U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The government has done such a great job of handling Medicare, Social Security and Welfare - why wouldn't we be just thrilled to pieces to have them invent and manage a healthcare plan for the masses??
Social Security and Medicare are specific programs and you inclusion of welfare includes a number of programs some successful and others not as. The issue is not always the government implementation of but the legal cases that follow and establish new procedure. Not sure why you include Medicare and SS as being poorly run as surveys show satisfaction with. In fact most demonstrators say they like it the way it is. Not sure what issues you are referring to with SS perhaps you could elaborate. Satisfaction surveys would suggest just the opposite about Medicare and Social Security. They get higher marks than private sector operations. Perhaps I misread you and you are advocating for a national health care program and are using Medicare and Social Security as high water marks to support your advocacy of.

Last edited by TuborgP; 09-26-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 AM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
National Journal Online - Who's Afraid Of Public Insurance?

Consider some results obtained by the same Kaiser tracking poll. When asked how much they trust various health care players "to put your interests above their own," respondents rank doctors (78 percent trust "a lot" or "some") and nurses (74 percent) at the top of the list.

Among those insured through Medicare, however, "the Medicare program" (68 percent) scores nearly as high. Among those with private insurance, "your health insurance company" earns much less trust (48 percent).

The above is from the link.

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/acsinwrl.html

The University of Michigan announced today that the Social Security Administration (SSA) received an 82 in the most recent American Customer Satisfaction Index Survey (ACSI). This score is one of the highest earned by participating Federal government agencies and 10 points higher than the comparable private sector index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Maryland
454 posts, read 932,963 times
Reputation: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I do have some concern with the way they are keeping this latest version of the bill very quiet, not allowing anyone to read it and threatening to push it through. I just wished they would listen to people and offer a simple plan and cut the pork they are piling on to it as we write.
Good grief, the entire healh care bill before congress is available online. If you only get your infomration from fox news and Rush Limbaugh you are bound to be misinformed and uneducated about what is really happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Good grief, the entire healh care bill before congress is available online. If you only get your infomration from fox news and Rush Limbaugh you are bound to be misinformed and uneducated about what is really happening.
I doubt if that process suddenly begins with watching them. That is probably part of the attraction. Otherwise they would know what really is truthful and accurate from any source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,288 posts, read 17,950,172 times
Reputation: 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Social Security and Medicare are specific programs and you inclusion of welfare includes a number of programs some successful and others not as. The issue is not always the government implementation of but the legal cases that follow and establish new procedure. Not sure why you include Medicare and SS as being poorly run as surveys show satisfaction with. In fact most demonstrators say they like it the way it is. Not sure what issues you are referring to with SS perhaps you could elaborate. Satisfaction surveys would suggest just the opposite about Medicare and Social Security. They get higher marks than private sector operations. Perhaps I misread you and you are advocating for a national health care program and are using Medicare and Social Security as high water marks to support your advocacy of.

You must be a government employee - good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 05:16 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
Reputation: 18049
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Good grief, the entire healh care bill before congress is available online. If you only get your infomration from fox news and Rush Limbaugh you are bound to be misinformed and uneducated about what is really happening.
Npo its not;it is being change in each committee it goes threu. Their are now four demcratic proposala. In the senate finance committee for example they are noiw going to actually go back to look at the CBOI's actaul cost estimates on each part because many76 are not scored yet by CBO. One amendamnt the other day CBO found that they estiamted no score thehn found a mistake that scroes it 500 milion . That is mostly because CBO has to score every prop-aosl before finace will consider it.Because CBPO is rushed so much many could even get considered becasue they did not get scored ;so ruled out of order. Each bill will change alot by the time it leaves the house or the senate and then has top be reconciled with the other boidy.IMO this is a very comlplex bill and is being rush. All four bills are skelton's of what they will become once gone over because of the rules.Its ike medicare savings'you never really know how they are going to save the mnaey they claim until they change the rules.I doubt its fraud because that can not be estimate in savings and of course everytime the congress has scored savings it had never come to the amount they scored. You have to rememebr that the democrats have promised to eliminate the so called donuts hole in medicare prescrition drugs which won't be cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Good grief, the entire healh care bill before congress is available online. If you only get your infomration from fox news and Rush Limbaugh you are bound to be misinformed and uneducated about what is really happening.
You make some broad assumptions that if one has a question or concern regarding overhauling our healthcare we must all listen to Limbaugh. I have not heard his show for over 7 years. So then should I make an assumption that you dear poster sit behind a computer collecting whatever welfare check you collect to keep it running to prod people and chide people into accepting whatever the congress shoves at us? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You must be a government employee - good grief.
No I can read, research and be objective with the data. It is informational and not emotional. It is cerebral and not visceral. It you object to the use of data ok.
Please to help lurkers evaluate your response, what about my post suggests I am a government employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Npo its not;it is being change in each committee it goes threu. Their are now four demcratic proposala. In the senate finance committee for example they are noiw going to actually go back to look at the CBOI's actaul cost estimates on each part because many76 are not scored yet by CBO. One amendamnt the other day CBO found that they estiamted no score thehn found a mistake that scroes it 500 milion . That is mostly because CBO has to score every prop-aosl before finace will consider it.Because CBPO is rushed so much many could even get considered becasue they did not get scored ;so ruled out of order. Each bill will change alot by the time it leaves the house or the senate and then has top be reconciled with the other boidy.IMO this is a very comlplex bill and is being rush. All four bills are skelton's of what they will become once gone over because of the rules.Its ike medicare savings'you never really know how they are going to save the mnaey they claim until they change the rules.I doubt its fraud because that can not be estimate in savings and of course everytime the congress has scored savings it had never come to the amount they scored. You have to rememebr that the democrats have promised to eliminate the so called donuts hole in medicare prescrition drugs which won't be cheap.
There is no one bill to be referred to as being the bill. The Baucus bill has already been changed and as you say is in committee etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No I can read, research and be objective with the data. It is informational and not emotional. It is cerebral and not visceral. It you object to the use of data ok.
Please to help lurkers evaluate your response, what about my post suggests I am a government employee?
I can answer that - it's faux news type prejudice.

And don't confuse me with the facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top