Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

It's funny, I've lived here a week and can already tell the tourists from the locals. I don't know so much about car dependence here, it seems everyone either walks or rides a bicycle. All the traffic seems to be going to Telluride or Ouray. There's a grocery store, a doctors office, every restaurant I could possibly want to eat at, two liquor stores, nice people and NO crime or traffic. At night it gets very very quiet, spooky quiet. That is taking some getting used to. I haven't heard a siren in weeks, no BOOM BOOM music blaring from cars, no insane barking dogs all night.

Driving back and forth to Montrose is a beautiful drive and one I don't mind taking. And I'm renting, never had any plans to buy a house EVER again. After a year I can pack up and leave.

And being retired if I don't want to go anyplace I don't. I've been spending more time just walking around town than anything else. Yall can have the big city, I've found home.

The other morning I'm on my patio having coffee watching this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
What a beautiful view you have.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Very peaceful and serene, I could get used to that fast ;-)

Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
It sounds wonderful. I was looking at the Ridgway paper (I still get it, after all these years of not moving there, but visiting) and there were more rentals than in the past, and lower prices.
A year or more of retirement there, that IS the ticket.
I think a lot of people have to drive for work, along the highway or Montrose or somewhere. There are a fair number of houses where you must drive to get to the town itself. (I bought and sold property twice up in Elk Meadows on a daydream- what a wonderful area for relatively less expense, but a drive for anything at all).
I think I'll try retirement, that is NOT WORKING where I am before I consider moving anywhere else. I sure would love to not work, even as I am grateful for a steady job in the current environment.
I hope the OP checks out Cimarron Books and maybe the Second Chance Humane Society.
Showing my outsider origins... I love Solar Ranch.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Then you are where you should be. Good for you. Such a beautiful spot you found. I have considered Colorado also, but all my family lives in New England. Yes having family somewhere within range is important and a big plus. I could never afford New England to retire to, so I have been looking to the southern states as a substitute. At least I would be alot closer, and could drive up for visits rather than the distance I now live Oregon. Im finding I may not be able to live in the Southern states for a number of reasons. All the decisions. Im glad your comfortable with your decison to retire in Colorado.

Have you considered the Lakes Region of NH? The cost of living there is among the lowest in New England. The property taxes are more reasonable and heating costs are mitigated by using many alternate heat sources. Also, I-93 cuts through the western end of the area so commuting to other towns is easy. Local healthcare amenities are also very good.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Got my Colorado drivers license today. The people in the DMV office were actually friendly. Then drove to the county courthouse for my car tags. Again, painless, clerks very nice and friendly. A pleasant painless experience. This was my drive to the courthouse.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
I send my condolences - that must be hard to take!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Sunny mild days, great driving weather. I might have to get a Jeep by winter though!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Having grown-up in Colorado, I am well aware of the beauty, but wanted something a bit warmer and more tropical. We retired to an oceanfront condo on the beach in Florida --(actually, we've now been in Florida for 30+ years) ... and are still loving it. -(By the way, the hurricane 'threat', at least along the East Coast (Melbourne), is 85% media hype, 10% tropical storms and 5% real -- We've been on the barrier island (Satellite Beach just south of KSC) for 27 years, and except for 2004 (no significant damage), have never had a direct hurricane hit).
Attached Thumbnails
Where I retired to-aug-rainbow-over-beach-living-room.jpg   Where I retired to-south-view-balcony.jpg   Where I retired to-june-sunrise-large-master-bedroom.jpg  

Last edited by jghorton; 12-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Insert Photos

Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 110,510 times
How right u are!
Fl is a great place to retire. Colorado is beautiful and when my budget allows I go there to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement