Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 47,607 times

Advertisements

Does not need to be high gay population, just with people who are non judgmental. We keep to ourselves and are respectful with ourselves and others. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,121,402 times
sigh---you would think after 60 no one would care about your sexual orientation!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,016,518 times
Palm Springs

Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 47,607 times
I'm only early 40's, and look younger. Age is not a factor. Just want a place where people are friendly, young and older. There are places where people are still taken advantage of and/or abused to race, color, age, and/or sexual preference. Just want the odds in my favor.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,093,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Palm Springs
What about the "NOT high heat" thing? Doesn't PS have hellish summers?

Seems to me that Where to Retire magazine has done a survey in the past of arts-oriented and tolerant communities across the U.S. Check their website, I'll bet that somewhere they have a list of all their "Ten Most......" surveys.

How about Ithaca, NY. Attractive, lots of cultural activity because of Cornell and Ithaca. I woud think that a gay couple wouldn't ruffle any feathers there.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 PM

9,493 posts, read 16,384,905 times
You could try the Denver area. Or maybe the Northwest. There are a number of areas in New England but that is a brutally cold and expensive region. Coastal Calif is another area, but again is usually cost prohibitive for many. Let us know if you find any areas that appeal to you. Its always nice to know what others find with their research.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,633,814 times
This thread that ran for a couple of years may be of help to you or at least give you some options.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...etirement.html
If you persist to the end, the OP did find a good place.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,258,540 times
Sandpoint, ID

Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,093,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
This thread that ran for a couple of years may be of help to you or at least give you some options.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...etirement.html
If you persist to the end, the OP did find a good place.
Thanks for giving this link. I just checked it briefly and the comments looked to be of the lots of light and little heat variety (for a change.) I will certainly go back to it later in the day.

I recently spent 30 days in a gay retirement place in the US, which I could not stay in after I signed a rental contract, so that proved to be a very, very expensive error.

However, if I survive till the end of the contract, I may look again in the US. I am not looking to rent an apartment "in town," so to speak, but rather to live in a retirement village or apartment residence where there is the option for dining and some medical support.

This means, of course, that the exclusively gay options are almost none. (I am aware of Rainbow Vision in Santa Fe already.) I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of retirement villages or residences that are gay-friendly. This is from what I hear a more difficult search than just looking for a gay-friendly community.

Thanks for any info.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:11 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,993,822 times
If you are female and gay - check out Eugene, OR. Our summers get warm but since you'll be retired you can head to the coast where it's almost always chilly there, even in August and September. If you're artsy and don't mind storms... you might want to check out some of the artsy villages along the Oregon coast like Yachats or Manzanita... The whole Oregon coast is full of retirees of all sorts of people, and Pacific Northwesterners in general tend to keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement