U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,872,245 times

Advertisements

I got this spreadsheet from Del Webb rep in San Antonio. It will help anyone who is wanting to know how much property tax will be in Texas and San Antonio in particular.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Texas Property Taxes - HCR.zip (43.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM

8,788 posts, read 10,900,033 times
We've been in Florida so long that when I read the title of the thread and started reading the posts, I thought, "What are they talking about, everyone pays (federal) taxes on their retirement income?" --
But, then I realized that just because we haven't filed State Income Taxes in 40-years, doesn't mean they don't exist and that others don't pay them.

I wonder how our sales, property, gas and other taxes compare with states that have income taxes? -- Of course, even there, it seems that tourist/hotel 'bed taxes' pay for a lot of things. I guess I've just got a dose of "Out of sight, out of mind"

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM

419 posts, read 566,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think that's a lot of BS. It's easy to become a resident of a no/low-tax state like Florida - a lot harder to become a non-resident of a high tax state. And you'd better keep track of things - like where you are - for how many days and when - if you live/spend a lot of time in a state that has an aggressive tax collection policy. Or perhaps be prepared to lie on your state income tax returns.

Also - you have to check about rules about things like automobiles. Even in a low tax state like Florida - you'll get a pretty big fine if you "live" here in terms of your residence - but your cars/driver's license/insurance/etc. aren't all Florida based.

Perhaps you can cheat and get away with it. Some people won't be so fortunate. And do you really want to spend your senior years being a tax cheat? Robyn

Robyn: I so agree with you on this. It would be like looking over your shoulder - forever. No thanks. I personally get annoyed at people who want to use the services (roads etc) of a state but don't want to pay taxes to maintain them.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM

786 posts, read 1,911,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
There is an interesting comparison if you look at the total tax burden by state. The burden is figured based on percentage of average income. But is you move to a state with lower average income, your tax burden may be less. Example:
I live in CO and they have a burden of 9.1 percent. This amounts to $4104 tax on a State income of $45125.

I am moving to OR, which shows a 10$ state and local tax burden but that burden ( $3729) is based on an average income of only $37,432.

Since my income will be the same regardless where I live, I will actually save about 9% in state and local Taxes in Oregon.
The problem I have with those sources that show total tax burden by state is that they generally don't differentiate the sources of income. One person may be taxed on 100 percent of their income in a specific state while another pays zero state income taxes. IMO, we all need to make the calculations based on our individual specifics.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,990,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've been in Florida so long that when I read the title of the thread and started reading the posts, I thought, "What are they talking about, everyone pays (federal) taxes on their retirement income?" --
But, then I realized that just because we haven't filed State Income Taxes in 40-years, doesn't mean they don't exist and that others don't pay them.

I wonder how our sales, property, gas and other taxes compare with states that have income taxes? -- Of course, even there, it seems that tourist/hotel 'bed taxes' pay for a lot of things. I guess I've just got a dose of "Out of sight, out of mind"
We've been in Florida 40+ years too - and I agree with how you feel.

Sales taxes vary from a low of the state tax only - 6%. There are county options - and some counties go as high as 7.5%. I live in a 6% county.

Property taxes are all over the place. In our county - we pay about half the rate in high priced spread tax counties. Also - homestead exemptions ($50k more or less depending on the particular part of the property tax you're looking at) can have a bigger or smaller % effect depending on what your house is worth. There are some rural counties in Florida with low priced housing where 80%+ of the homeowners don't pay any property tax at all.

I think gas tax is the same all over the state (could be wrong). Seems like it's "middling" compared to other states. I know Georgia (just up the road from us) used to have taxes that were a lot lower. But that's not true today. And a lot of gas station prices depend on gas station locations - not gas taxes (prices in our metro area can vary by 15-20 cents a gallon depending on location). OTOH - your county may get more or less gas tax revenue (and have more money to spend) depending on whether or not it has a lot of gas station business. For example - my county - St. Johns County - gets a lot of gas tax revenue per capita because we're a long skinny county with not a lot of people and I-95 runs right through the middle of the county. Clay County suffers by comparison in this general area - because it doesn't have a major interstate running through it. FWIW - I'm not sure this makes any sense at all. And didn't even know about it until I read a front page article about it in the Florida Times Union a couple of years back (for all I know - the state legislature has changed the way things work since then). Robyn

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,465,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And do you really want to spend your senior years being a tax cheat? Robyn
Why not? It's become a hobby.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,571,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Robyn: I so agree with you on this. It would be like looking over your shoulder - forever. No thanks. I personally get annoyed at people who want to use the services (roads etc) of a state but don't want to pay taxes to maintain them.
Well now, we don't pay state income taxes here (Social Security and any government pensions not or barely taxed - old fart extra deduction factored in) but we don't feel the least bit guilty. All our income is from sources outside of the state and all our sales taxes, gas taxes, use taxes, registration fees, personal property taxes, real property taxes, etc. are paid to the state. In that respect, we give rather than take and all that lovely Calfornia and federal income is being spent right here as well.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM

419 posts, read 566,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well now, we don't pay state income taxes here (Social Security and any government pensions not or barely taxed - old fart extra deduction factored in) but we don't feel the least bit guilty. All our income is from sources outside of the state and all our sales taxes, gas taxes, use taxes, registration fees, personal property taxes, real property taxes, etc. are paid to the state. In that respect, we give rather than take and all that lovely Calfornia and federal income is being spent right here as well.
So, you pay tax so I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with people who want to pay no tax at all. We don't have a state income tax here either even though I think the state would be better off with one. We have an extremely high sales tax 9.8% in the county I live. I'm referring to people who move from one state to another to avoid paying taxes at all. Also, I know many retirees who make a good income yet do not file federal income tax at all, even though they should. Those are the people that annoy me!!!!! I guess they figure they are old now so why bother - really - I'm old and I pay taxes.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,571,921 times
Quote:
So, you pay tax so I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with people who want to pay no tax at all. We don't have a state income tax here either even though I think the state would be better off with one. We have an extremely high sales tax 9.8% in the county I live. I'm referring to people who move from one state to another to avoid paying taxes at all. Also, I know many retirees who make a good income yet do not file federal income tax at all, even though they should. Those are the people that annoy me!!!!! I guess they figure they are old now so why bother - really - I'm old and I pay taxes.
If you stop to think about it, but for the chronically and truly disabled and the life-long welfare dependants and tax cheats, both thankfully in the minority, most retirees have paid taxes for about 40 or more years. I doubt that most of us really have such cavalier attitudes and fail to file. Sorry about your friends and neighbors.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,990,283 times
Quote:
Being old isn't an excuse for being a tax cheat. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement