U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM

109 posts, read 171,437 times
Default Retire too early?

Has anyone had second thoughts of retiring too early?

I retired at 55. Some of my co-workers thought that was a bad decision saying that was too early to retire, but I could afford to getting a full pension after 34 years of service. That was two years ago and I find I don't miss work at all. I enjoy my free time golfing and travelling. I have a casual position driving cars for a dealership and do that when I am not busy for something to do and it gives me some extra cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,155,912 times
Question Got A Crystal Ball???

I retired at 40 - not a mis-print - and basically remained retired for the next 13 years...it was a great time at what most would consider the prime of my life...but unfortunately...a divorce...coupled with not being able to leave NY...I decided to go back to work......

So...If I had that crystal ball and knew what was coming in the future...I might have made a different decision...but basically...about the only thing different I might of done was to get the hell out of NY...

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM

4,032 posts, read 3,107,726 times
Default nope - retired right on time

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
Has anyone had second thoughts of retiring too early?
Not yet!

Quote:
I retired at 55. Some of my co-workers thought that was a bad decision saying that was too early to retire, but I could afford to getting a full pension after 34 years of service.
Same here - retired at 55 with 34 years (actually, over 35 with a little military time and some unused sick leave, but 34 years on-the-job).

Quote:
That was two years ago and I find I don't miss work at all.
I retired in March '08 (as did my wife, at 55 with 30 years), and I have been shocked at not missing work at all. I would have described myself as a borderline workaholic, but I really, sincerely do not miss it. We've done a little bit of traveling, with more planned. Kayaking when the weather permits - walking the dog - lots of reading - lots of fix'r-up jobs around the house .... and a whole lot of kicking back and relaxing. When I send this post off, I'll head out to the back yard for some weeding - I enjoy grubbing in the dirt.

I may end up getting a part-time job at some point, but I'm in no big hurry to do so.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Status: "So long and thanks for all the fish!" (set 19 days ago)

5,164 posts, read 4,190,673 times
I retired last week at 57 after 34 years. Some of my coworkers thought I was nuts too. I got a lot of "Now what are you going to do?" and a few "but work is my life" comments. Work is my life? Are you kidding me? Anyway, I figured if I worked until 62 I would only take home a few extra hundred dollars a month. Not worth another 4 years for that. As it happened I fit into an early retirement plan, so I'm able to get monthly benefits plus a six figure payout in October. To me the time now is MY OWN, I'm not tied down to a schedule, an alarm clock and my cell phone isn't ringing 24 hours a day. I've slept better than I have in years and am very relaxed. I'm looking forward to doing what I want when I want, and the taxpayers are paying me not to go to work. I'm moving, downsizing, and if I want to do something part time I will. A young friend told me last night, "you earned this, enjoy it!"

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM

3,949 posts, read 8,245,017 times
I retired at 26.

Luckily, my wife chose not to retire until she was 60.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I retired at 50 and my wife decided hse wanted to work. until 62 and then later changed it to thirty years. The she got a estimate of her retirement a year ago march and decided that it wasn;t powrth it and rertied. She and I have no regrets at all.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 AM

2,365 posts, read 622,463 times
Default "Early" Retirement

I retired May 28, 2009, at the age of 55 after working 36 years. My husband retired then, too. We are both loving retirement, and we couldn't be happier. We are planning our travels and just enjoying a more stress-free lifestyle. We have no regrets about retiring at this "young" age.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,023,148 times
I retired at 57 for at least 2 years. I will have to go back to some kind of work for a few years, but not the gut wrenching high stress job I had. Fortunately, I own a home in a recreational neighborhood. I am currently working on turning it into a triplex. The two rentals will pay the mortgage and I just have to make enough to live on. I don't need much. I am just happy that I won't drop dead of a heart attack in the workplace like several of my friends did.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 AM

21,517 posts, read 27,120,938 times
I was booted out from my career when I was 42, due to 'High-year-Tenure'. I got my pension at that time, and I have been retired for 8 years now.

So long as you have a pension, and an income stream from your portfolio then I see no problem with retiring at any age you can.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM

160 posts, read 415,560 times
I once read a quote (don't recall who it's attributed to) that said something along the lines of: I've heard many people speak of various regrets on their deathbeds, like not spending enough time with their families, not traveling enough, or of missed opportunites, but I've never heard anyone wish they had spent more time in their job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement