Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

83 posts, read 357,277 times

Advertisements

Will my retirement funds be protected from credit card companys by filing for bankruptcy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I am not sure anything is really protected under the new bankruptcy laws. All assets are fair game. At least that was my understanding. Might ask your attny if you are using one.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:54 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Bankruptcy Information - San Jose/Silicon Valley, California

Quote:
What assets are debtors entitled to exempt from sale by the Trustee?
A debtor filing bankruptcy in California can choose between 2 different menus, or slates, of exemptions, generally referred to as the "federal" and "California" exemptions. These exemptions include, for example, equity in an automobile, a homestead, basic household furniture and furnishings, certain interests in jewelry, tools of the trade, life insurance policies and retirement plans, disability payments, personal injury causes of actions, and other exemptions. In claiming the exemptions, the items are typically valued at their current fair market value, and not their original purchase price. Also, the value of an item is reduced by the amount of any loan (secured claim) that may exist against said item. If there are no objections to the debtor’s claim of exemptions within 30 days after the completion of the meeting of creditors, the exemptions are typically allowed (approved) as a matter of course.
However, to be absolutely positive, a lawyer is a MUST! Liz

Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
I guess I have to ask this; Why did you let your credit cards get so high that you have to file bankruptcy? Is that the only solution, or just the easiest one?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

What would you suggest? My husband and myself (children of the 60's) have not been too smart in the past, do you have any other ideas to get us out of this mess without bankruptcy? We just want to get the payments down so we can afford to eat and have cloths to wear. Any suggestion would be appreciated.:

Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
What would you suggest? My husband and myself (children of the 60's) have not been too smart in the past, do you have any other ideas to get us out of this mess without bankruptcy? We just want to get the payments down so we can afford to eat and have cloths to wear. Any suggestion would be appreciated.:
Don't blame society (i.e, saying you are a child of the 60's. So am I but I don't have massive credit card balances)

Be a grown-up and talk to your creditors. Tell them you are having a difficult time but want to do the right thing. Work out a payment schedule.

Cut up your credit cards. Yes, every one of them. If you need something pay cash. If you don't have the cash, wait until you do.

Once you have paid every card off in full, get ONE card. Use it as a convenience card, not for credit. Only charge what you know you can pay off when the bill comes.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know, can I talk to credit card companies, will they listen and let you make arrangements or just put garnishments on your wages. I hate to sound so stupid but this is the first time in 30 years of marrage we have had this trouble. My husband just retired and there just isn't enough money left for the bills as they are.
I see you are a broker, no doubt you have more money sense then I do, all I am is a secretary

Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
can I talk to credit card companies, will they listen and let you make arrangements
Most will but they will still want a certain amount of money each month and all it takes is ONE that will not cooperate.

I suggest talking to a certified credit card counselor in your area. NOT one advertised on TV but one certified by the federal government: U.S. Trustee Program/Dept. of Justice

Because if you DO end up going the bankruptcy route, you will have to go thru this step anyway. Liz

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
You'd better do some serious research before declaring bankruptcy there are new laws. Contact the above noted site for a referral. I know people that were able to keep their homes but had to give up their cars in favor of a clunker that was given to them instead.

Credit card companies will negotiate, especially if you have a chunk of money to settle with. They will also establish payment plans I believe. What does often happen is that any portion of the debt that is forgiven is taxable as income to you. They will send a form a year end which you have to include in your taxes. This can cause a financial pinch too. They may also sell the amount of forgiven debt to a nasty collection agency who buys it at a discount.

You need to find out where you're bleeding financially. What caused this problem? If your expenses are more than your income you've got to cut down, sell out and rent, move, stop spending, or get adll income. If the fundamental cause isn't addressed the problem will continue and escalate.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
My husband just retired and there just isn't enough money left for the bills as they are
He needs to go back to work NOW. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement