U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 37,122 times

Advertisements

I used to camp with my ex husband. He had seasonal employment and we spent a long time each summer in a pop-up camper. While it was fun as a vacation, it would have gotten very old very quickly to have to weather storms continually in a tent. thunder storms were bad enough. I remember a hurricane one time with the camper roped on to trees which was very scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
What happens when you are too old to pitch the tent?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,706,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think if I wanted to REALLY downsize, consolidate and live minimally I'd opt for a mini-house.
What an interesting photo set!

For some reason whenever I see homes like in the bottom left picture I immediately appreciate how much more defensible it would be during a zombie apocalypse.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 943 times
I live in a tent full time. I'm 67, and I love it. Mine is a Kodiak Canvas 10x14. Just my dog and myself.

Heat? Most of the time, Its warm clothing or sleeping bag. I have a Mr Buddy heater for those colder times. Works great. I'm about 40 miles from the nearest town.

I'm a camp host of a very rural camp, full time all year 24-7-365. I receive a small stipend for volunteering. Going on second year. No small camp, 56 acres. During winter, very seldom have visitors.

I do it all, cut wood, split wood, clear road of fallen trees. This camp does have actual restrooms and showers. So that's not a problem. As camp caters to large groups there is also a walk-in refrefrigerator. In winter I bring in at least 3 months of supplies.

Lets, see, I made it past 28  and am in better shape than ever from all the heart healthy work.

In answer to camping a few days and feeling it? Your doing it wrong, especially if at Lake Tahoe, where you can get the right equipment. I lived in Tahoe for seven years, great place.

Keep living in that tent full time!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
What happens when you are too old to pitch the tent?
You ask somebody nice to give you a hand and you spring for the pizza and beer, or get out your guitar and lead a merry old singalong. Or take a friend along and make a day-long project out of it. Accept that everything takes longer as you age. There are many ways to set your sails. Unless you're at the assisted living stage, you can still have some serious fun!

You wouldn't believe where I've parked tents!

Mahrie.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM

1,045 posts, read 958,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think if I wanted to REALLY downsize, consolidate and live minimally I'd opt for a mini-house.
I, too, am a huge fan of the 'little houses' and would live in one IF I could hook it on a trailer, to the back of my pick-up truck and 'go on the road again' like I did in the 70s (only it was hitch-hiking and tents back then). I am now 50% titanium and the cold and any ground are a thing of my past...and future.
I see myself doing a co-housing 'thing' with another senior boomer or maybe a few. I would be open to it, for retirement. There are many co-housing websites. I have not checked into it yet, but I do think about it. I have seen that I tend to 'self isolate' when I am living alone now that my son is grown and has a life. I end up not cooking because it is more hassle than it is worth to me. Yogurt or PB& J or a grilled cheese is what I end up doing most nights. If there were other(s) that took turns with the cooking, etc I might be more apt to participate. I've been downsizing and getting rid of 'stuff' for two years, so my son wouldn't have to be bothered with such if something happened to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,189,287 times
I'm happy that works for them. For myself, I consider it "roughing it" if I have to live without my Keurig coffee maker. Yes, I'm completely spoiled.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
there is a reason most settlers want more protection than a tent much of which has to do with sudden events. If you have been around long enough you probably have gone thru one and thankful for more protection.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 579 times
where in pa can i set up tent and live a year

Old 04-22-2016, 04:19 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They are a few years away from "I can lay down on that ground but how will I ever get up" age.
I have no desire to stay in a tent for more than a few days at a time, although I have fond memories of tent camping as a child and as a young adult. So I am with you in that sense. However, what age would that be for most people that they "can lay down on the ground" but not be able to get up? Certainly it would be extremely rare for anyone under 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or