U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM

304 posts, read 802,446 times

Advertisements

Hubby & I keep saying we are going to sell the big house and buy a 2 bed, 2 bath...less to manage primarily. Who's done this and any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM

128 posts, read 567,557 times
My husband and I did it. We sold a large house in a high priced area of New England and moved to the MidSouth with a 5 year plan. We needed to see if we liked the area before too major a commitment.

We bought a 3 bedroom, two bath, 1400 square foot house to give us a base. We find we love the area and plan to stay. We're now looking for a more permanent location to build the house of our retirement dreams.

We're on a quarter acre now and we'd like a larger lot, perhaps an acre. The house is not a bad fit and it's been a good experience for us as it's taught us just how much space we'd like. We're thinking 2,000 +/- will give us enough room for 2 master bedroom suites. We have grown children we wish to entice for visits.

Big plus. The old homestead was a bear to maintain both in the structure and the large acreage. The new house...so little time to keep up!

No major regrets. I'd do it again. It surprised us that so many people we know told us they wished they had the courage to jump into the unknown.

Last edited by sbbet; 07-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: add paragraph.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,091,132 times
Downsizing is awesome and its helpful for your children or those who inherit your estate when you pass away. Its also better for the environment as you are taking the time to go through your things and sorting out what's recyclable, trash, can be given to someone else or donated, rather than a maid going through your house when you die and putting everything in the dumpster.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 AM

5,396 posts, read 21,407,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
Hubby & I keep saying we are going to sell the big house and buy a 2 bed, 2 bath...less to manage primarily. Who's done this and any regrets?
We found that the lack of space to have visitors and to do entertaining was a real downside so after going from a large home to a smaller one we decided after ten years to go back to a large place. The amount of work to manage the property is not much more but the flexibility and comfort is great.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,746,934 times
My wife and I have discussed this. She definitely does not want an apartment or small condo. We had our share of crowded living when we were young. We do plan on downsizing and getting rid of a lot of junk, but we still want living space. Fortunately, I think we can do that at reasonable cost. I am not interested in taking care of a house so we will need to be careful about what we get and the age of the structure. Eventually as we get older, I suspect we will be willing to do a bigger downsizing.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM

10,135 posts, read 12,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
We did it four years ago moving from a McMansion to a 1,200 sq. ft. home having two bedrooms and one bathroom.

Everything costs less by more than half. Utilties used to be $500 a month and now it's $225 in the summer and $150 in winter. Average savings right there is $300 per month.

Property taxes are down by at least two thirds. We were paying a little more than $3,000 a year and now we're at $900. On a monthly bases this is about $175 a month in savings.

Between just utilites and taxes we save at least $450 every month.

With everything we probably save $600 every month which is a lot of money for anyone on a fixed income.

Vacations To Go has a four night Royal Carribean cruise out of Port Canaveral Jacksonville (about 4 hours away by car) for $219.00 per person.

My wife and I couldn't spend four nights at the Red Roof Inn in Ocala for $219.00 each once the room is paid for and meals are eaten.

With just the savings on property taxes and utilities we can afford to go on a cruise every other month if we so choose. This might not be for everyone but it is what I want. Choose not to go on a cruise for six months and you'll have enough in savings to take a 10 day cruise through the Panama Canal if you so choose. It is what is important to me and it is what I want.

We don't miss the room except I do wish we had an extra bathroom. To compensate we are remodeling the existing and will make it a monument to bathrooms complete with a Jacuzzi for two.

Glad we downsized.

PS

You can get even better cruise deals if you can go at last minute. I've seen four day cruises go for as little as $99 per person but you get the email at 9:00 AM and have to be there by 3:00 and it is a four hour drive. So you have to be flexible and always have your bags packed by the back door.

That's $50 per night for two people for a cruise, great food and entertainment. Come on, we easily spend $50 eating at Red Lobster followed by a movie afterwards. Do you want to live or do you want to live?

Last edited by nicet4; 07-08-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,713,973 times
One issue about downsizing in older age is that older age can start to limit both your ability to keep a larger homestead as well as your desire to keep said larger homestead.

If you become disabled in some fashion then that larger homestead can become a white elephant that you can't feed or care for anymore. Just the extra cost alone for a larger home could well be used to live on when your only income is becomes fixed.

So what do you do? IMO living small has many, many benefits that can't be seen or appreciated until you actually live small and easy. This really is a case where smaller is enough as well as it's plenty.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
One issue about downsizing in older age is that older age can start to limit both your ability to keep a larger homestead as well as your desire to keep said larger homestead.

If you become disabled in some fashion then that larger homestead can become a white elephant that you can't feed or care for anymore. Just the extra cost alone for a larger home could well be used to live on when your only income is becomes fixed.

So what do you do? IMO living small has many, many benefits that can't be seen or appreciated until you actually live small and easy. This really is a case where smaller is enough as well as it's plenty.
Our house is a single floor plan, very large bedroom with the washer and dryer situated such that when I undress I can throw my dirty clothes into the laundry room actually hitting on top the washing machine. My wife loves this feature and is always impressed with my throwing skills.

Why was it in the McMansion you had to cart dirty clothes from one end of the house to the other?

Hardwood floors throughout so cleaning consists of a swiffer or shop vac if we are in the mood.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
I definitely want less land as i get olde;a normal lot with not has much upkeep. The house about 2000 sq ft or a liitle over. but I still want two extra bedrooms for family to come stay.Still wpould like 21/2 baths also.A walk in pantry;a small clost for those big cooking items ;because its a pian to get to tehm as you get older.No wood deack at all but a concrete patio for easier upkeep. Large door to bathroom and easy access becuse you never now about wheel chairs.Bascailly too small a house often has cramped bathrooms and other rooms that make it inconevenent for older people is what I have seen.Easier to live crampoed when yopur young IMO.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascailly too small a house often has cramped bathrooms and other rooms that make it inconevenent for older people is what I have seen.
The selling point of the house we downsized to was the size of the master bedroom which is among the largest I've ever seen. We have a queen sized beed, sofa, love seat, three dressers, a full fire place with at least 8 feet between the edge of the bed to the fire place. We got all kinds of stuff in our bedroom and there is still enough room to easily get around in a wheelchair if ever needed.

The bedroom is larger than our living room but that is ok because we've taken to living in our bedroom. I think the bedroom is nearly 400 sq. ft. (a third the size of the entire house) not counting closet space which are two walk ins. Bedroom also has four full sized windows so we get lots of natural light. I think at one time our master bedroom was two bedrooms but you can not tell it at all now.

You only need four rooms.... kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and bedroom as long as they are big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement