Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times

Advertisements

Well, it's OK if it suits him. Living in that cave where it is located is probably in his favor. When the "big one" comes (however that may manifest itself) he will probably survive.
One of the reasons I drive a truck is that almost 30 years ago I realized that you can live in your car, but you can't drive your house. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM

175 posts, read 468,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Well, it's OK if it suits him. Living in that cave where it is located is probably in his favor. When the "big one" comes (however that may manifest itself) he will probably survive.
One of the reasons I drive a truck is that almost 30 years ago I realized that you can live in your car, but you can't drive your house. LOL
Alot of retirees are having to live in their cars!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
It's pretty misleading to say or think, that Daniel Suelo lives in a cave. He stays in the cave sometimes, but mostly he travels, meets old and new friends, relatives, etc.
For those who are seriously interested, I recommend to go through his FAQ: All FAQ's on 1 page for print-out (Living Without Money)

but especially read his blog: Moneyless World - Free World - Priceless World You'll get very close idea what is his life about.
Very enjoyable and fulfilling reading.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
He does not answer the question of personal hygiene but it is apparent that he uses some sort of internet (libraries?) and he interfaces with other people on a regular basis. From that, it is probable that he bathes regularly or he would not be able to have the social interaction that is apparent from his site.

He also does not answer the question of why he travels so much. Is it just because he likes to travel or does he have a purpose to it? It certainly does not appear that he is one of those poor souls who drink, stink, and babel incessantly to themselves that you see sometimes.

I agree it is an interesting read. A very different life than I want to have, but interesting nonetheless.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Yeah, you're right Tesaje, he does not address the hygiene matter. That would be something to ask him about on his blog, where he shows up about once a month to write about what happened meantime, and communicate briefly with his readers.
As for his travel, I would guess, he travels because staying at one place would get probably boring for him.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I had a boyfriend who lived in a tricked-out Ford van. Had everything but running water. He did, however, make sure to always have a girlfriend in town where he could shower, etc.
He did it to have a place to play the saxophone many hours a day. Hey, California, 1979. Always wondered what became of him.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I read the last entry in his BLOG. He lives on the largess of others - a moocher. Notice how many rides he gets from othersm, mostly strangers. He stays with basically strangers or friends). If he becomes injured or ill, we will foot the bill, believe me. At some point, he will become old and infirm and we taxpayers will foot the bill for his care. I find nothing admirable about mooching off others. We human beings are supposed to work and provide for ourselves and help others. Don't tell me that standing out in a thunderstorm hitching a ride in the middle of nowhere is a good life. Maybe the feeling of freedom feels great to him - but he really isn't "free." He depends on others who do work to get him where he wants to go.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
The word freeloader comes to mind,,, it should have read COULD YOU HAVE RETIRED WITHOUT MONEY? sure you could, just make sure others have money, keep working we depend on you!

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-23-2009 at 03:33 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The word freeloader comes to mind,,, it should have read COULD YOU HAVE RETIRED WITHOUT MONEY? sure you could, just make sure others have money, keep working we depend on you!
More like a scavenger. He seems to be taking that which is thrown away by others, mostly. Since he doesn't beg or ask for what he uses, it isn't exactly like a freeloader or moocher. Hitchhiking is a way of getting around that's been in use for as long as there have been cars. I would pick up hitchhikers if there weren't a criminal element out there that makes it too risky to do so.

If everyone were more careful of using only what we need and not throw away tons of perfectly good stuff, would he be able to survive like that? Probably not. He seems to be at risk of someday getting into some serious health issue but could just as well end up dying from it as becoming a taxpayer burden. He says he is fully aware of this and is fine with dying earlier because of his choices. Someone will have to deal with his remains. But that happens to some people anyway.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If everyone were more careful of using only what we need and not throw away tons of perfectly good stuff, would he be able to survive like that? Probably not.
It would take a major war or some kind of disaster to expect people using only what they need...
Meantime, Suelo is going to have abundance of everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement