U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM

160 posts, read 288,237 times

Advertisements

I have received almost a dozen e-mails with folks wondering how to become a Hobo. I feel that if I received a dozen e-mails, that means alot more are wondering the same thing.
The Hobo life was made for everyone, but not everyone was made to be a Hobo.
You will find what you need to get started here...How to Become a Hobo - wikiHow

This is a perfect way to retire and see the world, as a modern day Hobo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Bascially the old Hoboes were homeless people which started in the depression era. There use to be Hobo camp sites into the 50's and people then were more trusting ;so they knew that if they stopped and knocked at a residence the person was likely to fix them a meal. That is because the residence remmebered the depression themselves. Now days people are more likely to call the poice with the distrust of violence. Its like the old truck drivers in the 50's who were thought of a knights of the roadways. Stopped to help anyone broke down or went and sent help. Now days they will run you over. Not a good world to be a homeless person or hobo in.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM

4,016 posts, read 8,506,951 times
To become a Hobo you need:

1. A stick with a big bandana tied on it to carry your stuff.
2. A silk top hat with the top torn out and flapping loose.
3. A tin can with a jagged top bent up top to cook in.
3. A short black beard that is trimmed around your mouth so your lips are emphasized.
4. Shoes with holes in the soles that you have stuffed newspaper into.

You are now an official Hobo.

Avoid associating with the homeless winos, dopers, and crazies.
They are an unsavory and dangerous lot and have given Hobos a bad name.
They have also taken over all the good Hobo camping spots.
If you see shopping carts and piles of junk, move on.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,902,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
To become a Hobo you need:

1. A stick with a big bandana tied on it to carry your stuff.
2. A silk top hat with the top torn out and flapping loose.
3. A tin can with a jagged top bent up top to cook in.
3. A short black beard that is trimmed around your mouth so your lips are emphasized.
4. Shoes with holes in the soles that you have stuffed newspaper into.

You are now an official Hobo.

Avoid associating with the homeless winos, dopers, and crazies.
They are an unsavory and dangerous lot and have given Hobos a bad name.
They have also taken over all the good Hobo camping spots.
If you see shopping carts and piles of junk, move on.
Fat Freddie you had me rofl with that one. I owe you a rep

Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM

13,539 posts, read 10,422,783 times
Anyone who thinks this life is glamorous should spend some time in down town Portland OR. The blocks are strewn with homeless people. It's a sad gauntlet to have to run each day and it reminds us that it can happen to anyone.

Sorry to be such a downer but I never found the prospect of being homeless which is what a hobo is, either glamorous or exiting. Too close to home I guess.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM

5,213 posts, read 6,014,342 times
Was it really necessary to start yet another ridiculous thread on this subject? Can't you just continue to discuss this subject in the other threads that you already started on various aspects of living the life of a hobo? What is the purpose (other than exhibiting troll-like behavior) of cluttering up this board with numerous threads on the same subject?

Please stop.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:32 PM

160 posts, read 288,237 times
Ridiculous?

1. Read some of your own posts
2. Dont read mine
3. Dont post on mine and keep it at the top of the page

Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM

137 posts, read 257,150 times
Like a poster stated in another thread, I'd rather work and die at my desk.
I'm approaching retirement now and the last thing I would want is to live like a homeless drifter. We'll do our share of traveling, but it will be under comfortable conditions.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM

29,738 posts, read 26,463,503 times
i got to admit i got an open mind to most anything but this was a rediculous post especially because i would imagine the folks here on this board are here to learn how to improve their life style and financial well being not live the life a total failure or drifter.

sorry guy we dont mean to give ya a BUM STEER but i think the people here want to better themselves so they dont end up a hobo or living in the back of a box truck,,,afterall thats why we all are here on this forum and im why im taking the time to throw out ideas and thoughts many never looked at or thought about on the forum..... , the whole concept is improvement for all of us or fresh looks at things that better us.....

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-10-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,675,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i got to admit i got an open mind to most anything but this was a rediculous post especially because i would imagine the folks here on this board are here to learn how to improve their life style and financial well being not live the life a total failure or drifter.

sorry guy we dont mean to give ya a BUM STEER but i think the people here want to better themselves so they dont end up a hobo or living in the back of a box truck,,,afterall thats why we all are here on this forum and im why im taking the time to throw out ideas and thoughts many never looked at or thought about on the forum..... , the whole concept is improvement for all of us or fresh looks at things that better us.....
While this is not what I aspire to, it is an alternative lifestyle. It is repetitive to the other thread; that was valid criticism. But really, just because you all want nothing to do with this idea is no reason to condemn the OP for posting about it and saying it doesn't belong here. There are people of all financial conditions here and even if the whole hobo lifestyle is not what one might want, there is information to be gleaned about ways to cuts costs. In addition, there is info on what one really might need as opposed to conspicuous consumption. It is a valid thread. If it isn't something you want, then opining so is fine, but let it be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement