U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 AM

786 posts, read 4,318,782 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed about many of the threads on this board is complaints about how unfriendly their neighbors are. I suspect this is true all over the country in towns big and small. It may just be a part of a changing America and people without time to be friendly due to long commutes and demanding careers and children.

When I reach 55, I hope to retire to one of those 55 plus communities on a Golf Course. I dream that in a town like this people are friendly to their neighbors and much more relaxed. I would guess because they are no longer working full time they would be more open to making new friends, or at least being friendly.

Are 55+ communities actually more friendly as a rule, or is a friendly neighborhood just a dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
I suppose you could find some, I have heard pros and cons on them, like anything. I have known several people that moved to them in Florida in the past 10 years, I can't say any of them remained there. I went to visit several times, had thought of it myself when I started to get closer to when I would retire. I was put off by the large amount of homes that were for sale. I mean this was well before the huricannes made such an effect on living there. I think some could be happy and some may find them too old, I don't really know, I don't think I would want to live in one for myself, but it is a personal preference. Should you decide on it, I would try to get as much information out of people that live in them as to how they enjoy their life living there. I do know one of the complaints I did hear was even though there was a ton of planned activities to do there. The main passtime was gossip

Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times
I was kind of wondering about 55+ condos. Since I have never lived in an apartment or condo I was wondering how there were. Is it noisey? Do people usually get along?

Buying a condo would save on doing yard work but I might miss being outside. It's just something I was considering for the future.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Default Plus 55 Condo's

My parents and in-laws both live in +55 condos, one in Florida and the other in Pennsylvania. They have both lived there for extended periods of time.

The advantages are low maintenance requirements, social activities and having more in common with your neighbors. Time availability is very good, so friendships are easier to form.

Disadvantages are that you get to irritate each other more easily because older folks seem to be more willing to express their opinions about nearly everything, neighbors passing away at a high frequency, lots of turnover of units, and dealing with offspring who seem to think the condo is also an assisted care facility (negating the offspring of any care responsibilities). Voting for/against condo upgrades and repairs also becomes an interesting way the residents find to entertain themselves. Discussions of "special assessments" is a major entertainment venue.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 AM

16 posts, read 64,708 times
Default 55+ communities

My husband and I have found a mobile home community in San Clemente,Calif.
that is a resident owned park. We have lived here for almost 4 years and know almost all the residents in the park. We have block parties on July 4 and two weeks before Christmas to turn on Christmas lights. Tuesday nights, sometimes as many as 30 of us go to the same restaurant for an inexpensive dinner and, in the summertime, we meet after the dinner in front of one of the houses to continue our fellowship. Many of the ladies go out to lunch one day a month to celebrate all the birthdays for that month. We have an inexpensive pancake breakfast the last Sunday of the month that is put on by residents who volunteer their time. We also try to have some kind of monthly dinner and festivity in our clubhouse. We have so many other activities that it's almost impossible to be unfriendly. And San Clemente is one of the best places to live in the U.S. Moderator cut: website

MarJ

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-05-2007 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: advertising.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM

633 posts, read 801,496 times
Smile 55+ comm. friendly?

I agree with the posts that mention these communities are subject to the approval of the individual observer. Needs and personality IMO play major roles.
My knowledge of the subject tells me the happier more contented residents are ones that take advantage the the huge multitude of activities including golf. Having a lot of fun is common place. Friendly, count on it.

Appreciation is large also. Many residents completed difficult careers in difficult places to live, with difficult people and circumstances. Many of these communities are very well kept and there are items in place to keep them the same. Not always the case elsewhere--where many neighborhoods make turnarounds AFTER you have spent your money and moved in! In 55+ trashing and allowing your property to go downhill is not allowed, TG. Disorderly conduct is not tolerated, again TG.

The rugged rights harpers--you know, the ones with the unique constitutions that tell them their rights are violated if they can't get away with "If i want to or if it feels good I will do it"---may not find much to like!

We don't hear the bong bong of basketballs reverberating in the driveways or the bong of music? shaking your windows. Dogs don't do their business on the neighbors yard and the lawns are taken care of by others--not the residents.

Oh yes the horrible gossip---less than in a lot of anything goes communities--less mean spirited and a lot more intelligent--you can learn a lot from some of it!
Each to his/her own. I do think these communities will increase in popularity and value.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,791,559 times
I live in a 55+ community is the suburbs of Phoenix and without a doubt it is far friendlier than a regular neighborhood. When I first moved here I immediately noticed that people would wave to me as I drove by and I didn't even know them. I think alot of the activities that they have also tends to bring people together and it generates more of a community feeling. So in my community at least, the answer is clearly yes.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
There are several age restricted developments in AZ that we would love to wander over to as soon as our 18 year old is in college. Trillogy by Shea Homes located in Vistancia is worth looking into.
The clubhouse/restaurant/gym/spa/salon, are quite the draw. There is a golf course that wanders through it and a little Grill that has fantastic food. It is located up in the foothills of the desert in Peoria, so you have some ambiance to the landscape. The homes are very reasonable and they have some great resale homes due to the investors buying up and now having to get rid of them. Another Trilogy community is down in Gillbert and it is called Power Ranch. This is another very nice spot to consider and the homes are very reasonable. Shea is just starting to develop a very, very high end Trilogy called Encantera and this will be down at the southern end around Queen Creek. Lots of choices out there.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,415,770 times
I lived in a communtiy in DE that was not age limited but was mostly seniors.
I liked living there most people were very friendly. Then I found that I could buy a really nice house in NC for about half the cost of DE so I moved. The house was beautiful and so was the neighborhood, however the locals stayed to themselves. I felt very isolated. I sold that house and some people that I worked with who were about to retire told me that most were going to SC. They suggested I go there to and I did. In the meantime, the retirement packages they were offered never materialized and they did not retire. So here I am in SC and once again by myself. I have lived in many places throughout my life but SC is the least friendly place I have ever been.
I have located two +55 communities, one in DE the other in PA, and as soon as my house here is sold that is where I am going.
I firmly believe that seniors would fair better in a +55 community.
Don

Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 22,414 times
Post I work in 55+ Manufactured Home Communities and RV Parks

I have been working in these communities for some time, and they seem like an excellent place to retire. I work in many that are in Florida, south of Ocala, and they vary in cost depending on location and amenities. The horror stories you hear about, with people buying homes and then the park being sold to a redeveloper are pretty easy to see coming. If you buy into an old run down single-wides community, and get the home for 5k, and if you look around you and the only thing you see are apartments or commercial buildings, then you may not be able to live there for the next 10 years. But the truth is there are many nice communities that it is very easy to tell that the land is only valuable because the MHC/RVP, not a higher and better use, my recommendation is to stay out of Pinellas County. Anyway to speak to the subject matter, I see many happy residents in these communities I know of some that have field trips and even cruises that the residents go on together, and they can have pot lucks, concerts and all sorts of fun stuff at the club house. Just make sure that it is a nice clean place not surrounded by a higher and better use, and then talk to some of the residents not looking to sell, and you will find out what the pros and cons of that park are. Overall it looks very affordable, you get to keep money in the bank because you don't spend the 50-80k a piece of land costs anymore, and then the homes are a third of a site built for the nice ones. Also the RV parks seem to have the most social residents, because that life style kind of demands it, and you can still get a nice park model ( a permanent RV dwelling) if you aren't looking to travel as much or are not a RVer.

Thats my 5 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or