Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times

Advertisements

My impression of New Mexico - and this is just from being in Santa Fe, Taos and northern cities.... is that it's a VERY poor state. Like 3rd world poor. I wonder about the level of social services for the citizens....senior and younger. I just didn't get a sense that there's much "infrastructure" there. And I came away cursing Gov. Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can check Reno and north, but it is a bit desolate. (Chico might work if CA taxes don't kill you)

Ft Collins, Loveland, Colo Springs, Colorado
Rapid City, SD, Billings and Bozeman, Mt
Sheridan, WY, Boise, Idaho Falls, Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, ID.

Wenatchee, Spokane, WA
I didn't add any from Oregon as their taxes are messed up, but... Bend, Lagrande, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Hood River and The Dalles are worth checking out.

That should keep you for awhile. I have learned to 'adapt' a little to no sun, after 30 yrs in the PNW, (but it IS sunny today and yesterday). but I do enjoy getting back home to Colorado or to Sacramento as often as possible. (too crowded for me in CO and CA). I have to live in a county without a stoplight, but still only 1 hr to international airport. I'm 20 min now, and spoiled.
We lived next to Chico and it had summers of 122 when we were there. When you mix the humidity from the rice farmers flooding the fields, it was almost unbearable compared to our intense summers here in AZ. I did love the old town feel of downtown next to the university. We enjoyed 15 really good years there. Every place we have looked at has a down side to it, be it weather or taxes. Pick a poison and go enjoy.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times
New Mexico is wonderful. I have not noticed anything negative about NM. It is beautiful; the people are friendly; services to sr citizens are solidly there. We live in Eastern NM and have traveled to 80% of the state and I still say that NM is the most beautiful and the friendliest place in the world. I'd recommend taking a good long look. I have lived all over the western and central U.S., Alaska and Hawaii. New Mexico is best; with Arizona coming up secondly - take a look at far southeast AZ -- Sunsites, Pearce, Tombstone - retirement desert communities -- best weather in the world and it is gorgeous there.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
New Mexico is wonderful. I have not noticed anything negative about NM. It is beautiful; the people are friendly; services to sr citizens are solidly there. We live in Eastern NM and have traveled to 80% of the state and I still say that NM is the most beautiful and the friendliest place in the world. I'd recommend taking a good long look. I have lived all over the western and central U.S., Alaska and Hawaii. New Mexico is best; with Arizona coming up secondly - take a look at far southeast AZ -- Sunsites, Pearce, Tombstone - retirement desert communities -- best weather in the world and it is gorgeous there.
Thx for adding this, ~ 20 yrs ago my mom chose Las Cruces and Ruidoso (for a few weeks in summer w/ rv spot). I am very impressed with the quality of the retired people in LC. Very pleasant, helpful, fun, talented, and educated. (BTW... I'm not easily impressed). She came from a beautiful Colorado mtn home (Too high for breathing EZ), and she has been very content in LC. I really like the 45 min access to ELP airport + having Old Mesilla nearby. The University is blooming with seniors and multi-gen activities and support.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times
Wink Las Cruces

Quote:
Thx for adding this, ~ 20 yrs ago my mom chose Las Cruces and Ruidoso (for a few weeks in summer w/ rv spot). I am very impressed with the quality of the retired people in LC. Very pleasant, helpful, fun, talented, and educated. (BTW... I'm not easily impressed). She came from a beautiful Colorado mtn home (Too high for breathing EZ), and she has been very content in LC. I really like the 45 min access to ELP airport + having Old Mesilla nearby. The University is blooming with seniors and multi-gen activities and support.
StealthRabbit, that is Great to hear!!! We drove down to see friends who moved down there and I heard the same thing! We have lived in Woodland Park CO & Chipita Park CO near CO Sprgs back in 1989-91 ...beautiful area but I'm 60 and altitude has begun to be a problem however, I found ginkgo biloba. I do like OR - I'd fit just fine. I bet it's wonderful there aside from cloudy skies? like our sojourn in Alaska for 15 years (Anchorage).

Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I love NM but I chose to move to Vegas. Lower taxes and lots to do. I've had enough cold to last me forever so I welcome the heat. There's a major airport just down the road that can get me anywhere I want to go.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love NM but I chose to move to Vegas. Lower taxes and lots to do. I've had enough cold to last me forever so I welcome the heat. There's a major airport just down the road that can get me anywhere I want to go.
yes, I see merit to that. LV has some nice-ity's I like Valley of Fire and Red Rock park and access to cheap flights.

My mom did these areas nearby for 3 - 5 yrs each before 'retreating' to NM (her first choice)

St George (age 62)
Havasu City (67)
then to LV > (70)
LC, NM ~ Age 73

- as we know 'life changes', and there were certainly good points in her quest - I hope to do similar on a global scale, and starting much earlier. (49+++ by now)

Hope LV continues to keep you 'warmed-up'. I looked at the US weather map today, and there are some significant masses who are shivering at the moment.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
yes, I see merit to that. LV has some nice-ity's I like Valley of Fire and Red Rock park and access to cheap flights.

My mom did these areas nearby for 3 - 5 yrs each before 'retreating' to NM (her first choice)

St George (age 62)
Havasu City (67)
then to LV > (70)
LC, NM ~ Age 73

- as we know 'life changes', and there were certainly good points in her quest - I hope to do similar on a global scale, and starting much earlier. (49+++ by now)

Hope LV continues to keep you 'warmed-up'. I looked at the US weather map today, and there are some significant masses who are shivering at the moment.
The weather here is generally so boring that the meteorologists keep us entertained with all the pictures and snowfall amounts elsewhere. Every time I see the people digging out and the horrible driving conditions I breathe a huge sigh of relief that I don't have those issues anymore.

All I have to worry about is my monthly summer heart attack when the electric bill arrives.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
All I have to worry about is my monthly summer heart attack when the electric bill arrives.
miss'n that minne'so'ta storm cellar, doan-cha-no

Since most of the homes in LV are 'slab-on-grade', its a bit impractical to add a basement, but that would be high on my agenda. I don't do AC well. I have had good luck with 'cool-tubes' also. Likely of little use if the nights aren't cool. One of my inventor friends made a 'mister' (like used in outdoor restaurants) for his heat pump and claims to save 30% on AC.

I like a SW style veranda and 10 ft overhangs around the perimeter of house. Better yet, figure a way to ship that heat to the 'North country' in a manner that takes 6 months to arrive (a LONG pipe w/fluid ) It will be just-in-time to benefit them and to add to your Christmas fund

The best city for some is very different than others, and that is a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement