Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Enjoy your box van. I'll think about you on my Mediterranean cruise. Some of us actually thought ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Its playing out now. Google 'Amero Dollars'.

By the way, to much snow up where your retirement home will be. You will need a place with a long 'growing' season for a garden when the tougher times hit. Can't eat money you know.
if i had to rely on my hunting, fishing and gardening skills id starve, im better off eating the money.

better yet with the money ill get guns and bullets,. then i can get as much of everything as ill need lol

Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Many,many people will be forced to retire with little or No money.
This thread is mainly for that group of retirees.

I have lived like a Gypsy King for many years. You can ignore this thread... or you can do the smart thing and prepare for the hard times that are sure to come.

Many folks think that they have enough "money" saved for retirement. They don't understand what will happen the day the banks take a holiday, and when they reopen, it will take 10 "old" dollars to buy one "new" dollar.
(Google"Amero dollars").

Anyway, take heed. What can it hurt? Stock up on as much food as you can stuff in your pantry, and then start putting it under your bed.

Here is the site...About Us

Dont be afraid...just prepare like you would for bad weather.

THANK YOU!! I am almost 62 and do have a small camper that I always thought would be great to live in out in the boonies someplace .. LOL with that wonderful link you have fired up the need to find a plot of land and park my arse for the rest of my life .. .. only thing I gotta do is make sure its near enough that my kids can get to me in 12 hours .. yep gotta a cell phone got a laptop and a decent generator and have lived backwoods befor so yep a wonderful adventure does await me and my dog ..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
china can **** and moan all they want.....w/out the US and our debt, they are nothing. We fail, they surely fail and they won't allow that to happen.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM

175 posts, read 468,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
THANK YOU!! I am almost 62 and do have a small camper that I always thought would be great to live in out in the boonies someplace .. LOL with that wonderful link you have fired up the need to find a plot of land and park my arse for the rest of my life .. .. only thing I gotta do is make sure its near enough that my kids can get to me in 12 hours .. yep gotta a cell phone got a laptop and a decent generator and have lived backwoods befor so yep a wonderful adventure does await me and my dog ..
Thank you for posting!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
ill hobo it in one of those big cushy grayhound bus campers

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ill hobo it in one of those big cushy grayhound bus campers
That comment reminds me of a camping trip during a 12 wk 'Fall Colors' trip I took with car / tent / bicycle.

I was cleaning up in the laundry room one frosty morning wearing my down coat, mittens, and stocking cap. A gent strolls by in his short fuzzy bathrobe and slippers and says, "You must be the folks in the TENT!"

While I enjoyed many yrs as a Westin Premier, Gold Club, first class international flier... I'm not too proud to realize a box van may be an option in the future. Things happen, I've experienced worse. I also frequent abandoned vehicle auctions, so meet folks who are 'buying-their-next-home (boxvan)'. You can get good deals (~$200) and dry space (mostly). Sometimes they even have current license plates No REAL property tax if it is on wheels.

I will keep my talents sharp for future needs: Master Gardener / food preserver, farmer, mechanic, welder, woodworker, engineer, business person, builder, teacher, sewing, quilting, truckdriving (Class A CDL), bus endorsement, EMT, ... Chances are good I may get (Need) to use these skills for survival. 'Dairy-Farm-Boarding-school' has provided lots of 'life-long-learning'

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-30-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,223 times
It's always interesting to see how these predictions and warnings age over time. Over the years, we've had a bit of a recession but also a pretty good bull market. And I don't think it's a bad idea to have some propane and canned goods in reserve, but I refuse to live my life in fear of an apocalyptic economic collapse.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:35 PM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
The Boxcar Children - Book Review - Children's Books I read this book as a child and loved it! You might enjoy it as well while you are in your box van
I had a teacher in the early 1960's that would read to us each day. My favorite book that year was The Boxcar Children. I still remember it fondly.

I have watched a few shows about those Tiny Houses and they say a lot of seniors are buying them.

https://www.today.com/home/senior-ci...es-now-t125102

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/tin...nior-citizens/

https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart...ment/view-all/

Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Where do you shower during your stays in the box van? What shampoo and conditioner do you use? How about blow dryers?
I used to talk to a guy at the gym who lived in his van (or sometimes a night at an alternate place). He paid less than $25 a month membership and had access to shower, TV, and other facilities. It was a chain so he had access to many locations across the country. Also frequented public parks and received some SNAP and other assistance. Not a lifestyle for me but he stayed happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement