U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,585,961 times

Advertisements

We left S.Calif for N. Calif many years ago. Got tired of crime and traffic etc. We found a small mountain town and thought we would finish raising our kids and retire there. What a mistake that was. We almost starved to death the first 5 years. It was a "good ole boys club" and they did not like outsiders (after they took all your money). We could not wait to get out of there. After our girls graduated from college, we moved to a nice bigger city in AZ and are having a wonderful time. So, we had it backwards. Next time we rent for a few years then make a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Now that I am in my 50s, I could sell my home and with my other investments semi retire in a small town out of State where housing prices are low. If I could find a part time job paying me at least $500 a month.
One thing to consider is that sometimes these small towns have low housing prices and low cost of living, because jobs are very scarce. It might not be all that easy to find the job you are expecting.

(I have lived in a lot of communities of different sizes, though I am not retired yet so I don't have any other comments).

Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,621,880 times
I have lived in all sizes of communities(except rural countryside) and each has its points. However, if one is retiring to a place that is more low-key than a major city, for myself I would want someplace that was compact and walkable and had access to services and goods by walking, with bikes, or public transport. As the eyes go and the driving becomes a problem, what do you do in the typical American town that requires a car for every need?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,002,251 times
I guess you have to define "small". We are not retired yet but when we do we will consider moving back to the town we just moved from. It is a town of 12,000 people, has all the day to day things you need, grocery stores, Walmart, medical clinic, hospital, etc. If you want to do a major clothes shopping run there are places within an hour or two. Housing prices are low in comparison to most metro areas, high for the small towns around there though. Many of the small towns around there you can find a house for about $50,000 for a pretty nice house, in our old town it would be about $100,000.

There are several major employers in this town so finding a job is not an issue, especially if you only want to make about $500/month. Most of the jobs there you would net out about $1200/month for your basic office worker/customer service type job.

It is a nice little town with a lot to offer mainly thanks to the vision of the major employer in town 40 years ago.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times
Thumbs up We did

We moved from a big city to a small town. Worked for us. But here's something to think about, though...the price of gasoline is going up, up, up. If you move to a small town, think about location--can you walk to most everything you need--or ride a bike? If not, you'd better be prepared to spend a lot on transportation.

Some folks long for the country and move way outside of town and have to drive everywhere. Gets old real soon, and can be isolating. You don't need more than a third of an acre to raise most of your vegies. But if you want to have chickens or livestock, you likely will need more land than that.

Our location is so handy--we can walk/bike ride to two groceries, several restaurants, video store, vet, dr., dentist, library, banks and more. We could live without a car.

Do we miss the metro area? Sometimes. Ethnic restaurants and museums and lectures and such. But the ease of small town living outweighs all that by far. It's so easy here--no congestion, friendly folks, feeling safe. Quiet. Our entertainment is simple. Walks on the beach, reading Netflix, and having friends over for dinner and do other uncomplicated things--bike riding ranks high. And, of course, the Internet connects us to the world.

Work can be problematic and ill-paying in small towns so it's good if you can import your work with you--or have skills sorely needed in your new small town. Otherwise, many wages aren't much over minimum...we both work over the web...

The first couple of years might put you in a state of shock, it did us, but as our stress and blood pressure dropped, so did our desire for the metro area...

Anyhow, hope it all works out for you...maybe selecting a college town will add some cultural pizazz to your life instead of a purely rural location.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,376,430 times
There's something to be said for retiring to a place with little or no traffic. I found the difference so astounding. My blood pressure has lowered and I just find myself more relaxed and less stressed. It has to be better for my health in general than being the the kind of traffic congestion that I was used to the majority of my life.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,654 times
I was born and raised in Brooklyn - loved my subway ride into the city. Thought I'd never leave - thought I could n leave chaos. I was able to retire just last year at age 55 and I moved to a small community (outside St Pete) in Florida. I never want a big city again and I am amazed that I love where I am in Florida. I think the trick is not to go big or small but to go community. Be in a place with people who are nice, think young, you can relate to, and where stuff is happening - not big or small stuff - just stuff. Be involved and try new things.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,890,709 times
Many cities or small towns are revamping themselves and becoming what is called retirement communities. There should be some information on the web about these type of communities. They are geared for retirees and are supposed to be retiree friendly.

I know a nearby town, Tupelo, MS has become one of these communities, and they do advertise this fact in major publications.

Many of these type of communities are realizing that walking and cycling are things that need to be incorporated into the zoning and area designated for the community within a community. I know Tupelo has added many things that appeal to the more distinguished set such as theatre, orchastra and parks and rec as well as indoor football and hockey.

I'm sure if you google this, you can find designated cities all over the country and get an idea of what you are looking for, if I am not mistaken, there are brochures and packages with information available as well.

Then, you can take time out to visit the more interesting ones and see first hand if it is something you might like, and even talk to people who are living in these communities.

hope this was some help.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,872,830 times
I know some folks that retired from the major metro area to 12 acres in a rural area. Ten years later the property is too much for them to handle, too difficult to maintain, too expensive, requires a lot of hired help. They are moving back to the outer 'burbs to a much smaller house on a small lot.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 PM

25,463 posts, read 12,229,157 times
Over 35 years ago my husband and I moved to a VERY rural area. 7 miles north of a town of 2500 people. Whole county has less than 16K! We moved from the big city due to a lake community that we were involved in developing along w/family and a few friends. For many years I have desired to move back to the outskirts of the city that we left. Why?

Lack of shopping, whether it be for groceries, clothing, vehicles (not that often), the theater, restaurants, library, and many other establishments that we had been used to. Now my DH is in declining health and I must drive almost 2 hrs. for visits to his drs. office. Good thing that I really enjoy driving, so far Plus we may have only an acre and a half, but over the years we have had the fun of making a garden and planting flowers, etc. Not a lot of time left to do all of the chores required now. I do love the woods surrounding our home and the seclusion at the lake. I will miss this aspect if and when we do move.

If a person is thinking of retiring to a very small town, do keep in mind that the very smallness will result in lack of so many requirements that accompany advancing age whether in good health or not so good. The ideal to me would be just on the outskirts of a larger community that has all of the cultural and business advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or