U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times

Advertisements

I've actually lived in three European cities: Amsterdam, Paris and London.

Of these three London was my least favourite; Amsterdam my favourite. It was many years ago--COL different, and I had no trouble with the hoops, but it was also pre-EU.

Italy appeals to me on some visceral level--explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 01:54 PM

7,288 posts, read 15,339,626 times
The Italians in general seem to have an attitude that looks at the good and (especially the bad) in the world and says "ehhh, such it has been before, and it will turn." They can look at the umpteen governments they've had since WW2, who seem to constantly get the boot in "votes of no confidence" and separate politics from the art of living. At least in the smaller cities. In general, Italians have good access to health care, mandated vacations, a culture that revolves around family and friends.

On the other hand, most of my travels have been in the relatively prosperous and high-employment-rate north (Tuscany and above - I've only been to Rome and south of Rome once).

Old 04-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Until recently, I too was only in the North of Italy, but a few years ago I spent a month in Sicily. A most beautiful and fascinating Island, and very different than the mainland.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,176,348 times
I am enjoying this thread as this is a current topic at home - where do we want to go when we retire. Our neighbors are some years older than us and have gone to San Miguel de Allende every year. The COL in Mexico is quit attractive. The one thing our friends do say is, after a month or so, they look forward to coming home to Florida.

My husband and I have been talking about living in Europe for a while. Germany is on our list as that is where I was born and returned to for many years. I have yearned to go back, but not to live. We want to spend more time in France and Italy. Ireland was wonderful as well.

As we look at retirement, the issue of living it as a "single" as come up and I really don't want to move to an area where either one of us will feel alone or lost should this occur. While we live in south Florida, this is not where I plan to live my retirement years, but who knows.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 PM

7,288 posts, read 15,339,626 times
What we finally decided (well, I did, anyway), is that I don't really want to be an expat. This is my country, my home, even if I disagree with a lot of the politics and the "money/business interests over anything else" attitude. I wouldn't mind living other places for a couple of years though.

Others had suggested we look at living in more than one place - 2 homes, one in the US and one elsewhere, or even 2 homes in the US - but if I'm going to live somewhere, I want to be part of it, not just a temporary visitor. The idea of packing up and moving every 6 months, or keeping 2 houses open full-time, doesn't really appeal. Plus I have a much-loved dog, who is rather young. My husband was very fond of an off-grid house on the big island of Hawaii we rented frequently, and when it came up for sale we talked about buying it - but Hawaii has a 6 month quarantine for dogs and cats. (Plus, I'm pretty sure I'd get serious island fever on such a small island, and that my brain would rot from too much warm tropical weather - and rum.)

Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM

I can understand the complexity of living in two homes. I have a friend that lives Upstate NY and Puerto Rico--often I don't know where to find her, and she doesn't always know where some special sweater is.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM

182 posts, read 751,805 times
while I think living in Europe would be wonderful in some ways, the reality is that I don't think I'd want to do it by myself. again, that single thing. And the expense of moving over there.And as you say PNW, this is where I was born. I had always thought I'd end up back in New Orleans BUT I have talked to several friends and family who are there post K and they all say the same thing, the livin' is hard now . So I look to places in the states that can offer up more history and European influence and New England and the D.C.area seem to fit the bill.

Someone has suggested living in two places but I'm with you PNW and ontheroad. I am looking for somewhere to be rooted once more.

I DO want to get to southern Italy and Sicily to see the Greek ruins and, of course, Greece as well!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
I briefly considered Ireland, I am eligible for a Irish passport, because of my parents and grandparents having been citizens of there. For me though no matter where I retire, but especially a overseas location, I have to consider the fact I am a diabetic, and have health insurance that is null and void if I live outside of this country. If I became a citizen of Ireland, I have no idea, how long it takes to meet the requirements for the national health system, there, I have had so many confusing replies, when I inquired, I decided to forget it,and just retire in the states. I use to live in Germany for 3 years, I actually really like europe, but it is not easy for americans to just pack up and move to other countries, the entry requirements are confusing and don't always make sense, One guy I work with who wants to go to Panama, told me one only needs to show proof of $500 a month in income to retire in that country. That sounded strange to me. but who knows. I think we are getting off the topic here of single vs couples retiring SORRY.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaughtry View Post
Because of this thread I was doing some additional reading on retirement options for singles. In Jan Cullinane's book, The New Retirement (which I highly recommend), she lists the following "suggestions for places particularly amenable to singles":

Asheville, North Carolina
Las Vegas, Nevada
Naples, Florida
Sarasota, Florida
Surprise, Arizona

Please let me know if you have any questions.
hi, sarasota and naples in florida are nice, however, they are very $$$$
also florida is in a hoa crisis and now they are working on high property taxes.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM

31 posts, read 82,668 times
My husband and I spent the last 2 years looking at retirement locations as a couple, but since we have some very different interests, we had to find that happy medium. After 30 years overseas or in the DC area (foreign service), we have settled on Austin, TX for several reasons:
climate (ya, it's hot, but Sept-April are great!);
cultural mix (we've grown accustomed to those differences and would miss them);
current events awareness (yes, all politics are local, but we don't want to tune out to national events - just the opposite as we now have time to participate);
nearness to educational options (lots of variety here);
outdoor sports and fitness opportunities;
near a major airport; and lastly,
I wanted to go 'home' (an El Pasoan but Austin sounds great too and he's from Philadelphia). Actually, I just wanted to go west of the Mississippi!

We looked at the Denver, Charlottesville and Asheville areas, but Austin had more in its favor (except we LOVE the mts but not the snow shovel). So...we're looking at this retirement move as another foreign service 'posting' - five years at least and then, we'll see. I guess we can't really see ourselves standing pat for too long - we love to travel and are sure to continue. And... this is a way of looking at this move not as a do or die event.

Another interesting sidelight to Austin is that many others seem to be moving there (young and old, single, married). I hope this bodes well as far as making new friends as we will all be in the same boat! I've been reading the Austin forum for quite some time now -- not much re retirement as most people seem to respond with a reference to Georgetown, TX (a Del Webb community) which interests us not in the least. We like age diversity too! A lot of the discussion on that forum centers on real estate issues, which of course interests me as I'm off to buy a house there this summer, but many posters seem to be young professionals who have different needs. There are some very good posters though so if you're checking into Austin, spend some time checking that out. They have even got a photo thread going.

I'm glad, mod, that someone started a retirement forum as I have not really felt inclined to participate in the Austin forum that much. Cheers ya'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or