Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times

Advertisements

We downsized ten years ago in our mid 40s and moved back into town from the suburbs. Went from 2200 to 1500 cottage (2 br-1 bath) which seems to be just about right. We have never been into acquiring stuff or keeping up with the neighbors, so that is not an issue. We will need to relocate though in the next few years as our property taxes continue to climb to a non-sustainable rate - this year they are $6200 for this little house with a big yard. It's a shame because everything is close by and our neighbors are great. I don't think it is the size of a dwelling but the way it is laid out. I concur that having only 2br keeps unwanted visitors from lingering too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Downsizing..not just the house...

My late husband and I retired 6 years ago and downsized from a 3300 sq. foot 2 story house to a 2300 sq. foot single story house. We loved it! The house, however, had a floor plan with lots of storage and open space so we hardly noticed. The upkeep was easier and cost to heat was less, and it was in Las Vegas and the cooling bill was only a little more!

Additionally, we downsized the "stuff"...and it was even more wonderful. We couldn't believe how almost "cleansing" it felt to get rid of things. The organization was clutter free and I find that it is still healing to get rid of things.

The other point is that if you downsize and one of you departs the earth, it leaves the other with a lot less to take care of. I know this wasn't part of the question, but it is something I've learned this past year. Less is good in many ways besides the obvious.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
We downsized 6 yrs ago best thing we ever did, of course you have to be ruthless and get rid of a lot of "stuff" rubbish collected over the years ...who will want it anyway? a smaller property gives you time to do more social activities ans maybe some volunteer work with the community. The best bit of all is that you have more money in your pocket to travel and thats what i have done.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,751 times
Quote:
Additionally, we downsized the "stuff"...and it was even more wonderful. We couldn't believe how almost "cleansing" it felt to get rid of things. The organization was clutter free and I find that it is still healing to get rid of things.
YES!YES!YES!!!!!
I really really downsized b4 I moved from Maryland to NC & it feels soooooooooooo wonderful! so free! I LOVELOVELOVE it!!! :=)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It really depends on what each indivdual wants to do and what they can afford. I have a mansion ;if I could afford it and the upkeep.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
and I'd have a ranch (w/ caretaker) with a 'high ranch' for winter. I had 4-H friends with that when I was a kid, it was really great to go up to the cabins and barns in the meadows and streams in the high country during the summers, lots of wildlife and plenty of stars at night. Seldom did you see anyone else ALL SUMMER, a few 'herders' and the like, and of course the week staying in the hayloft of the horse barn at the County Fair.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 AM

10 posts, read 30,985 times
Question Downsizing

Has anyone ever regretted downsizing? While doing this, I feel as though I have a terminal illness. Will I get over this feeling?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Yes, I trust.
It's not about the size. It could be about the change, putting the past behind into history (both good and not-so-good) and facing the fact that the time ahead is getting shorter. Going through all that "stuff" could also just bring back a lot of all kinds of memories, remembering who you were when you wore this, who was living in your household when this was being used, how time has passed, what has been gained, things that have been lost. It's very poignant. I doubt it's about "downsizing."
If and when I downsize, it will be from my freestanding dream house to an assisted living type condo (my house is 1250 sq.ft.- hard to downsize to a smaller house). I'll be "downsizing" to a different way of life that admits aging (and plans for possible deterioration). I'm sure I'll feel that in an emotional way.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
We are in the middle of downsizing as I write this. We are leaving a 3000 sq ft home to close on our new, 1740 sq ft home on 24 Aug. We are moving from a 5/3 to a 2/2. Very open floor plan makes the new house very livable, and we are feeling excited about being able to spend our time enjoying amenities (moving into a Del Webb community) vs upkeep of them (currently have pool, hottub and large yard to keep).

Nice part is it is only 3 miles up the road from where we live now, and we will be able to stay in contact with friends as well as continue work for a few more years as we ease into retirement. We like the idea of taking the transition in steps vs all at the same time.

I am amazed how easy it has been to say "out it goes" and give things up that I thought were once so important. As long as I have the DH and fur baby in tow, life is good.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
Hubby & I keep saying we are going to sell the big house and buy a 2 bed, 2 bath...less to manage primarily. Who's done this and any regrets?
We've done this twice to accomodate a job. First time we went from 2300sf to a motor coach. We did keep the solid wood furniture in storage, but pretty much sold off everything else. Gave away a lot of stuff to family and friends and Goodwill, sold a lot of stuff, and sent 5 truckloads to the dump. Talk about liberating . . . it was AWESOME.

We actually had different needs in the motor coach and needed to buy some new things to accomodate the lifestyle - outdoor TV, goofy patio lights, foldable patio furniture.

I was a working professional and had 6 pairs of shoes: dress black, dress brown, dress navy, sneakers, and two pairs of sandals. My husband only had enough tools to do simple home and car repairs. If we bought a new shirt, we had to get rid of an old one.

We bought a small house because it was a good financial decision at the time. Then I changed jobs and we did it again, and moved to a bigger motor coach.

We bought a foreclosed home for a great price at a great rate. We plan to be here for at least 10 years. We should have a good amount of equity when finally sell it. And yes, we will take that money and buy another motor coach, because each time we moved back into the house . . . I cried. So I guess my only regret is that I keep going back to a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement