U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,774 times

Advertisements

Hello: My name is Walter and I have been in Peru now going on two years waitng on an exit visa for my new wife, then back to Ohio. I came here for only one thing but the mission was not accomplished as planned, so I have had time to study this country in detail. Best decision of my life and I would recommend it to any American who is considering other options before they cash in.

You have to understand that I am talking from my background and viewpoint and global mindset. Peru is a vary diverse country and multi cultural from one end of the nation to the other. Here there is just about any type of lifestyle you can imagine all within a solid traditional setting of the Catholic Spanish foundations. The people are warm, charming, extermely hard working, humble and such a contrast to the ugly fat and lazy Americans which seem to be so dumbed down as to let their and my beautiful country go straight down the tubes. Two Americas living side by side, the one that I remember of integrity and champion of liberty and freedom and now the other one ememplified by those card carrying members of Bush and Compnay. Because of exactly this, the expatriot movement will continue to grow and towards the South I am sure.

Cost of living here is about 1.5 of what it would be in the US, depending upon one,s former lifestyle. As for me, quality of life is most important and not a tourist or WalMart mentality. Peru is for you for sure as may well be other Latin American spots, Belize being a good english speaking choice. Financial opportunity is everywhere if you know how to do anyting, but mostly trades, travel, tourism, and real estate development. I could go on and on in praise of Peru, but if you are seriosuly thinking about pulling up roots, being tired of being sick and tired and not comefortable with the directions of things politically up there, the decline of the Dollar, rising inflation and difficulties of making ends meet, then Consider Peru and I will help you should you have any questions during that transition. Contact me as I have lots of time to respond. Come to Peru (http://www.peru.freedomroad.us - broken link)

Last edited by Waterlily; 06-04-2007 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: no emails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:36 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,920,738 times
Curious where you live in Peru, walterjii. I've been to Peru, spent some fascinating time in several towns, and Lima, but my favourite is Cuzco (Cusco) as a potential international retreat or re-location site.

Other towns were appealing for their architecture or history, but none compared, in my limited experience, to Cusco for the ex-pat!

Lima is such a huge city, and although I was there on arrival and departure into and out of Peru I never got a sense of its interior soul.

I'd love to hear more! Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Default Europe Anyone?

I built a small home, more like a mountain cabin, on a hillside outside outside of Salzburg, Austria. I really enjoy my time there and never experienced any anti American feelings directed at me. The people are warm and friendly and Austria is centrally located, making many destinations in Europe within a days drive.

Europe has many great cultural events and the history is incredible.

I am fortunate to have built when I did. Don't know if I could still do it today with the weak Dollar against the ever stronger Euro.

Day to day living expenses are quite modest, once housing and gasoline are taken out of the picture.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,920,738 times
Sounds lovely, Ultrarunner. Do you live in Austria year-long, and do you find yourself driving or taking public transportation?

I loved living in Holland, many years ago, but can't begin to imagine the changes that have occurred in the years since I left. But, occasionally, I do consider returning to Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I built a small home, more like a mountain cabin, on a hillside outside outside of Salzburg, Austria. I really enjoy my time there and never experienced any anti American feelings directed at me. The people are warm and friendly and Austria is centrally located, making many destinations in Europe within a days drive.

Europe has many great cultural events and the history is incredible.

I am fortunate to have built when I did. Don't know if I could still do it today with the weak Dollar against the ever stronger Euro.

Day to day living expenses are quite modest, once housing and gasoline are taken out of the picture.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,805,424 times
I've been to Costa Rica and last year I went to Panama and I even had all of the paperwork ready to get a pensionado visa. I read someone's post that said it was very expensive. I was interested in Panama City and living in a high rise condominium which have sprung up all over the place. I saw beautiful new condos for under $100,000 with views of downtown and the Pacific Ocean. My favorite was a three bedroom new condo for $87,000 and the view from every window was spectacular. I spent a couple of weeks there but in the end I decided not to do it for two main reasons. First, my spanish isn't very good and I just felt like I'd never really fit in even though people seemed very friendly. And second was the high humidity and intense tropical climate. It was just too much for me and it's like that all year long. However, if someone spoke spanish reasonably well and didn't mind the climate I believe that Panama would be the top retirement place in the world and I've spent alot of time studying various places. Also, if you buy a new place there's an exemption from property taxes for twenty years. If you buy a place that's five years old, you still get the next fifteen years with no taxes and you don't pay any income tax whatsoever to Panama. It's well worth considering.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:44 AM

272 posts, read 1,373,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
We lived in the Bahamas for three years in the early 1980s. Heat, humidity and bugs; heat, humidity and bugs; heat, humidity and bugs; etc. etc. etc.

I'd imagine Latin America would be those three things on steroids. No thanx.
I admit I had to chuckle a bit over that statement. Latin America covers a huge area with a broad variety of climates and geography, so to make such an assumption from 3 years in the Bahamas is a real stretch. It's a bit like going to New York and thinking you've seen the United States.

I remember many years ago on a trip to Tennessee how people were fascinated by the fact that I was from California. They imagined California to be one long beach full of surfers and girls in bikinis, with Hollywood thrown in for good measure; in their minds the state ended in the vague general area of San Francisco, and L.A. was the capital. No amount of explaining that I lived in the mountains of Northern California, where it snowed in the winter and there wasn't a beach in sight could dispell that image they had and I finally gave up trying. lol

Imagination is a great thing, but facts are better when you're thinking of moving to a new country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or