U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,670 posts, read 10,226,961 times
We've bought a retirement home in a 55+ community. The lack of kids was a big attraction, as were the amenities. Hubby isn't too keen on the rules thing, but he'll get over it. It's a single floor w/attached 2 stall garage which he'll be using for his workshop. 2 BR, 2 Bath with a split bedroom feature, which I love. open living room/dining room/kitchen/sitting area and a nice lanai which I'd like to make a bit bigger in the future. We'll be moving in about 4 months, and I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,832,282 times
Default Retirement Home

I'm a little spoiled having lived in Fl. for many years, so I'm use to things on one level..........I have lived in a bi-level back in NJ and in my younger days could run up and down the stairs 15/20 times a day. But no more.

But now that I'm nearing retirement age, I'm looking for a 3/2/2 I can live in a 1,400-1,600 sq. ft. home with a small yard, no pool.....no two stories, single
level, with a walk-in shower, great kitchen, great room, no family/livingroom
type a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. For just two people that should be all we need, of course, I want 3 bedrooms for the 10 kids to come
visit.

Unread 05-27-2007, 03:23 PM

10,184 posts, read 17,351,341 times
Years ago I did a workshop where we had to imagine a perfect studio. Til now that has always remained in my sights--a really, really large open space with a fireplace, an Eames chair and foot-stool, several huge tables to work on, built in cabinets for all my art supplies and one glass wall with sliding doors.

I'd add living quarters to it: a spacious bedroom, with wide windows, a modern bath and kitchen, and a mud room.

If I could, the living quarters would be attached and made of heavy, old, grey stones or weathered shingles. The studio would be more modern, and well lighted.

I haven't figured out the square feet.

Unread 05-27-2007, 05:45 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,367,132 times
Designing your own house would be really cool. Given a choice of styles I'd pick either a Tudor or a Spanish style with a red tile roof.

I want a 3 bedroom and 2 bath. That's in case my grandkids come out to visit. We could do with a two bedroom but there would be much extra room for visitors.

Yes I wish they'd build more one story homes. They last couple of houses we've had were 2 story but that won't do for retirement. We can still go up and down stairs but I have to think about the future when we are older.

Unread 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM

4,611 posts, read 7,406,764 times
I would want a oceanfront home in Southern California. That would be a dream for us. We used to live oceanfront and it was very dreamy. Now we would be happy just finding a beautiful ocean view home.

Unread 05-27-2007, 11:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 3,496,606 times
Ours has a lot of similarities to PNW-type-gal, way back near the beginning of this thread.

We bought 5 acres in rural Okeechobee, FL, about 4-1/2 years ago, right after I retired. I've been working on the property for 4 years, selectively clearing, fencing, driveway, culvert, electric gate. Had a pond dug and gained about 4,000 cubic yards of dirt which I have moved to low areas and raised the house and barn pads. Now, I'm digging ditches for water and electric supplies around the property, and we're starting the landscaping so it will be more mature by the time we move in.

The house has been designed and is being drawn for permits, now. It will be a Florida Cracker farmhouse with wrap-around porches, gable roof, 3 dormers and a large rear porch under the main roof. Main floor will be about 2100 sq ft with very large great room and a country kitchen in an alcove under the balcony. The ceilings will be cathedral over the entire house, from the great room to the end of the open loft. There will be two master bedrooms downstairs, one for my DW and I and the other for her 103-year-old Mother-in-law, which will eventually become a guest room.

An unusual feature is that we will have a separate utility kitchen for food storage, prep and cleanup. It will serve the country kitchen indoors and my outdoor kitchen on the rear porch.

There will be stairs to an open loft, with an ell-shaped balcony on 2 sides of the great room. The smaller loft will be the library/home office area for me, and the larger, open loft will be a quilting area for my DW, as well as having a bathroom and a wall bed for guests, and some cot-beds in a closet for grandchildren. The loft area is about 1,000 sq ft.

I will have a 32'x40' barn with a Gambrel roof and second floor storage about 200' behind the house, for workshop, automotive lift, and storage for my tractor and implements.

The house will have a whole-house generator, all 36" doors and ADA compliant baths, an large open shower with roll-in entrances on either side, and a straight staircase that can accommodate a handicap chair lift if necessary.

It sounds extravagant, and it is, for us. But, this is our dream home. We have spent more than 4 years planning for it and a lifetime preparing for it. We have always sacrificed in our previous houses in order to get to this position, and have never built a house before. We have the strong belief that we have worked very hard all our lives to get to this point, and we are going to enjoy every minute we have coming to us. I doubt I will ever run out of projects.

I'm busier now than I ever was when working...

Unread 05-31-2007, 02:23 AM

3,842 posts, read 7,518,784 times
probably a 1bed/1bath condo or small house. The last thing I want to be doing when I am old is cleaning the 2,000 sq/ft house.

Unread 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM

243 posts, read 574,179 times
Default Retirement Home

Well, my husband is 66 and I am 58. We are looking for a home that has a finished basement. I think climbing stairs will be good for us. Keep us in shape. I live now in a 2300 sq.ft. home and want a home about the same size. Our home was built in 66 and although I like the charm of the older homes, problems caused by age will occur. So, we have decided on a new or newer home no more then 10 yrs. old and we want at least a half acre of land. We do not want a YUPPIE type neighborhood with yelling kids and kids riding around on bikes. We've gone through the parenting bit and want quiet now.

Unread 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM

2,803 posts, read 6,515,920 times
Well, unless somebody takes me in I'm looking at a subsidized senior 1 BR apt near where I live now. They're small but they're newer with an elevator and they're on the water downtown which can't be all bad.

Unread 06-02-2007, 02:57 PM

15,451 posts, read 7,038,009 times
I knew retirement was approaching so I started to plan as to what we wanted, how we wanted to spend our life and how much it would cost.

We were always so stressed with raising a family, jobs, house and life stuff that we wanted something simple. We both like to travel and dont' want to be house poor.
Even though we didn't want to be house poor, we still wanted something nice and we found it just what we were looking for in a 55+ community in DE.
We have a pool, acitivities, trips, gymnasium, wonderful neighbors, all on one floor home with a 2 car garage, 2 bdrooms, 2 baths, dining room, living room and a den.
This is all we need and they cut your lawn for you and do stuff like that. There are a few rules but we knew what they were when we moved in and none of them were any problem.
I like the idea of no kids running around. We are all in the same age bracket and relate to each other.
We are only here 6 months now but so far so good. With summer, I'm enjoying the pool every day.
Life is good and I"m loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement