Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like a whooping case of Boomer Envy is spreading in the Younguns. Maybe they can get a generation change procedure and become Boomers.

There is a degree of truth in their basic premise. Boomers because of numbers and being a population surge did create increased demand for goods and services thus driving prices up. That is a function of supply and demand not greed. We were in some ways a game changer because of numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Jeez, first we ruined America. Then we refuse to retire early, killing the job market for the younger folks. Now, we are bad parents. Fortunately, with the coming Healthcare "improvements", we can be judged worthless and they can kill us off early.

I guess I'll just wait here to be euthanized so I can save America. In the interim let me alone so I can enjoy a cup of coffee because it's a beautiful Saturday morning.
You forgot that us retiring ruins the younguns too. You should retire so we can have your jobs. You shouldn't retire so we don't have to pay into medicare and SS.

I too was taught by my depression-era parents to save and be sure I can afford anything I get or do without it. Make sure I have a savings cushion because you never know what may happen. I also paid my own way all the way thru college at a perfectly good state school and had a tiny debt of $300 and some savings when I graduated.

The boomers encompass an awful lot of people that cannot be lumped into a single category of behavior. The reality is that even in the 60's the protesters were a small percentage of the boomers. Most were not and just worked at school or went into the military.

What I don't get is how the current crop of young kids seem to think they are entitled to $100 - 200k private colleges and it is just unthinkable to go to a state school. Their parents are supposed to never retire and pay for the very expensive schools by going into huge debt. Most of these parents went to state colleges and did very well with that education. Talk about an entitlement and spendthrift attitude!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a Boomer - and I was taught by my depression-era parents to save, save, save. Not buy, buy, buy.

Thank you, Mom and Dad
There are many more boomers with this life outlook than not so what with this junk "Did the Baby Boomers ruin America (for everyone else?)"

Such trash talk whining I never heard the like of.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,039 times
Both Gen X and Boomers have shat on Gen Jones.

Generation Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
There are many more boomers with this life outlook than not so what with this junk "Did the Baby Boomers ruin America (for everyone else?)"

Such trash talk whining I never heard the like of.

Oh, ok...

Where's my social security check? Did somebody already spend it???

Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Technically, I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and I can pretty much say they are the Generation of Locusts. Baby Boomers were pretty much pure id, emerging from the womb saying, "I want."

Don't believe me? Just look at the wreckage they've left behind as they've moved through history, from the wreckage of public education to the dumbing down of culture, particularly in our universities. From wild expansion of the Federal government to fulfill their youthful idealistic whims through the imminent collapse of Social Security and Medicare bubble. And, of course, if you talk to a bunch of Baby Boomers, they'll get all nostalgic about the 60s as if it was some magnificent, epoch-shattering improvement to civilization. With the shining exception of the Civil Rights Era, the true point of the 60s was to prolong one's adolescence as long as possible.

When the last of the Baby Boomers are lowered into the grave, this country will probably let forth a collective sigh of relief for all the misery they have caused this country.
Wow! Perfect example of sour grapes!
Missed the 60s; got stuck with the late 70's and 80's...booorring!
Hey, did you ask to be born? No? Well, neither did anyone else. Maybe you should be blaming the 'greatest generation' (our parents) for wanting big families and suburban tract houses and a TV in every room...

And, yes, the 60s WERE magnificent!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,668 times
Ruining America is a process, and yes, the boomers holding sway in Washington right now are accelerating the damage that will be very difficult to recover from but I have hope. In general we are all responsible for our part in shaping the character and future of America. Don't look for someone to blame for things going awry as an excuse for doing nothing more than sitting on your hands and whining.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a Boomer - and I was taught by my depression-era parents to save, save, save. Not buy, buy, buy.

Thank you, Mom and Dad
Same here.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Why are you worried about the ability to retire before you've even started out?

Sure, our generation was a bubble in itself affecting everything from elementary schools to SS. That mere fact on its own was enough to skew things. You won't be competing with us as much as we were competing with each other and that wasn't so bad.

You think it was easy for us to start out, or any other generation for that matter? Most everybody starts at the bottom and works their way up through persistence and hard work. We were no exception and you won't be either. I am incredulous when I see kids starting out who want their first house to be brand new and perfectly customized. My first place had the bathtub next to the kitchen sink and it's cover served as the only counter space, the tiolet was in the community hallway. And yes, I grew up in a mansion so it was quite a shock, but I made it on my own.

If you can't find a job, create one. That's what I did. Don't waste your time on complaining, you sound like an old fogey already. Think for yourself. Don't take a 30 yr mortgage because you may get a tax break when you can pay one off in 15-20 yrs for just a little more a month and know you're secure.

Run for office if you want. The govt often has to do unpleasant things in reaction to certain facts it must deal with. Things are always changing. We need good people to steer the boat, people with foresight and experience - so go out and get some.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 09-12-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Oh, ok...

Where's my social security check? Did somebody already spend it???
Wellllllll Ok. Did you file for your Social Security yet?

Oh yes, don't give me that crap that there will be none for the younger generation that is so commonly heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement