U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 PM

128 posts, read 356,708 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I will be retiring in about 3 years and have been serching for an "active" retirement community in a special place. We currently live in NJ and while we want a lifestyle with friendly people, we need diversity in culture (we voted for Obama) and are educated and fairly liberal. We are pretty much organic (Whole Food Shoppers) I am Jewish and my husband is spirtual

My husband is approaching 60 (already retired, lucky dog!) and I am 53 and can't wait to get out of the corporate rat race and get a part-time job. I don't care if I am a Wal Mart greeter!

We have looked at Del Webb's Sun Carolina Lakes in SC, near Charlotte. Like the City of Charlotte, lot to do and the people seemed friendly. We loved the indoor pool, full workout center with tons of clubs and activies, trips, etc,- - little pricey.

We have already been to Ashville, NC; Phoenix and Tucson, AZ, and did not care for any of them. Asheville, not enough to do and snows- -we don't want that and we like the greenery in the east. Starting to look at Tenessee as it has no state income tax and we hear it is nice as long as you stay in the "city"- - we understand Knoxville is very nice- - does anyone know how large the population is; weather; diversity in people, cost, etc in Knoxville?

We have also looked in Fla; however we owned a condo at one time in Long Boat Key which we loved(near Sarasota) but very expensive, high prop taxes and hurricane insurance. Don't want to have those expenses on a fixed income in retirement.

We want to enjoy ourselves so prop taxes and other items such as a home (we want to buy outright) need to be reasonable. I have also researched Del Webb and they have an owner complaint website which does not look pretty, many owners countrywide in different communities are very unhappy with them. Everything from faulty sheetrock from China to roof almost caving in- - pretty scary!

Was wondering if anyone is living in a 55+ that really like their community and where do you think we might look. Thanks so much!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
Do take a look at Knoxville, TN. I love it here. Do a search on this forum for Knoxville for the posts I've made about the city.
Organic foods are plentiful. We have two Earthfare Supermarkets and two Fresh Markets. Plus the state of Tennessee is very actively helping small farmers go organic. We're blessed with an abundance of farmers' markets with many organic offerings.
Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products.
You'll find an active and relatively large Jewish community here. Unusual for the South. Plus a very wide variety of other religions from Baptist to Eastern, Pagan (really) and everything in-between.
Knoxville has a very diverse population, moderate weather (four real seasons but nothing extreme. Right now, 7 p.m., it's 77 degrees with a good breeze off the mountains), Beautiful scenery, low cost of living, a great university, excellent health care for people and animals (UT has a vet school and a med school), great college sports and the friendliest people you'll ever meet. It's very laid back, live and let live. There's always something to do, from non-credit classes and lectures at UT to plays, operas, concerts, festivals, crafts, gardening, cooking classes to just strolling downtown in the evening and staying for dinner and the free outdoor movie.
You can live in a loft downtown on the river or a restored Victorian or Craftsman bungalow in Old North or Fountain City.
Check out the Knoxville forum under Tennessee on city-data for more info.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I will be retiring in about 3 years and have been serching for an "active" retirement community in a special place. We currently live in NJ and while we want a lifestyle with friendly people, we need diversity in culture (we voted for Obama) and are educated and fairly liberal. We are pretty much organic (Whole Food Shoppers) I am Jewish and my husband is spirtual

My husband is approaching 60 (already retired, lucky dog!) and I am 53 and can't wait to get out of the corporate rat race and get a part-time job. I don't care if I am a Wal Mart greeter!

We have looked at Del Webb's Sun Carolina Lakes in SC, near Charlotte. Like the City of Charlotte, lot to do and the people seemed friendly. We loved the indoor pool, full workout center with tons of clubs and activies, trips, etc,- - little pricey.

We have already been to Ashville, NC; Phoenix and Tucson, AZ, and did not care for any of them. Asheville, not enough to do and snows- -we don't want that and we like the greenery in the east. Starting to look at Tenessee as it has no state income tax and we hear it is nice as long as you stay in the "city"- - we understand Knoxville is very nice- - does anyone know how large the population is; weather; diversity in people, cost, etc in Knoxville?

We have also looked in Fla; however we owned a condo at one time in Long Boat Key which we loved(near Sarasota) but very expensive, high prop taxes and hurricane insurance. Don't want to have those expenses on a fixed income in retirement.

We want to enjoy ourselves so prop taxes and other items such as a home (we want to buy outright) need to be reasonable. I have also researched Del Webb and they have an owner complaint website which does not look pretty, many owners countrywide in different communities are very unhappy with them. Everything from faulty sheetrock from China to roof almost caving in- - pretty scary!

Was wondering if anyone is living in a 55+ that really like their community and where do you think we might look. Thanks so much!

Sandy
Try looking at the Del Webb community in Cary, North Carolina. Cary has a lot of transplants and was prime Obama country in the last election. It is a typical Del Webb community. I believe pricier than the one in Hilton Head. Since you have concerns about Del Webb and I understand, there is a new one opening in Cary and there may be some others. I am not sure of the name of the new one.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Del Webb Retirement community in limbo | HADD - Home Owners Against Deficient Dwellings
Active retirement communities are having problems in many areas of the country. It was a predictable problem and I always considered it a Ponzi scheme of sorts that the decline of has been exacerbated by the recession and over kill in development. There will only be so many people to sell to in 25-30 years. They are already finding it difficult to find new customers since the houses people need to sell to buy have shrunk in value. The OP wants to pay cash and I suspect 3 years ago he would have had more cash to buy with after selling his current home.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
The Orchards

Have you looked at any of the Orchards Group communitites in Georgia? There are 3 in this area north of Atlanta. We are fairly near the North Georgia Mountains (~1 hr.) and many beautiful parks with hiking trails and waterfalls. One community is Brannon Oak Farm and another is The Orchards of East Cherokee. There are others, I believe. Some may be sold out, but resales are probably available.

Last edited by staywarm2; 08-24-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times
Be careful of the Del Webb in Florida by Disneyworld. There are only 90 homes sold and it is becoming quite a ghost town. I am so glad we did not buy there a year ago.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM

128 posts, read 356,708 times
Default I really appreicate everyone's responses!

There are so many horror stories that Ihear about Del Webb-hopefully we can find another community for retiree's that has a lot of activites.

We are going to look into Knoxville and see if it is for us.

Otherwise, any other suggestions would be great!

Regards,
Sandy

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Do take a look at Knoxville, TN. I love it here. Do a search on this forum for Knoxville for the posts I've made about the city.
Organic foods are plentiful. We have two Earthfare Supermarkets and two Fresh Markets. Plus the state of Tennessee is very actively helping small farmers go organic. We're blessed with an abundance of farmers' markets with many organic offerings.
Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products.
You'll find an active and relatively large Jewish community here. Unusual for the South. Plus a very wide variety of other religions from Baptist to Eastern, Pagan (really) and everything in-between.
Knoxville has a very diverse population, moderate weather (four real seasons but nothing extreme. Right now, 7 p.m., it's 77 degrees with a good breeze off the mountains), Beautiful scenery, low cost of living, a great university, excellent health care for people and animals (UT has a vet school and a med school), great college sports and the friendliest people you'll ever meet. It's very laid back, live and let live. There's always something to do, from non-credit classes and lectures at UT to plays, operas, concerts, festivals, crafts, gardening, cooking classes to just strolling downtown in the evening and staying for dinner and the free outdoor movie.
You can live in a loft downtown on the river or a restored Victorian or Craftsman bungalow in Old North or Fountain City.
Check out the Knoxville forum under Tennessee on city-data for more info.
Can't wait to visit next Spring with possible relocation in mind.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
If anyone heads this way, DM me. We can meet for lunch or dinner or drinks.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM

28,239 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The Orchards

Have you looked at any of the Orchards Group communitites in Georgia? There are 3 in this area north of Atlanta. We are fairly near the North Georgia Mountains (~1 hr.) and many beautiful parks with hiking trails and waterfalls. One community is Brannon Oak Farm and another is The Orchards of East Cherokee. There are others, I believe. Some may be sold out, but resales are probably available.
This sounded interesting so I looked at their site. It seems the majority of their house plans only have a shower, no tub.

My wife will say, "No way" to those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement