U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,671,040 times

Advertisements

What is the thought about using annuities for funding retirement rather than a stock/bonds portfolio?

Annuities, to me, seem safe rather than risky. In retirement should we be more concerned with keeping what we've earned or in risking loss by wanting to increase what we've earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
Depends what type? univeral variable nooooooooo not a good deal, to high in fees , charges and commissions..

i am a fan of immeadiate annuities and think those can playout very well for alot of people who are needing more to live on guaranteed then they can generate guaranteed on their own . key word being "guaranteed"

Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM

11,245 posts, read 11,265,004 times
My philosophy has always been if an insurance company is pushing it, then it can't possibly be advantageous for you, only for the ins. co. At best, it can be adequate.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM

for what the immeadiate annuity does it can be worth it depending on circumstances . and those circumstances have nothing to do with fees .. these arent your typical ripoff products they offer. insurance companies do offer products that are decent . the problem is you need to research them on your own as they arent promoted or sold by the salesman because they lack those nice commissions their other products do...

some of these products are immeadiate annuities as well as gic contracts which are basically cd's you can buy from insurance companies that offer higher rates , more options as far as locking rates and tax deferement on the interest as well as payout options.

all expenses are built right into the cd rate....if you like the rate then thats your deal just like a bank does it....

one of the reasons individuals do poorly with their money is alot of times instead of doing their own home work they listen to bits and pieces of things they hear or read from other ill-informed people, and they draw a conclusion to things that is absoluetly wrong.

i bet most folks have no idea of the various types of annuities that are out there, in fact i bet they dont even know how they work but yet they will run with the word annuity and without a clue as to what type or how it works they will just have an opinion that oh thats bad.... everyone needs to stop believing their own bull and do some research for themselves before having an opinion about things. at least then you can make an informed decision about something

and nooooooo im not an anuity salesman.... i just keep an open mind to things and evaluate things myself as to why they are good or bad...

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-18-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
and nooooooo im not an anuity salesman.... i just keep an open mind to things and evaluate things myself as to why they are good or bad...
That is to your credit, mathjak!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM

And thank you!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM

And thank YOU for the rep point! And here's one for you!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM

169 posts, read 412,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What is the thought about using annuities for funding retirement rather than a stock/bonds portfolio?

Annuities, to me, seem safe rather than risky. In retirement should we be more concerned with keeping what we've earned or in risking loss by wanting to increase what we've earned.
Check this thread out when you get a chance..
Ever wonder why our treasuries still sell at almost no interest? ( 1 2)

Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
My philosophy has always been if an insurance company is pushing it, then it can't possibly be advantageous for you, only for the ins. co. At best, it can be adequate.
Fixed and Indexed annuities have no fees and are guaranteed to earn a return such as a CD but without the tax burden or the market risk.

I would never get into variable annuities.

If you trust your insurance company to insure your house (which you worked so hard for) and your car, and even your family (health insurance) why wouldn't you trust them with your finances?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Check this thread out when you get a chance..
Ever wonder why our treasuries still sell at almost no interest? ( 1 2)
Ok thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or