U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM

13,346 posts, read 25,601,842 times

Advertisements

I spent one night there at the end of my driving trip in July- needed to stay somewhere near Denver the night before my flight, and was curious to see WindCrest. When I called to ask for a lodging suggestion, they told me I could stay for $100 in a guest apartment that had just been created.

It was hard to tell how busy the area was, because I had just come from two weeks in very isolated country, and anything would have seemed busy!

WindCrest was easily accessible from I-470, which is an easy run to the airport, if desired. The whole thiing is quite new, so had that "not finished" feeling of no landscaping, etc.

There was a gatehouse with a keeper at the entrance. I had to sign in and get a "pass" as a visitor. This seemed like a good security measure for residents. There was a main lobby with a dispatcher/receptionist who called a security guy to drive me to the guest apartment. The apartment was furnished generically nicely. It was a lovely little one-bedroom, handicap accessible bathroom, in-unit w/d. The kitchen had a lovely sliding glass door to a little patio and a view of the sunset over the mountains from the kitchen and dining/desk area.
I had a nice long talk with the public marketing gal. The financing seemed very good for such a setting, the entering fee being some $50K less than it would be for the same sized units in the Massachusetts communities (where I live now between Linden Ponds, South Shore, and Brooksby Village, North Shore).
'
I did only see a fair number of relatively old older people, walkers, etc., (although a fair number were working out in the weight room!) The woman told me that some of the younger residents were off doing whatever they do, in the city, for the summer, visiting, and working. She said they view the place more as a condo (sometimes a second home) and therefore weren't around to talk to. This made sense, although at 56, I still felt like it was, kinda an old people place...

I liked the location, convenient to a metro stop and Denver. I couldn't tell if it felt really suburban-developed because that's what it is, or because I had spent so much time in isolation in the past few weeks.
Didn't get a chance to try the food, but the menus looked good, and the few residents I spoke to were very happy with it.

I chatted with one very elegant lady of 86 from New York City who was very, well, New Yorky! and said she doesn't "think much of Denver, except for the cultural things." (Well, that's all that really interests me in a city, so I'm OK.") She said she was very happy with everything there, and the one time she had a complaint about anything, it was immediately fixed. I jokingly suggested that maybe she was easy to please, and she informed me in certain terms that she is most certainly difficult to please!
It looked like a great place to be old-older, that is, if I had reason/need to stop living in a single home, being car-dependent (I figure car dependence is one thing that will get me when I'm older. I already pay people to do most house things that older people don't like to do, or can't, like lawn, maintenance, and 'blush' I just hired a cleaning service. If I could afford a cook, I'd have one!
I guess what I really like is the idea of security, no car dependence, restaurant meals and an indoor pool.
Oh, and I saw people walking their dogs. Not all were little apartment dogs, either. The woman told me WindCrest is very pet friendly.

Anyway, I continue to think of Erickson as a "in case of fire, break glass" option, should I live to an age where living in my single home doesn't continue to work. I am less interested in all the activities and so on, as I am not a real social person in my current life, but I gather a lot of people do enjoy the socializaton and activities available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM

70 posts, read 237,387 times
Thanks for the info, Brightdoglover! I used to live right across the street from Charlestown, the 1st Erikson community, in MD. I got their brochure and was surprised to see that I could afford to live there, if needed, like you, somewhere down the line! I visited there, had lunch with a friend of my parents. I have no spouse or children so this place sounds like a possibility.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM

52 posts, read 144,141 times
Default Cost?

Can you give us an idea of the costs involved?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 PM

13,346 posts, read 25,601,842 times
The costs depend on the size of apartment and level of services. For a nice-sized one-bedroom, I think the entrance fee (at Windcrest) is about $142K, fully refundable if you leave or, uh, leave (to your estate). The monthly basic fee for that apartment in today's dollars is about $1800, I think, which includes all services, one restaurant meal a day, housekeeping, transport, facilities.
Erickson has a Medicare Advantage health service on site. I think it works like any Medicare HMO, or you can use other existing insurance. It sounds very thorough and a good thing.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 AM

70 posts, read 237,387 times
It depends on what part of the country the community is located. The entrance fee for the one in suburban Baltimore, MD is $160,000 for a one bedroom and $1700 per month. From what I understand, once you're in, even if you run out of money, you're taken care of for life-assisted living and nursing home. That's why you do need to have some money in savings. If you send for their brochure all the costs are listed. They are begging for residents now. They even have a service to help you sell your house.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM

52 posts, read 144,141 times
Default Costs

Thank you both, Brightdoglover and Bluecrab. I appreciate the info.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,938,661 times
Thanks for the report. I've been searching through this forum for reports like this, because I'm at a point where I can't do too many more discovery trips. Yet I still want to read other peoples' tours. I enjoy reading about the Denver area (yes yes too far from a beach but I have fond memories of Denver and like reading about it). Also, very interested in Erickson properties in general. So I guess that means I appreciate this thread double strength.

Maybe one of these days I'll collect all the different "tours" in this forum and create a master list for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement