U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,938,466 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask something for everyone to please respond to.

My husband and I have been struggling for years now to try to find a place that will suit both of us. We currently live in the Pacific NW, and neither of us can retire because it's so darned expensive up here (we have both suffered the financial pangs of previous marriages, which explains why we are both still working). I am a Southerner; he is from WA. I cannot--absolutely cannot--tolerate the climate up here--just waaaaayyy too much rain/overcast skies. The distance from my family is also causing huge problems, as Southerners do a lot more with other people on a regular basis without having to call each other--sounds strange, but that's a fact that I was completely unaware of until I moved to the Pacific NW; folks up here are lovely, but they NEVER call you or come to see you. Husband is completely fine with this, but this drives me completely nuts.

DH absolutely does NOT want to live in the South. I do NOT want to live up here. We are just simply stuck. It is the ONLY thing we disagree on. Other than this, we are completely happy together. We are both willing to consider another place to live besides the Pacific NW and the South.

Is there ANYBODY who knows of a place that IS NOT OVERCAST/RAINY 9 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, is AFFORDABLE, is a place WHERE PEOPLE COME TO SEE YOU, is NOT THE PACIFIC NW, and is NOT THE SOUTH? I am completely serious. If any of you know of such a place, please tell us. My 50th birthday is coming up in July, and we can spend it traveling to a potential retirement spot to check it out.

If there is any place on the internet to find these answers, I know this is the spot. Please help us figure this one out, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,144,006 times
I am a single person, divorced for the past 9 years and firmly determined to never marry or live with anyone else ever again. I like being single and living alone.

However, I have been dating someone for the past 6 years or so, and he plans to retire when I do, in three years. We plan to retire in the same location, and to continue living in separate houses.

We have made a few compromises. He wanted to live someplace remote way out in the sticks like a hermit. But I wanted to find someplace reasonably civilized. Our #1 potential retirement location right now is a mid-sized town - - Springfield, Missouri. That seems like a relatively pain-free compromise to me.

Brightcopperkettles, here's an idea. How about eastern Florida? That part of Florida is not very southern in flavor at all, since so many from the east coast have settled there. If you stay away from places like Miami Beach, it's (barely) affordable in some areas. Lots of people would come to visit you. I would suggest Missouri or Arkansas or Nashville, but I don't know if people would visit you in those places (personally, I'd rather not deal with out of town guests! Each to her own. )

Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 PM

942 posts, read 1,068,064 times
I think Florida is just about unaffordable anymore, except for the more affluent retiree. I could not believe just how expensive it really is, until I went and took a good look at areas, and made inquiries. Its not worth the price or the stress of the crowds and huricannes and tornadoes.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I think Florida is just about unaffordable anymore, except for the more affluent retiree. I could not believe just how expensive it really is, until I went and took a good look at areas, and made inquiries. Its not worth the price or the stress of the crowds and huricannes and tornadoes.
Well, that's why I wouldn't live there, coming from New Orleans... the hurricanes. Of course, every place has some chance of some natural disaster or other, but as you can imagine I would rather not live in Florida. I ruled that out on September 30, 2005.

Another thing I didn't like about SE Florida was the east coast mentality and the way they drive there. But a lot of people do like that.

A disadvantage of living in Florida that you didn't mention, would their taxes... both homeowners', and taxes on investment earnings. But then they have no income tax. Guess you have to pay the piper one way or another.

On the other hand, I'm sure you would agree that there is no one perfect retirement location for everyone. While it's pretty obvious that I already ruled out Florida (from my post, above), and you too, it's easier to criticize than to try to help people work through difficult decisions. So, what do YOU think would be the absolutely most wonderful place for brightcopperkettles? Please tell us. We want to know.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,919,242 times
I am sure this is an unsettling decision to try to make--two people, different ideas.

If we rule out the South, and the PNW, I wonder if you'd consider New England. I am sitting in a warm, cozy Inn in Kent, CT--35 miles from the MA Berkshires, just over 2 hrs from NYC, in a low mountain range, 2 hrs from PA, and on a lake.

It is so beautiful, and I believe this morning I discovered an eagle's nest, but my binoculars are so well packed, I can only surmise these huge wings are not a hawk.

It can get cold here, come winter, but the summers are delicious. I lived 20 miles south of here for 20 years, summers, and always loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
I would like to ask something for everyone to please respond to.

My husband and I have been struggling for years now to try to find a place that will suit both of us. We currently live in the Pacific NW, and neither of us can retire because it's so darned expensive up here (we have both suffered the financial pangs of previous marriages, which explains why we are both still working). I am a Southerner; he is from WA. I cannot--absolutely cannot--tolerate the climate up here--just waaaaayyy too much rain/overcast skies. The distance from my family is also causing huge problems, as Southerners do a lot more with other people on a regular basis without having to call each other--sounds strange, but that's a fact that I was completely unaware of until I moved to the Pacific NW; folks up here are lovely, but they NEVER call you or come to see you. Husband is completely fine with this, but this drives me completely nuts.

DH absolutely does NOT want to live in the South. I do NOT want to live up here. We are just simply stuck. It is the ONLY thing we disagree on. Other than this, we are completely happy together. We are both willing to consider another place to live besides the Pacific NW and the South.

Is there ANYBODY who knows of a place that IS NOT OVERCAST/RAINY 9 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, is AFFORDABLE, is a place WHERE PEOPLE COME TO SEE YOU, is NOT THE PACIFIC NW, and is NOT THE SOUTH? I am completely serious. If any of you know of such a place, please tell us. My 50th birthday is coming up in July, and we can spend it traveling to a potential retirement spot to check it out.

If there is any place on the internet to find these answers, I know this is the spot. Please help us figure this one out, folks.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 AM

182 posts, read 752,134 times
bckettle: many people here are moving half way back up the coast to North Carolina. you may want to check that out. There is a thread in the Connecticut forum about moving to N.C. vs. New England.
I agree with most of what has been said about Florida and retirement. It all depends on what you like and are looking for. And there is no perfect place. I am making a list of must haves and what I can do without or deal with....Weather is especially a pain! hot humid summers, mild winters vs. shorter hot summers and cold snowy winters.( I am considering moving to Connecticut) Neither one is perfect so I am concentrating on the "must haves"....

Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 AM

942 posts, read 1,068,064 times
Maybe we are finding there is really no place to go

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Thank you all. The other major concern is my husband has bad lungs and a bad back from his years as a firefighter. The humidity in the South would kill him. The rain up here is too much for me to bear. The Southwest is dry enough but still too expensive.

I was thinking the Midwest somewhere, but I don't know where exactly. Seems most of those places get pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. But I have got to get out of this 9 months of rain up here. I was thinking maybe Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, or Missouri. They are all right smack in the middle of the country, and I know the cost of living is better there. I just am not sure about everything else, i.e., taxes, weather, etc. I have been reading all the information given on these states here, but I really want to know about retirement in those places, taxes, etc.

I thank you all SO much for answering my questions and respectfully ask for any more information anyone has to offer. I am reading everything and listening to all.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Thank you all. The other major concern is my husband has bad lungs and a bad back from his years as a firefighter. The humidity in the South would kill him. The rain up here is too much for me to bear. The Southwest is dry enough but still too expensive.

I was thinking the Midwest somewhere, but I don't know where exactly. Seems most of those places get pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. But I have got to get out of this 9 months of rain up here. I was thinking maybe Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, or Missouri. They are all right smack in the middle of the country, and I know the cost of living is better there. I just am not sure about everything else, i.e., taxes, weather, etc. I have been reading all the information given on these states here, but I really want to know about retirement in those places, taxes, etc.

I thank you all SO much for answering my questions and respectfully ask for any more information anyone has to offer. I am reading everything and listening to all.
I think you need to take a vacation, and go on a road trip! Why not? You could have fun, and check out some of the areas that interest you and narrow things down a bit.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Yep....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I think you need to take a vacation, and go on a road trip! Why not? You could have fun, and check out some of the areas that interest you and narrow things down a bit.
That's EXACTLY what we are thinking of doing; just need a few ideas about where might be good places to go. MoMark has been singing the praises of Missouri, so that's on our list of possibilities...just looking for other ideas before we choose one....

By the way, I heard MoMark was a redhead; is that true? So was I, though I'm completely white-haired now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or