U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
 
6,945 posts, read 15,802,003 times
Reputation: 6427
When you get right down to facts, it's wasteful to bury people with clothes on. They could be put in that expensive casket buck naked and it wouldn't matter to them. The clothes might not bring in a lot of money, but some poor person might get some good out of them.

Another thought. If the hair is long enough, you could cut it and sell it too. If the person had lost all his/her hair due to chemotherapy, bury them bald and sell the wigs.

You see.....the problem with pulling the teeth for the gold is that it depends on how badly you need the money and how much you care for the person. It won't matter to anyone but you.

Don't forget to remove the wedding rings either. You could probably get more for them than you could from the teeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,411,740 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
I don't know, something about this topic of gold fillings makes me think of the nazis in the concentration camps during ww2, taking the gold fillings from all those poor souls before gassing them. Creepy.
It really isn't the same thing at all. The Nazis took all valuables from live people, then murdered them. This topic is about fully deceased people and whether valuables should be kept by their relatives or let the morticians do what they want with them. Good point about the wedding rings. I've heard that morticians routinely take those too if the family doesn't take them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 5,682,850 times
Reputation: 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
It really isn't the same thing at all. The Nazis took all valuables from live people, then murdered them. This topic is about fully deceased people and whether valuables should be kept by their relatives or let the morticians do what they want with them. Good point about the wedding rings. I've heard that morticians routinely take those too if the family doesn't take them.

I wonder if the mortician took the can of beer and box of snuff my neighbor had put in his coffin ( by his son) right before the coffin was closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
 
5,422 posts, read 5,673,620 times
Reputation: 5360
I suppose I could go either way on this overall issue. I do think its supremely wasteful to bury diamond rings, expensive watches etc. with the dead. Surely there more meaningful sentimental items that can be buried with them, pictures, favorite flowers etc. My father's childhood and true self was a farmer though he had to work in a factory as an adult. I had a sheaf of wheat pinned inside his casket. Sell the expensive items and donate to...whatever... X type cancer research, favorite charities of the deceased, hand some money to a struggling family... whatever.
On the other hand I can (sort of) undstand the sentimentality of burying engagement rings et. enough that I wouldn't judge either.
Considering the indiginities of modern mortuary I can hardly exclude taking out any gold if it were valuable enough to warrant. "Let them rest in peace" - if you believed that you wouldn't submit them to a mortician at all IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 AM
 
162 posts, read 379,987 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
When you get right down to facts, it's wasteful to bury people with clothes on. They could be put in that expensive casket buck naked and it wouldn't matter to them. The clothes might not bring in a lot of money, but some poor person might get some good out of them.
edit to add: I get and appreciate the sarcasm in your post.

Last year, I buried Mom in a moderately expensive dress, with her pearl studs and necklace, and her wedding and engagement ring. Her long-time hairdresser did her hair, make-up, and nails.
She had picked out and paid for her casket, too
All together, I could have made 1k-3k dollars if I had disregarded her wishes.
None of these were my idea or taste, yet it's what Mom requested. (Yes, we had had a "death panel" discussion in which Mom specified these, as well as medical matters.) i was happy to know and follow her wishes.
When the mortician asked about removing her pacemaker, I said no, and later I just let the medical provider be damned when they requested I return it to them in the mail envelope they provided. geez.
The funeral home did not steal anything, I was there when they closed the coffin, moved it to the hearse, and then to the burial plot.

I've made my own arrangements to be cremated, in the basic (ie cheapest) container when I die. No jewelry. But if I have gold fillings or a pacemaker by that time, I swear I'll haunt anyone and everyone who extracts them!

As always, ymmv.

Last edited by miokie; 08-15-2009 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,411,740 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by miokie View Post
edit to add: I get and appreciate the sarcasm in your post.

Last year, I buried Mom in a moderately expensive dress, with her pearl studs and necklace, and her wedding and engagement ring. Her long-time hairdresser did her hair, make-up, and nails.
She had picked out and paid for her casket, too
All together, I could have made 1k-3k dollars if I had disregarded her wishes.
None of these were my idea or taste, yet it's what Mom requested. (Yes, we had had a "death panel" discussion in which Mom specified these, as well as medical matters.) i was happy to know and follow her wishes.
When the mortician asked about removing her pacemaker, I said no, and later I just let the medical provider be damned when they requested I return it to them in the mail envelope they provided. geez.
The funeral home did not steal anything, I was there when they closed the coffin, moved it to the hearse, and then to the burial plot.

I've made my own arrangements to be cremated, in the basic (ie cheapest) container when I die. No jewelry. But if I have gold fillings or a pacemaker by that time, I swear I'll haunt anyone and everyone who extracts them!

As always, ymmv.
And this is the salient point - let your wishes be known to your heirs. If it made you feel better, then it was the right thing to do. End of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 7,580,488 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Both my parents were cremated, at their request, and their ashes scattered, so whether they were buried with their teeth or not is irrelevant. They both thought that funerals were a waste of money and visiting cemeteries a waste of time.
Yes, they are a terrible waste of money at a time when loved ones don't need the worry or the grief of a money sucking mortician feeding on the estate those left behind need.

We plan to be cremated with our knee implants donated to a medical school and my gold teeth sold to recover the money in them.

Make no mistake any valuables left on/in the body after viewing the body will be removed and sold by the mortician since once the casket is closed no one will be the wiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 5,682,850 times
Reputation: 8127
Amazing !

Eight days and 27 posts later, no one even has mentioned what money each gold tooth would be worth. ( yet many posters talk about extracting and selling them)

Last edited by marmac; 08-15-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 PM
 
6,945 posts, read 15,802,003 times
Reputation: 6427
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Amazing !

Eight days and 27 posts later, no one even has mentioned what money each gold tooth would be worth. ( yet many posters talk about extracting and selling them)
The price of gold goes up and down like a roller coaster. Let's say it's at $800 per ounce. (has been higher, has been lower) The amount of gold in a tooth depends on the size of the filling, etc. It would only be a small fraction of an ounce. There is difference in the type of alloy used and you would have to figure in the cost of melting down and extracting the gold from the other metal.

So, the best guess would be....What?

It may have been a very expensive filling, but the cost included the skill of the dentist and a lot of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,173 posts, read 4,809,463 times
Reputation: 1409
It depends on how old the inlay is. And it would be an inlay, not a filling. 50 years or so ago, 18k gold was used for inlays. Now, it's a synthetic or an alloy. An inlay is just cemented in. Many come out on their own as the tooth decays around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top