U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM

738 posts, read 643,818 times

Advertisements

We are currently building a four bedroom, four bath 3500 s.f. cottage on a 100' wide lot on the Pamlico Sound in NC. It features lots of board walls and ceilings, wide plank flooring, screen porches with an outdoor fireplace, a cedar shingle roof, reclaimed brick foundation, cypress siding, built-in flat screen TV's, kitchen with a Wolf commericial-style range, emergency whole house generator, and a guest house/office. There's a 120' pier out on the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
Can I move in with you??

Old 05-15-2007, 06:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,838,692 times
I want to move in, too! Can you tell me how much a waterfront lot on the sound is going for--that is about 100 feet on the water? Do you have to be up on pilings or do you have good elevation in case of a tidal surge?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM

738 posts, read 643,818 times
Our neighbor just sold their 75' lot for $645,000, so I'd figure on around $750k-$800k for a 100'er. You do have to raise your house - either pilings or poured walls. It's not so much the wind that gets you as the tidal surge.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Talking I went through Ivan in Pensacola!

Buckhead: Thanks for the info. Waterfront property just goes up and up. There is only so much of it. I have made a specialty out of studying and buying it. I have a place on Grand Lake in Oklahoma that has really done well--130 feet of gravelly beach on deep, clear water with dynamite view. The land is worth more than the house. I currently have 1,300 on Toledo Bend Lake in Northwest Louisiana that I will probably sell.

As for tidal surge, I know about that. We had lots of damage here in Pensacola and on the barrier island. Our insurance rates have gone through the roof. I can't afford waterfront here but Toledo Bend is such an ocean-like lake that I pretend it is gulf-front.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM

28,239 posts, read 39,884,966 times
We've decided to keep it simple: 1800-2000 SF ranch with a partial walkout basement. Partial because we don't want to dynamite for the rest. Three car garage with the 3rd slot for my workshop. She'll have a room for her sewing and needlework, we'll each have a computer area in one room, and a study/library for all our books.

We have a nice sloping lot that leads to a pond/lake (what is it when it's three acres in size?) and is currently so heavily wooded that you can't walk through it. I'm going to clear it by hand over the next couple of years instead of having a contractor clear cut it.

Open deck and covered deck. A nice, long, falling brook with waterfalls to the pond. We love the sound of water. Plenty of plants. I'll have a hundred or so hostas to take with when we go, as well as a rose my mother gave us 25 years ago that came with us to our current house.

We've only had one other house built and it was, well, interesting. This time we'll know some things to avoid. I'll probably do some of the work myself. Good therapy.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,450 times
Well both of the houses mentioned above sound really nice. Yes having a home close to the water is a desirable thing. You'd want to get a situation where as flooding is not an issue but it would be nice.

I'm as close as I want to be to the Bay. I've got a nice view but the house is not right on the bay.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times
I hope to retire in two years....give or take a year or two depending on finances....

I'm looking for a cute cottage. That's all I need. I have way too much property where I am, I am tired of climbing on the roof and sweeping off pine needles and leaves, and I just can't keep up with it all. A cute little cottage in someplace warm, with lots of sunshine (I have SAD), and a small, but comfortable yard to sit in and have a few flowers and my pets would be wonderful. So, that's what I'm looking for!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM

86 posts, read 209,357 times
Hi Wisteria - I think you will find your cottage just fine since you already know exactly what you want and what will make you content. I take it then that you are looking to move away from Monterey? I also need warmth and sunshine. But beyond that I have no idea where I want us to go. Nowhere really interests me right now because no matter where we move, my mom will not be there. I'm still grieving my mom's passing and it's been over 2 years.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Smile Mom was best friend--Time and activity heals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
Hi Wisteria - I think you will find your cottage just fine since you already know exactly what you want and what will make you content. I take it then that you are looking to move away from Monterey? I also need warmth and sunshine. But beyond that I have no idea where I want us to go. Nowhere really interests me right now because no matter where we move, my mom will not be there. I'm still grieving my mom's passing and it's been over 2 years.
Hi, nasu. I lost my Mom some years ago and I really grieved for about 3-4 years. One day I got a really warm inner feeling that Mom wanted me to move on with my life. I just knew that she wanted me to carry her legacy on by living my life to the fullest. Of course, I choke up sometimes when I think of her, but I just know that I am a little piece of her and living the way she would like to live herself. In other word, I recall some of the things Mom wanted to do and I am just sort of doing them for her. I do have my own life and I feel that I am doing some of the things she would have done if she were still here. Of course, it really helps if you believe that your Mom is still actually living in another dimension and you will see her again. But I have known people who have simply lived as if their loved ones were still within them alone and been very fulfilled.

You will always grieve for your Mom. But you can turn that into something fulfilling and constructive. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Now, go out there and find a warm and sunny place--where would Mom have lived--where do you think she would be happy to see you live. Sometimes I go down by the lake at sunset--I used to do that with my Mom alot--and we would just sit there and say nothing. You don't have to jabber all the time if you really love someone. I sit in silence now and I just know she is somehow there with me. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or