U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM

322 posts, read 1,134,927 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there are any retired US Army Rangers on this site. (Or ANY retired military). My husband retired from the service in 2002 after 25 years and it's now really starting to hit him. He really misses the lifestyle. He's a Fed. Officer now, so that keeps him busy but doesn't fill that gap. Every time we go on base to do our shopping he comes to near tears because of how much he misses it. Any suggestions or others out there who feel the same? Anything we can do to alleviate the gap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,109 times
I wasn't a career Army guy, just a one hitch NCO back in the mid 1970s. I know several guys who stayed on and did the 20+ year career route in the Army. They all belong to some kind of veterans group, either VFW, Am Legion, or a unit specific veterans group. There must be a bunch of ex-Ranger groups out there, just run a google search.

Look into volunteer groups in your area who are trying to help soldiers that have returned home from Iraq with war injuries, or groups trying to help out widows and families of soldiers who didn't make it home. I've helped in some activities with a group that helps hundreds of injured soldiers and widows / families of soldiers killed in Iraq from Camp Pendelton here in southern cal. It's a humbling experience, will make most personal problems that we fortunate people have seem trivial in comparison.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,908,364 times
My beloved was a retired Special Forces trainer, Marines. "Death From Above" -jumper. Tougher than nails, quicker and more vastly educated than anyone I've ever met. A swashbuckling romantic who would cry listening to Churchill. Gone now, sadly. He, his son, and my father, all intelligence officers.

You're lucky, they're special people.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
I'm wondering if there are any retired US Army Rangers on this site. (Or ANY retired military). My husband retired from the service in 2002 after 25 years and it's now really starting to hit him. He really misses the lifestyle. He's a Fed. Officer now, so that keeps him busy but doesn't fill that gap. Every time we go on base to do our shopping he comes to near tears because of how much he misses it. Any suggestions or others out there who feel the same? Anything we can do to alleviate the gap?
Hello Cold, eh! I retired from 22 years in the USAF in '97. Had a wonderful career and, yeah, sometimes I miss it. But I always wanted to ge into trucking after the military and I'm now a kid in a candy store! We're about 20 minutes from an AF base but I don't think we've been there a half-dozen times in the seven years we've lived near it.

There are TONS of volunteer opportunities on every base/post and it doesn't matter what prior service affiliation you are! The Retiree Services Offices are always looking for an extra hand. family Support Centers (not sure what they're called nowadays), hospitals, visitor's centers. Currently, I work 60+ hours/week but look forward to the time when I can "throttle back" and give some of my self back to a career that was VERY good to my wife and I!

Actually, my wife misses the military more than I do! She taught on base when we were overseas and felt like a "big fish in a little pond"! She also enjoyed calling the officers by their first names that I had to address with their rank

Cold, eh, we are all part of a wonderful family (that sometimes those that have never served can't understand...) but cherish the memories, keep in touch with old friends and find new ones on your nearby base! Best of luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,466,395 times
We're getting ready to retire in August. I'm looking forward to it as much as I am dreading it. Trying to get all the ducks in a row at the moment.
I can honestly say that we are trying to be very positive about it all. I've lived overseas and on my own (due to deployments) for most of it. Going to be one helluva culture shock in a lot of aspects! Get ready for an upcoming thread titled "Going nutz in retirement"
I'll let you know how we do and hopefully we can share tips, strategies and anthing else that plows you through the day!

Stay positive. It might take a little longer but I'm sure your hubby will find his nitch.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
We're getting ready to retire in August. I'm looking forward to it as much as I am dreading it. Trying to get all the ducks in a row at the moment.
I can honestly say that we are trying to be very positive about it all. I've lived overseas and on my own (due to deployments) for most of it. Going to be one helluva culture shock in a lot of aspects! Get ready for an upcoming thread titled "Going nutz in retirement"
I'll let you know how we do and hopefully we can share tips, strategies and anthing else that plows you through the day!

Stay positive. It might take a little longer but I'm sure your hubby will find his nitch.
Well, congrats!! I appreciate the advice so far from everyone! Problem is we live 100 miles from the base, but we still use the benefits of cheap groceries. I'd much rather pay the $1.89 for a gallon of milk versus the $5.29 at the local stores! We have met some really nice people on base, who are still active Air Force, and every time we go visit or hang out with them it really hits him. Every few weeks when hubby isn't working we'll stay on base in lodging for a couple days. That seems to help, but at the same time reminds him of his life in the Army. There isn't much up here for volunteering, and with hubby's shift work it's hard to find the time. So far, I think the end result of being able to spend a few days on base every month and keeping connected with friends and with shopping on base has helped. Even though it's a reminder of how much he misses it, the end result is good at the end of the day.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Cold eh, If you haven't already, check out the military units of locator websites like www.classmates.com I've been reunited with several long-lost buddies that way. Sigh...I can definitely vouch for the second career work shifts getting in the way of volunteering... (And my trucking company doesn't have Family Day or stand down when we meet our income goals... )

Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,908,364 times
$5.29 for a gallon of milk ???

Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Cold eh, If you haven't already, check out the military units of locator websites like www.classmates.com I've been reunited with several long-lost buddies that way. Sigh...I can definitely vouch for the second career work shifts getting in the way of volunteering... (And my trucking company doesn't have Family Day or stand down when we meet our income goals... )
My husband actually did some trucking when he first retired for a few months before his friend at the FBI got him his current job with Homeland Security. He LOVED it! He kinda misses that too...LOL!!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
$5.29 for a gallon of milk ???
LOL!!! Ridiculous huh?? I went into the local store (small town WAY up North) for a gallon of milk two weeks ago and it was $5.29! That's why we buy about 7 at a time on base and freeze them...just thaw em as we need em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or