U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your connections to a retirement place
Lived there previously 0 0%
Have family in or near the area 2 10.53%
A favorite vacation spot 2 10.53%
Read about it in a magazine 1 5.26%
Saw or heard an advertisement 0 0%
Real estate agent told about it 0 0%
Other 15 78.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,137,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
It seems like many places in the USA are not really welcoming to all, I mean its a fair assumption, and something that people need to really consider when they make a decision on where to live. I see nothing politically incorrect in saying it. What I do find as not being policially correct to ourselves, is when we don't face that fact.
I think that each of us sees the world "from our own window", so to speak. By that, I mean that we each see things from our own, unique perspective. What might seem welcoming to one person, might not to another. I have lived in seven states (Hawaii, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Virginia, Missouri, and northern and southern California). I suppose California might have been the least welcoming, but I didn't necessarily feel unwelcome there. It just took more effort to establish close friendships there than it did in some other states. But you are so right in the sense that eventually one will find friends anywhere, after a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
As for me I say live where you need to based on the cost of living and the resources you need in life, such as the housing, the shopping and recreation, as well as good medical care in a place that the crime rate isn't sky high. If the resources you need are not being met, then there is no connection to the place even if you grew up there.
Very true. We did our search based on criteria such as those you state, and with our particular, prioritized set of criteria, a computer search resulted in Springfield popping up. When we visited, we knew it could be a great retirement location for us.

One thing we have discovered, though, is that no retirement location is perfect, special, and made exactly for us. We look for a balance of our desired characteristics for a place, and there are several that approach being exactly what we want and need even though they are very different. Exploring these locations, choosing one (probably Springfield), and living there will all be such an adventure.

Moving for retirement can be and probably should be an adventure, not a task. One should be going to somewhere, rather than escaping from somewhere (such as New Orleans, in my case).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Other

Tennessee

We took a two week driving trip in 1999 through Missouri, Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee. We found we really liked the NC and TN area.

We went back for two weeks last year, fell in love all over again, and bought land. We are still looking just in case we find something better.

You never know...

Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,715,491 times
My answer was other.
We chose alamogordo, New Mexico, and love it.
We knew because of health that we did not want humidity or anywhere there is molds or mildew(we had that along the Mississippi river in Illinois).
Drove around the southwest and had friends that retired here. Fell in love with the area with the Mountains 25 minutes away and you are 20 degrees cooler in the summer, and I can visit snow if I want in the winter. DH did not want a retirement community that was 55 or older only, he wanted youth around, and we have that with the Air Force Base here.
Lots to do and we have so many friends here that we have met since coming here.
Jane

Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,950,172 times
We are retiring to KY - we have good friends that retired there and have visited about 8 times (they love it there)....beautiful there with lower cost of living yet lots of services, friendly people and much less traffic and pollution. We also like the $41,100 tax break for people on pensions (like we will be next year when we retire). Good airport, our church is there, a nice choice of doctors and hospitals, centrally located (by car Chicago is 1/2 day away, New York is a day's drive, Atlanta is 5 1/2 hours away) so lots of places to visit for a few day's vacation. We can't wait - our only obstacle will be the real estate market here in So. California - we hope to be able to sell our house and right now the market is slow and prices are dropping.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 AM

9 posts, read 40,017 times
We bought our retirement home in Crestview, FL as well as a lot for our son to build on one day, hopefully. Our advice, buy a house before prices boom higher wherever you wish to retire - rent it out - and one day you can live in it or sell it and at least have the equity to build another.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:00 PM

823 posts, read 3,373,621 times
I also voted "Other". We mad our list of prerequisites that we wanted wherever we retired to. Number ! on our list was Prescott, AZ we visited there and really liked it but in the ensuing 2 1/2 years the cost of housing has zoomed up so Prescott fell to the bottom of the list. Since our first need is a place with low humidity but with some green we looked for high desert areas. I researched many places on line and currently the places of interest to us are Albuquerque, Reno/Sparks & Grants Pass, OR. Since we have four years before we would make the move there can be a lot of changes. We intended to spend about a month in whatever places make the final cut just to see if it is right for us.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,201,358 times
For us....We retired 2.5 years ago and moved to Texas from California to live on a lake. Texas is not for us. We miss the ocean, the weather and all the activities we did in Cali. We plan on moving back to California in the near future and continue our retirement there. (I can't wait!!!)

Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,102,251 times
You left out the option for "Who can afford to retire?"

Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,254,931 times
I retired from the military at age 41 with 22 years of service in a little town call Navarre about 15 miles from the USAF base that I assigned. This was the 1st time we visited the Northwest Florida Panhandle and we love it. Small town, friendly community, low cost of housing, excellent schools, and better yet I found a job that with my retirement I got to the 6 digit salary ( just luck). I can't complain about this. Our original choice was to retired in the Satellite Beach or Melbourne Florida. But the mighty one gave a better choice and I'm staying here....

a). Lived there previously
b). Have family in or near the area
c). A favorite vacation spot
d). Read about it in a magazine
e). Saw or heard an advertisement
f). Real estate agent told about it
g). Other (please explain) found a paradise in Florida

Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM

80 posts, read 435,818 times
Thumbs up Thank you

I wanted to thank everyone for participating in the poll and for adding their personal stories. I found the diversity in the responses to be fascinating and informative.

In fact I'm going to be writing a column on this topic now. If anyone would like to give me permission to include information on their experiences, please feel free to private message or e-mail me.

The poll is now closed, but please feel free to continue to add your stories here. I think this helps all who are reading to reflect on their own experiences and/or to make decisions in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or