U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 PM

13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times

Advertisements

Just an interesting aside. The mall where I work is totally pet friendly except for the food court. Health regulations make the food court impossible for pets. Pets are welcome and even encouraged everywhere else. I love seeing everyone out with their pets and interacting with others. Pets are great ice breakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
I have been looking for an Active Adult community in Arizona. Most do except dogs but only small ones. I have a German Shepherd, sweet and friendly as can be, but they won't allow her in.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
The Villages, close to Ocala, Florida, allows two pets per their deed restrictions, and they do have courtyard villas for sale. However, there is an unofficial "rule" (even mentioned b someone in their covenant dept.) that you can bring in more than two animals -- you just don't replace them when they die. I am sure the closer to two you are, that is better, so I wouldn't say you could go crazy and bring in a housefull.
However, the Villages is also fairly pricey, and the houses are smaller, so we are also interested in other retirement communities in central Florida that would allow us to bring in our four small inside dogs.
If anyone has any info on this type of community, please post its name and URL.

Also, I forgot to mention about the Villages, there are two pretty small dogs parks inside the community. There is also a large dog-park-like facility called Doggie Do Run that has monthly dues that is located just outside the Villages. The Villages has a blog called the Talk of the Villages, and they have a thread just concerning pets. You can find out all sorts of interesting things there and pose questions, even if you are not a resident.

Again, we are retired educators and have to watch our finances, so we are hoping there are some smaller communities that are pet friendly that might be more affordable for us--not that the Villages wouldn't be good, we would just like to get a larger house size for our money.
Thanks for any info!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 PM

147 posts, read 206,013 times
[quote=JayDaughtry;647761]The Falls at Eagle Crest, an active adult community in Central Oregon, allows pets, but they must be on a leash. Fences are prohibited in The Falls to preserve the natural beauty of the land. The community also boasts fifteen miles of walking trails, featuring stations with waste disposal bags. Further adding to its appeal, The Falls at Eagle Crest was named one of “America’s 100 Best Master-Planned Communities” in 2005 by Where to Retire Magazine.

Located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, Rarity Ridge prides itself on being pet-friendly. The community has 5 1/2 miles of shoreline on the Clinch River; and of its over 1500 acres, over 400 acres have been designated for open space and parks. While pets must be kept on a leash outside one’s yard, fences are permitted in back yards; and invisible fences may be utilized to provide greater freedom to pets.

Do cats count at all? Can I walk my cat on a leash? Is your research about pets or just dogs?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
I know that this is an old thread, but I do think pet owners who are looking into retirement communities such as 55+ would also be interested in the ones that permit fencing. I think Delaware has one community (not sure which one) downstate, but many pet owners who purchase single and attached homes do have a yard and would like the option of fencing off at least a part of that yard.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,832,596 times
I live near Charlotte, NC in a Del Webb Community. Our CC&Rs allow for 3 maximum pets of any combination in a home. Of course this doesn't count fish or maybe hamsters. There are certain animals that are not allowed at all, though, such as snakes, reptiles, ferrets and maybe a couple others that I can't remember.

Pets must be on a leash when outside and you must clean up after your pet, but there are no restrictions as to where you can walk them as long as you pick up after them. Size is not of a factor, we have everything from chihuahuas to great danes here. There is a fenced dog park where you can take your dog to play, and the park is divided into 2 sections, one for large dogs and one for small. Fences are allowed in back yards within restrictions of size and type that are specified in the rules, and must be approved by the modification committee as to type and location. Some people just have their back porch fenced in, but some like one of my neighbors has the entire back yard fenced. And finally, no outside doghouses, etc. are allowed. Pets must reside inside the homes and are not to be left outside unsupervised, especially if you go away from home.

That being said, there are always a few people who think they are above the rules and don't abide. I truthfully can't believe how totally immature some people can be.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM

419 posts, read 564,059 times
Rothbear

That being said, there are always a few people who think they are above the rules and don't abide. I truthfully can't believe how totally immature some people can be.

Totally agree. Don't understand for the life of me why someone would move to a community that has restriction and knowing them and still not following them. It just irks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or