U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
26 posts, read 67,258 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

We live in 2 states, based on locations of grandchildren, Utah and Arizona. Seems that Utah isn't as generous as AZ when taxing retirement income. Utah taxes social security, AZ does not. Utah has a flat 5% rate on the smallest of incomes, AZ rates are graduated and you don't pay high rates on small incomes.
Residency requirements for most states are based on working people, not retirees. It seems to be better for us to claim AZ for our "home state".
So we file federal income taxes using our AZ address and register every vehicle in AZ except the car we keep in Utah year round.
There doesn't seem to be enough up to date and clear source of information on retiree issues related to state residency requirements, so we are hoping that we never get stopped by police in Utah in a car with Utah plates and have to show an AZ drivers license. Even police can't keep up with different laws on these topics.
Anybody know of a really good source of info related to retirees, multiple state residencies, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
 
260 posts, read 370,070 times
Reputation: 228
Taxes by State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW / CO / SA TX / Thailand
11,270 posts, read 18,932,579 times
Reputation: 8141
On the car, check with UT DMV, There are provisions for 'snowbirds' (part-time residents) There should not be an issue, as long as you have a current registration and insurance card.

States vary on residency requirements for taxing. SD is the most generous requiring only one night stay to benefit from income tax free status. Many RV'rs declare SD, but register vehicles in MT (no sales tax). Not that I would ever do such a thing If I keep my primary residence in WA, all my vehicles will have to move to another state as 'boarding school', due to WA (& OR) adopting CARB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
8,626 posts, read 10,896,817 times
Reputation: 4780
We just met with some clients from Sun City AZ. If we were to wish to escape the higher property tax areas in AZ, that would be one city we would consider. Their auto insurance is far less as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
26 posts, read 67,258 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We just met with some clients from Sun City AZ. If we were to wish to escape the higher property tax areas in AZ, that would be one city we would consider. Their auto insurance is far less as well.
They don't have to pay the schools part of property taxes, but they do pay HOA fees and have all the associated restrictions related to HOA rules.

My house in Peoria, AZ has no HOA, but does have city restrictions against parking RV's, boats, trailers, etc. anywhere but in the back yard behind a fence. Taxes are almost 2K per year on a house worth 200K. Our Utah house is worth twice the AZ house, but taxes are only a few dollars more than the AZ house.

We will have 2 houses so we don't have to live with the kids/grandkids, that much is predetermined. Only issue that we can do anything about is choose which state gets our income tax...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Reputation: 8914
A lot of folks will quote the: Retirementliving.com site.

I got frustrated with it, as it is not a complete picture.

Something to consider is that while many states do taxes your pension, if they have a high 'deduction' and 'exemption' then it is likely that your pension income may be underneath the minimum to even qualify to pay income taxes.

The state where we decided to retire to; looks like a high tax state, at first glance.

However my pension is not taxed here. We have part-time incomes too and we have rental income, together they are not enough to get us taxed.

We own almost 50 acres and our property taxes have been less than $50/year.

I am not sure that there is a really good website that shows how retirement incomes are taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
26 posts, read 67,258 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A lot of folks will quote the: Retirementliving.com site.

I got frustrated with it, as it is not a complete picture.

Something to consider is that while many states do taxes your pension, if they have a high 'deduction' and 'exemption' then it is likely that your pension income may be underneath the minimum to even qualify to pay income taxes.

The state where we decided to retire to; looks like a high tax state, at first glance.

However my pension is not taxed here. We have part-time incomes too and we have rental income, together they are not enough to get us taxed.

We own almost 50 acres and our property taxes have been less than $50/year.

I am not sure that there is a really good website that shows how retirement incomes are taxed.
I think you are right....lots of info left out....
I will be doing the switchover, tho, from Utah to AZ. So far, it appears that for retirees, you can get away with things that working age people cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Reputation: 8914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill55AZ View Post
I think you are right....lots of info left out....
I will be doing the switchover, tho, from Utah to AZ. So far, it appears that for retirees, you can get away with things that working age people cannot.
It is about the pension, not so much the age of the person.

I got my pension at 42, and was able to begin enjoying the benefits of retirement then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
 
5,267 posts, read 6,143,683 times
Reputation: 6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill55AZ View Post
We will have 2 houses so we don't have to live with the kids/grandkids, that much is predetermined. Only issue that we can do anything about is choose which state gets our income tax...
That's interesting that you get to decide. In Maryland, the residency statute states that you are a Maryland resident if you reside here for more than 6 months. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,759,343 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's interesting that you get to decide. In Maryland, the residency statute states that you are a Maryland resident if you reside here for more than 6 months. Period.
It varies quite a bit from state to state. I understand SD only requires one day a year residency to establish residency. Other states will insist that any income received from within that state is taxable by the state regardless of residency.

that site does a poor job on the MD taxes making it look significantly better than it really is. I don't trust it at all because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top