U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,919,242 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt you are correct, norm, but it's where she wants to go, and go she will!

I do think generally the LA countries will be difficult to adjust to but then again some US towns are equally challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:24 PM

414 posts, read 1,470,083 times
We lived in the Bahamas for three years in the early 1980s. Heat, humidity and bugs; heat, humidity and bugs; heat, humidity and bugs; etc. etc. etc.

I'd imagine Latin America would be those three things on steroids. No thanx.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,653 times
I'm interested in Argentina and Chile. My teenaged daughter lived in Chile (Puerto Montt) as a foreign exchange student for six months this year, and she loved it!! It is not Third World there, and she loved the people, and food and all. She didn't mention bugs or humidity to me, although Puerto Montt is more like Seattle in weather.

I am also interested in maybe living abroad. I'm probably looking somewhere with more sun -- maybe Santiago or Argentina someplace. I am just beginning to explore.

I don't know if I should buy an inexpensive home here and rent it out and then go abroad, or if I should just go, or what. What are your opinions on this?

I do follow the Escape America newsletter:
Escape From America Magazine - Volume Nine Issue Number Five - May 2007

I'm not interested in any islands, though -- I get island fever.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Wisteria,

Do you know about this group:

International Living - Buy Real Estate and Beachfront Property, Retire Overseas

They have some interesting newsletters, too, in print. I saw about a dozen of them that got left at our free bin at the library in Taos, and received their online updates for about 3-6 months.

I found the places they recommended expensive, and very unusual--Bulgaria to the more common--Panama--but you might enjoy seeing what they have to offer.

Chile and Argentina. Interesting choices. My daughter lived in Bolivia for about a year; she really enjoyed the experience and I visited for about a month. Some very cosmopolitan cities in South America, but my failure to learn Spanish really keeps me from considering it.

Thanks for your link. I noticed immediately an article on Lucca (in Tuscany), a place I was thinking of visiting for an extended period.

I think overseas living can be very exciting with the right attitude and attributes--but it does take about 1-3 years to adjust. I lived in 3 European countries in my younger days.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Thanks, OntheRoad, I will check -- it may be linked with the Escape America stuff, but I'm not sure -- after awhile, they all start to sound the same!

Well, I'm going to take a Spanish class at the local community college this fall. My daughter came back bilingual and has been on me to learn Spanish better (had it in high school many moons ago, but forgot a bunch). So, maybe that will help.

I have never lived in another country, although I have traveled through Europe and other places. I just thought it would be very good, interesting, educational, and stimulating -- a nice way to top off a good life!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM

No doubt, Wisteria, it is an interesting, educational and stimulating experience. Remember that English movie when the woman went to live in Greece and how it changed her life...can't remember the name, but it was a very uplifting movie.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,591,693 times
Shirley Valentine?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Yes, that is the name of the movie; thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Shirley Valentine?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,343,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I'm interested in Argentina and Chile. My teenaged daughter lived in Chile (Puerto Montt) as a foreign exchange student for six months this year, and she loved it!! It is not Third World there, and she loved the people, and food and all. She didn't mention bugs or humidity to me, although Puerto Montt is more like Seattle in weather.

I am also interested in maybe living abroad. I'm probably looking somewhere with more sun -- maybe Santiago or Argentina someplace. I am just beginning to explore.

I don't know if I should buy an inexpensive home here and rent it out and then go abroad, or if I should just go, or what. What are your opinions on this?

I do follow the Escape America newsletter:
Escape From America Magazine - Volume Nine Issue Number Five - May 2007

I'm not interested in any islands, though -- I get island fever.
I think you should go, see, and do it all! One thing you might consider is living somewhere in the US that's somewhat of a tourist destination. Then you can trade houses with someone who wants to come to your area. I know some people who love doing this.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Yellowsnow: I think you should go, see, and do it all! One thing you might consider is living somewhere in the US that's somewhat of a tourist destination. Then you can trade houses with someone who wants to come to your area. I know some people who love doing this.
I have checked into doing this:

[urlmoderator cut[/url]

I'm already in a touristy area -- near Santa Cruz and an hour from San Francisco -- although I do live in the woods, so they'd have to like nature!

I'm actually trying to be more logical this time, instead of just packing up and getting on the road, which has been my tendency in the past. So, I'm thinking more about selling this house, buying a cheaper one but in a nice place, and then renting that and then traveling with the rental income and a small pension before S.S. kicks in.

I'm still mulling ideas. I have a year yet to figure it out because then my daughter goes to college. I'm collecting ideas all over the place, and I'm not sure what I'll really end up doing, but I don't think I'm the type who would be happy just hanging out and not doing much -- I love to explore, I'm curious and I can live cheaply!

But....I need to be more cautious now that I have a kid...I did a lot of bopping around before her, so this time I have to take her future needs into consideration, too -- don't want to blow everything I have making bad decisions.

Fortunately, my daughter speaks Spanish, so I'm having her go into Spanish-only sites for me to see what's really out there. Most things advertised for gringas tend to be way overpriced. I'm going to take some Spanish, too, this next semester -- might as well brush up on it...it seems I may need it...

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-31-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: no ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or