (Human Animal Bond in Tennessee) works with nursing homes, rehab facilities and other facilities. It's run by the University of Tennessee College of Veterinarian Medicine. It was started in 1986 and is still going strong.
The H.A.B.I.T. Homepage (broken link)
The County Animal Shelter also has a service that matches pets with senior citizens, particularly low income.
Senior Services Directory | Pet Service
There are various low-cost clinics available for care. We're very pet friendly in Knoxville.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Pet Friendly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Great thread Jay! I'd be very interested in reading your article when it is completed. In 2004, I was looking for pet friendly areas of the country and came across huge dog parks in Northern FL (JAX and Gainesville I believe). It was a great concept and one I wish was done in more cities. I can certainly 'google' for more info, but if you can provide any 'urls' for the places that you mention above, that would also be very helpful:-)

By the way, are you a freelance journalist?
HDL - I love your "location" - just got introduced to this site - LOVE animals exp dogs - we have a state of the art dog park here - over 1000 dogs came to our festival recently - oh, yeah - they brought their masters too! - and all got along!! What state/city are you in? Love your attitude

Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Smile Pet Friendly

You had a great idea! You should follow it through.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up How SWEET of you Bette!!!

I live in Boise, Idaho ! Where are you at Bette (city/state)? What Festival did your town just have? Tell us MORE about your town's state of the art dog park!!!

And keeping OT (On Topic), are you looking for a Retirement Pet Community? I know that I will be sometime in the distant future (lol) !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
HDL - I love your "location" - just got introduced to this site - LOVE animals exp dogs - we have a state of the art dog park here - over 1000 dogs came to our festival recently - oh, yeah - they brought their masters too! - and all got along!! What state/city are you in? Love your attitude
Unfortunately the OP "Jay" has not made a post since June of last year (2007), so I don't think we will be seeing his results on here, though I could be wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
You had a great idea! You should follow it through.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,201 times
Default Pet friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaughtry View Post
I'm writing an article on pet-friendly retirement communities in the U.S. and wanted to see if anyone had insights or comments. Please note that these do not necessarily need to be age-restricted communities (55 plus communities, active adult communities) but could also be amenity communities. I'm looking to identify those communities that have policies and/or facilities that are particularly pet-friendly.
There is one in Newnan, Georgia that allows pets. [url=Mod cut]

Trish
[EMAILMod cut]

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: no emails and links doesn't work but no spam allowed

Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 AM

Smile Pet Friendly

[quote=HDL;2591424]I live in Boise, Idaho ! Where are you at Bette (city/state)? What Festival did your town just have? Tell us MORE about your town's state of the art dog park!!!

We live in Boca Raton, FL. Our dog park is wonderful. It has 3 areas for dogs - small, medium and large. They are little drinking fountains throughout and bags for the dogs....also benches for the masters!! Lots of green areas for the dogs to run and play and it is so funny to see them socialize!!

We had over 1000 attend our dog show - there were vendors there and it ran from 10 to 2. Very well attended. Our dog groomer was one the promoters. So many came.

We also have a local restaurant that holds Yappy Hour 3 times a year. They have dinner - the dogs just sit next to their owners! Very nice also!!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:23 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like there are a lot of SERVICE DOGS in your area, like GUIDE DOGS they are allowed in food service places.[snip]...
Not necessarily Katie. There are a lot of places where pets are allowed to enter with their owners - including restaurants and food service places. There are bakeries that create sweets for both people and their pets and yes, pets are welcome to come in.

I know it sounds like a violation of health code, but if that's what the business caters to, then that's what the business does.

I personally take my dog into Lowes and pet shops. In WV, the rule is any place that does not serve prepared or wrapped food, dogs can legally go in with their owners. But there was a program years ago that described the bakeries that catered to both people and their pets.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
I also think this is a great thread. However, it seems that most replies are related to dogs. I am interested in communities allowing cats, indoor cats, that is. I would like to be able to have more than one cat too. Many communities state one cat or dog. I have a multiple cat household and would not want to leave anyone behind.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I was reading about assisted living places that have resident pets of all sorts. I thought of this in the past- adopt older, calmer animals, have the staff ultimately responsible for them, and have them spend time and overnights with various residents, whether to keep company, take walks, etc.
So many animals end up in shelters because an elder can't keep them (or dies) and the remaining people don't or can't keep them. It's terribly sad. (I love to adopt the senior dogs!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement