U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 03:59 PM

257 posts, read 995,671 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking of doing this after, or before retirement? The only downside I can see is sharing a cabin at my age..........hehehehe!!! But, look at all the great places u get to see. When u are sick of one cruise line, just hop on another.........!!

I work goofy hours, weekends now don't think that will phase me! Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 04:39 PM

658 posts, read 2,223,063 times
i would love to work on a cruise ship or flight attendant or some kind of resort/vacation place but i have a really young child and i dont think they would let me bring her along

Old 04-29-2007, 01:23 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
My daughter's MIL is an anthropologist, and retired. She has been on a cruise ship (since February) teaching, something she was very enthusiast about and looked forward to for several years. It's a worldwide cruise and judging from some emails, she is having a ball.

I don't believe she is sharing a cabin, and she has gotten off-shore quite a bit. In fact, she visited with my oldest friend on the first leg of her trip.

I've never thought about it myself, and doubt that it's in my cards, but who knows.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,094 times
Hi

I found this article by someone who talks about his experiences of working on cruise ships. Pretty neat and informative, like inside information.

here's the link: http://www.quazen.com/Business/Emplo...in-Mates.24819

Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Anyone thinking of doing this after, or before retirement? The only downside I can see is sharing a cabin at my age..........hehehehe!!! But, look at all the great places u get to see. When u are sick of one cruise line, just hop on another.........!!

I work goofy hours, weekends now don't think that will phase me! Anyone have any experience with this?
I'm a military registered nurse. A colleague told me that working cruise ships (medical coverage) was a fun job. I can imagine the horror stories of out of shape passengers having heart attacks while on the ship. Its probably not all R&R for workers.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,252 times
I noticed when I was on a cruise ship, that the people there work very, very hard. They seem to be working almost 24 hours/day. Reminds me of when I worked at a summer camp, and we worked just about all day.

Some of the guys told us that they are away for 9 months, and then 3 months off, and a lot of them left families behind and only have that 3-month time together.

Also, the women doing the facials/massages said they share a cabin, and it was tiny and cramped. They said the employees never get a nice cabin.

I certainly wouldn't do it - as I get older, the less running around I want to do at work.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,478,633 times
My situation is a tad different. I work on a tow boat, 28 on, 28 off on the Mississippi River. I cook 3 meals a day all 28 days for a crew of 9 to 10, depending on rather we have a Jr. engineer or not.

I have my own room that just recently got new furniture and that included a nice comfortable recliner. I love what I do and at times we just have so much fun. My Captain and our Cheif engineer are two crazy nuts and keep us laughing. I will be able to retire in a few years but if I can always be as happy as I am where I am now, I would work forever!

If I do retire, I would still like to do what we call "trip work" and that is not to be an employee but go when they need someone to fill in.

The boat I am on, only stops to drop off or pick up barges so it constatntly is moving. Every day, I can't wait for daylight to see where we are. It is so pretty out there, I love it. I have seen some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets, some awesome clouds and double rainbows! Here are a few pictures I took last trip.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
This is the information we received from several employees working cruise lines.
The majority of the employees on cruise ships are of foreign residency. The cruise lines hire foreigners to avoid the paperwork and taxes required by the US government. Only a handful of high positions are enjoyed by US citizens. Most high positions are of British descent. Most cruise ships are of foreign registry.
The hours are long, generally 16 hours, seven days a week. They share quarters (usually 4 to a room) in the bottom cramped levels of the ship. They all are on contracts, mostly for 6 months. If you quit before the contract is over, they dump you off at the nearest port and you pay to get home. The only times most employees get off are a few hours in ports. They can't call or contact family until they get off the ship at the ports. They get small pay, but big tips that can add up to humongus pay at the end of their contract. Many work a variety of jobs at different shifts.
It's not all the glory and fun many dream of.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Very helpful post - not as glamorous as I expected. Sounds like sweatshop, slave type labor.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,243 times
Default cruise ship wellness jobs

I would like a job as a wellnes director on a cuise ship. Any leads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or