U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,919,242 times

Advertisements

I am not a hippie type, learned that for sure whilst in Taos, but I thought of all the places JayDaughtry listed Asheville came the closest, but not close enough to some of what I'd like in a community--although I'm almost positive I can't live in the South.

I was in Phoenix last year at this time; it did nothing for me, especially when it started to get hot!

I'd love to brainstorm more than get "straight up" suggestions because we really don't know each other well enough or even a tad to make good recommendations.

Although I must say I am getting better at reading the words and the unspoken messages that occasionally get posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

80 posts, read 435,991 times
ontheroad-

Two of my favorite places near Asheville are Black Mountain and Hendersonville. I don't know if you've considered these towns, but they are very close to the resources and activities of Asheville but have their own feel and a slower pace. Both have quaint downtown areas. They are also getting to be quite popular with individuals and families from other parts of the country.

Let me know if you need additional insights.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the offers of help, but I had the opportunity to live in Asheville and didn't take it up, and fact is, I have friends in Hendersonville and several other smaller towns around Asheville. I also didn't see much difference weather-wise between this part of NC and the Northeast.

I am into quaint downtowns, but not into slower pace. I nearly died in Taos. If I'd consider the South, and as I said this is highly unlikely, I'd prefer closer to the Ocean and much bigger than Asheville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaughtry View Post
ontheroad-

Two of my favorite places near Asheville are Black Mountain and Hendersonville. I don't know if you've considered these towns, but they are very close to the resources and activities of Asheville but have their own feel and a slower pace. Both have quaint downtown areas. They are also getting to be quite popular with individuals and families from other parts of the country.

Let me know if you need additional insights.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM

182 posts, read 752,134 times
Funny that Las Vegas is mentioned as I have seen it listed on several other "lists" as in the best place for single women ! Never been so I am wondering what it has that is supposed to be so good for single women of any age? oh yea, I did that find your spot site and Las Vegas came up on it as the top ten places based on my answers to their survey!!

Ontheroad: you've mentioned that you don' think you could live in the south. I am hoping it is the weather..... There are a few of us who are educated
Seriously, i never knew what the south was all about until I moved from New Orleans to North Carolina... i quickly realized that nola was NOT the south. Having lived in both the north and south I can say that IF you were to choose a southern place you'd be better off in a larger urban area.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM

stormweary, yup, I know lots of smart Southerners, but for me it is a regional divide that I just don't think I'll get over. Before I went to Taos, as a penultimate place to live, I did a drive down to NC. I was headed to Asheville but only made it to Raleigh as Katrina hit and petrol was scarce and Asheville's gas stations were closed. I was still working and had limited time so decided against chancing getting stuck hundreds of miles from home.

I liked Raleigh, and I liked several of the other cities I drove into, eat in and where I stayed a bit. It was the highway signs that made me uncomfortable. I am just too much of a progressive liberal to handle so many anti-this and that words in big letters on the road, and an invitation to attend zillions of churches.

And I suppose NO is to LA and the south in general as NYC is to NYS--oil and water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Funny that Las Vegas is mentioned as I have seen it listed on several other "lists" as in the best place for single women ! Never been so I am wondering what it has that is supposed to be so good for single women of any age? oh yea, I did that find your spot site and Las Vegas came up on it as the top ten places based on my answers to their survey!!

Ontheroad: you've mentioned that you don' think you could live in the south. I am hoping it is the weather..... There are a few of us who are educated
Seriously, i never knew what the south was all about until I moved from New Orleans to North Carolina... i quickly realized that nola was NOT the south. Having lived in both the north and south I can say that IF you were to choose a southern place you'd be better off in a larger urban area.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,591,693 times
A lot depends on whether you are gay or straight.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM

942 posts, read 1,068,064 times
Signs in the south have made people feel out of place for decades, they are still there, so I guess they feel if we don't like them, we won't come, I don't know, I never understood the sheer amount of them, and the constant references to religion. I have seen those huge billboards signs next to truck stops, waffle houses, that are next to adult book stores with a baptist church across from the sign. I don't undertand the south to begin with. Ontheroad, I doubt you would be comfortable in the south, if you ever do, u had better stick to cities in south florida, and you see it there to, but much less. Not everyone could retire in those areas mentioned, couples included, but I think alot of singles especially those from outside the south would have serious adjustment problems. I think some of us are going to have to retire where we come from, we have had these relocation trips and research this place an that, but not all of us have the adjustment capabilities to adjust to alot of places in this country. I hear alot are retiring to costa rica and Panama, since they can't find anyplace in the USA to fit into .

Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 AM

182 posts, read 752,134 times
oregonrain you bring up an interesting thought, retiring outside of the US. I hear of people doing it but wonder about the "mechanics" of it all. Anyone out there had experience or looked into doing this? Right now, I'd think europe would not be a good place given the exhange rate with euros and pounds... still... retired in Paris?... ahhh...

off topic : I hear ya about the rural south and the religion thing. when I lived in Huntsville, Al.( late 80's-early 90's) there was a religious group that lived on Sand mountain that used snakes in their services.......
yes, ontheroad oil and water is a good analogy!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 PM

I thought about retiring abroad, not the typical Latin American countries, but Peru. I won't, but I found it intriguing. I won't because although COL is less, transportation is so high, it might not off-set the difference.

I've also thought about retiring to either Spain or Italy. These two still remain a haunting dream--one I may explore come Fall.

And, thanks Oregonrain and stormweary for your confirmation that "oil and water" don't mix.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM

7,311 posts, read 15,366,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I thought about retiring abroad, not the typical Latin American countries, but Peru. I won't, but I found it intriguing. I won't because although COL is less, transportation is so high, it might not off-set the difference.

I've also thought about retiring to either Spain or Italy. These two still remain a haunting dream--one I may explore come Fall.

And, thanks Oregonrain and stormweary for your confirmation that "oil and water" don't mix.
I've been to Italy several times and loved, loved, loved it. But, as in most of Europe, the rents in the cities are astonishing, and the hoops foreigners have to go through to buy are painful.

Other European cities I'd consider living in (at least for awhile) are: Barcelona, Edinburgh, Dublin. Probably England as well, but I've never managed to make it out of London my trips there, and I don't want to live in London.

We also considered Costa Rica and San Miguel de Allende, in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or