Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times

Advertisements

Ouch! Your college expenses got my attention, although my reference frame is about a decade ago. By local colleges, are you referring to state or private institutions? One of the parameters I discussed at length with my kids pre-college selection was ROI. And yes, we discussed the non-economic variables concerning social contacts etc., but they made their decisions primarily based on economics. Interestingly, my relatively new SIL (son-in-law, I just clocked 3 years with wife #2) graduated with honors from St. Johns law school in NY two years ago. I obviously had no input into his planning. He intentionally sought and obtained employment with a company that covered 80+% of his law school costs while he was employed full time with them at a fairly decent salary. He completed the degree nights and summers in three years. SIL #2 got his masters essentially free from his employer (University of Maryland) doing the same plan. Neither of them will ever likely impact our retirement finances. My point being that planning (and hard work), whether parental or otherwise, is the key issue for financial stability and security, for both munchkins and retirement folks.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 08-12-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Ouch! Your college expenses got my attention, although my reference frame is about a decade ago. By local colleges, are you referring to state or private institutions? One of the parameters I discussed at length with my kids pre-college selection was ROI. And yes, we discussed the non-economic variables concerning social contacts etc., but they made their decisions primarily based on economics. Interestingly, my relatively new SIL (son-in-law, I just clocked 3 years with wife #2) graduated with honors from St. Johns law school in NY two years ago. I obviously had no input into his planning. He intentionally sought and obtained employment with a company that covered 80+% of his law school costs while he was employed full time with them at a fairly decent salary. He completed the degree nights and summers in three years. SIL #2 got his masters essentially free from his employer (University of Maryland) doing the same plan. Neither of them will ever likely impact our retirement finances. My point being that planning (and hard work), whether parental or otherwise, is the key issue for financial stability and security, for both munchkins and retirement folks.
colleges were city, queens college, law school was hofstra

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Gandalara - boomerang insurance is to position your kids with enough cash upon college graduation or completion of other training to start their careers with NO debt and sufficient cash for a solid late model used car, professional wardrobe, utility/rental deposits, apartment furnishings, etc., etc.
Ah, thank you. Had never heard the term before. Or maybe I always ignored it ... the only boomerang kids I have are exchange students that come back to visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement