U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 AM

7,037 posts, read 7,000,939 times

Advertisements

We live in a small 55+ and it is very quiet. If we are out front, people driving by will wave and some stop to chat, as do walkers. This community was built 2001-2003 and most people are 65-75 with some younger and a few in their 80's and a couple in their 90's. It seems like the older ones are gradually moving to assisted living or nursing homes. The newer residents seem to be the younger ones. People in general are friendly and helpful and it is pleasant here. There are a number of activities, but not like in the much larger communities. But it's enough for us, as we are not interested in being busy 24-7.

This community is not far from where we lived previously, so we rode through it many times at all times of the day and evening, so we knew what the area was like. Plus we knew some residents here so we got a feel for it before we purchased a home here. If possible, I highly recommend that anyone moving to a 55 plus visit as much as possible before they buy, even if they have to rent one of the houses/condo's the community offers for such a situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM

5,794 posts, read 4,848,703 times
Our community is not technically 55+, but is populated by about 80-90% retirees. It is by far the friendliest place I have ever lived. When we moved to our first house (a rental) the wonderful next door neighbors threw a party to introduce us to all the neighbors. Then when we moved to the home we bought the neighbors on that street threw us another party to meet those neighbors! We also have a club called New Villagers just for people who have been here less than 2 years so they can meet others and feel a part of the community and find events to participate in. It's a great place to live, we know the names of everyone on our street, and engage in social activities with them from time to time.

My in-laws lived in a Palm Desert 55+ and they loved the neighborhood. They had so many friends there. I think that the community social events allow people to meet and form friendships in a way that other communities don't.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,838,565 times
I totally agree! I think it has something to do with people from all over moving there and just wanting to meet new people. We just moved here to DE in April and have found that everybody who drives/walks/bicycles past waves and yells hello. Three days before our closing we brought our daughter over to see the house...at least the outside. While standing there the neighbors came over and welcomed us and told us that when the moving truck left they would bring over supper. Well we weren't getting the truck for 2 weeks so we figured they would forget. Not so! About 15 minutes after the truck left they came over with a HUGE dinner of pot roast and all the sides. Then a couple days later another neighbor brought a salad and sandwich fixings for lunch. When my DH is out of town for work, they all watch out for me by calling, stopping by, and in general making sure I am OK. The one husband takes his dog out for a walk later in the evening and even checks around the house and checks for lights on and off.

And we have made so many friends here. DH has found guys with his interests and I have found gals with mine. Just today one of my friends took me out for a birthday lunch. It was later because I already had plans on my day, but she insisted that I deserved another celebration.

I think a big difference between here and where we were before was that there people would say "if you need something let us know", but here they just do it. I'm not one to ask for help, especially meals, etc., so of course I would never ask. I would make do with what I can do on my own. Here they jump right in a do whatever they can. I am so happy we made the move.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Our community is not technically 55+, but is populated by about 80-90% retirees.
I am considering a couple of places like that. You are taking the chance that a family with noisy teens will move in next door, but as others have mentioned a lot of the senior only communities have aged so that most residents are 70+ and sedentary. Not where I would like to start my retirement.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 AM

9,587 posts, read 10,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am considering a couple of places like that. You are taking the chance that a family with noisy teens will move in next door, but as others have mentioned a lot of the senior only communities have aged so that most residents are 70+ and sedentary. Not where I would like to start my retirement.
That's why smart people have adequate land.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:55 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've lost a little of my hearing; I'll be fine. I wanted more land when I was younger. Now I still want a stand alone dwelling with a little bit of yard but I want others around. The trick is finding a place with others that can stand me and that I will enjoy spending time with.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:49 AM

5,794 posts, read 4,848,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Not all smart people want acreage. We sold our acreage when we moved here because the level of maintenance required was exhausting and the fire danger was just too high.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM

9,587 posts, read 10,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I've lost a little of my hearing; I'll be fine. I wanted more land when I was younger. Now I still want a stand alone dwelling with a little bit of yard but I want others around. The trick is finding a place with others that can stand me and that I will enjoy spending time with.
My next door neighbors are about a half mile. We both have telephones and cars. They're great people.

I can't see why it would be better if they lived on top of me. However, different people have different tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or