U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 AM

34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking people who choose to live in 55+ communities are a certain personality type so the responses you get may not get the perspective of the over 55 population in general. For example, they might say "Yeah, it's friendlier, that's why we chose it." But people who are over 55 and deliberately didn't move to one might say, "If you don't want to live with anyone under 55, how friendly could it be?" It's not a good or bad judgment on 55+ communities, just a question methodology observation.

Maybe tell people your definition of friendly and ask about that aspect. Is "friendly" planned social activities or people hanging out in each others houses? Is it people who wave when they drive by or is it people who knock on your door with cake? That kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:13 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,836,225 times
The 55+ communities that we've visited seem to be MUCH friendlier than your average community. Be prepared to wave to everyone who passes by, and to have people stop to say hello if they see you out in your yard. Complete strangers may stop to tell you how much they like your bird bath, for example.

These communities have a lot of planned activities, and social life seems to revolve around them. If you like the idea of going to exercise classes, or art classes, or joining a lawn bowling team or a community chorus you will thrive here. Pancake breakfasts and holiday parties seem to be common occurences. Neighbors seem to get together for card parties, to watch movies, etc.

Yes, you do have a relatively high number of neighbors who die. On the positive side, as you develop the various problems of old age, you will have plenty of friends who have been there and can give you good advice (or even loan you a festive walker all decorated for Christmas so you can be the hit of the family party. I kid you not, this happened to my mom.)

I don't know if all communities are like this, you should visit a place to find out about it's personality. The community I'm most familiar with is Hot Springs Village in AR. I've posted quite a bit about the social activities and friendliness of neighbors in this community--search the archives if you'd like more details.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But people who are over 55 and deliberately didn't move to one might say, "If you don't want to live with anyone under 55, how friendly could it be?"
For many people, the idea of restricting a community has nothing to do with friendliness. It has to do with wanting to garden, and not having your flowers crushed by boys playing footballs or kids on bikes.

It has to do with wanting to sleep and not being kept up all night by teenagers throwing a party and blasting the music. It has to do with wanting to sit on your deck and entertain your friends without having to put up with bored teenagers hanging out in the street, sitting on their cars and getting their jollies out of trying to offend the old folks.

It has to do with being able to go to the gym and actually use the equipment, instead of having it dominated by self centered kids who never pay attention to time restrictions. It has to do with using the pool and not being splashed or knocked over by running, screaming kids.

It has to do with enjoying an afternoon NOT having to listen to fighting and bickering.

And so on and so forth. Is this unfriendly? I think you all know that I am a very friendly person. But I'm tired now, I need a break. I have raised my kids and spent 30 years putting kids first, always putting myself last. I deserve a place where I can enjoy being an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe tell people your definition of friendly and ask about that aspect. Is "friendly" planned social activities or people hanging out in each others houses? Is it people who wave when they drive by or is it people who knock on your door with cake? That kind of thing.
Social activities? Yes.
Hangin out in each other's houses? Yes.
Waving when people drive by? Yes.
Knocking on the door with a cake? Nooooooooo. That's a rude thing to do with senior citizens, who may have problems getting up. Door to door salesmen and Jehovah's witness become a nuisance--they seem to epecially attracted to seniors, so many seniors just ignore someone knocking on the door. Always call first!!!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,527,559 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was kind of wondering about 55+ condos. Since I have never lived in an apartment or condo I was wondering how there were. Is it noisey? Do people usually get alone?

This is what I am looking for also. I'll be retiring in June & I wanted to move soon after that. NOT, though to Florida. More likely Portland or somewhere in the West. Does anyone know of any affordable (under 350k) places that are pretty and have nice people?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM

3,753 posts, read 9,611,799 times
Opinion from a soon to be 55er. I would love to be in a 55 community of patio homes with one story and with sunrooms. We have a load of these reasonably priced units here in Indiana. Plus we have quite a few condo developments that are almost all over 55 by choice and not rules.

I want no lawn maintenance and do not mind being around others. In fact, I feel safer with neighbors who are home.

We have a new Del Webb community but I can get the same community for thousands less by joining our great senior citizens center and being active. No need for a fancy community building that has to be paid for and maintained. Also, to get the land, they are out in the middle of nowhere and it is quite a drive to anything we are interested in. Too bad.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:24 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,578,526 times
I don't know whether they are friendlier or not, but I have a friend who is dating a man who lives in a 55+ community. They are now engaged to be married. When he would take her to the dances at their clubhouse, my friend told me that a lot of the ladies seemed really nosy and kind of b-!tchy - "do you live here", "where did he meet you", "where did you come from", "you aren't 55", etc. As if she was stealing one of the available men from them. Oh, and also, the place is called Sun City but everyone refers to it as Sin City.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
A question for people nearing retirement age and stating certain places had "unfriendly people"-------When you were younger and had children at home in school and the demands of a job ( 2 jobs counting your spouses) I imagine you were kept quite busy and at times felt there weren't enough hours in a day.
How "friendly" were --YOU-- if a retired,older couple moved in down the block? My guess is you were polite, but too darned busy with your hectic schedule to have time to really get to know them and visit often.

Sometimes, we in retirement, desire --from others --things we did not give when we were younger.

Sometimes------"what goes around comes around"

Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 PM

425 posts, read 983,759 times
Default Meryy Christmas

Like reading all these posts,I am in my late 40's DH is 55, we are flying down to florida in 3 weeks to look around at 55 parks, as DH's aunt and uncle call them Gods waiting room
we have researched extensively and are going down to get an idea , of what we want and tour a couple of parks.
we would like a resident owned park, that way they cant sell it out from under you.
has anyone heard of La Casa in NorthPort, Fl.?
and does anyone live in this community? would love to find out from a person who knows this community and what its like.
my best wishes for everyone and have wonderful Holidays

Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 AM

34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
For many people, the idea of restricting a community has nothing to do with friendliness. It has to do with wanting to garden, and not having your flowers crushed by boys playing footballs or kids on bikes.

It has to do with wanting to sleep and not being kept up all night by teenagers throwing a party and blasting the music. It has to do with wanting to sit on your deck and entertain your friends without having to put up with bored teenagers hanging out in the street, sitting on their cars and getting their jollies out of trying to offend the old folks.

It has to do with being able to go to the gym and actually use the equipment, instead of having it dominated by self centered kids who never pay attention to time restrictions. It has to do with using the pool and not being splashed or knocked over by running, screaming kids.
I hear you but some people might think that sounds crochety. I live in a mixed apartment complex. I'd say it's about 65/35 with 65 percent being people who are still in the workforce, many with families. It only gets noisy in the summer (no school - kids outside later) and that's when I think it might be nice to live in a 55+ complex but then I think of Seinfeld's TV parents. (See, TV does impact how people view retirees. )

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM

Well, if that's how you define crotchety, then I am delighted to be an old crotch! It's just another way of saying I'm not a doormat, that I have a right to live in a place where I enjoy my life and my property.

Let's hear it for the cotchety. It's sorta of a catchy word, you know. And it makes me chuckle, because I heard two different kids use it today (on someone else, not me doggone it). You know what I noticed? In both incidences I was cheering for the senior citizen. Those kids practically ran down an old guy just trying to have a nice walk with his dog. They shoved him, and threw a stick at the dog. Hahaha that must have been sooooo funny.

Sorry if I seem angry, but I've had it with ill-mannered kids and self-centered young people who think the world should revolve around them.

How dare I want to live in a place where I can go to the gym that I pay for and actually want to use the equipment!

Why, don't I know that bored teenagers have the right to go to the gym in their neighborhood AND the gym in my neighborhood and stay on the stairmaster for hours at a time? And if I dare complain... or simply move to my own community where I can actually use the gym--why then, I must be crochety!

And how dare I want to enjoy the property I worked hard for all my life? Dontcha know that I bought my land, and tilled the soil and planted the seeds and tended the seedlings and protected them from insects and watered them daily.... just so that little kids can thoughtlesly ride their bike over them. Why, how crotchety of me to want to live someplace where the things I create aren't destroyed.

It's a funny thing about people who try to control your behavior by saying "you sound a little (insert insult here)." The nice thing about getting older is that I learned a long time ago not to be manipulated by someone calling me a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or