U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,251,613 times

Advertisements

If you plan to move for your retirement what kind of house will you be looking for?
There are condos, mobile homes, single family homes and homes in retirement villages. I am also wondering how large or small of a place people who are retired would want. How many bathrooms and bedrooms would you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 09:06 AM

13,895 posts, read 25,347,447 times
I am looking for a Mid-Century Modern butterfly house. Over 1500sf with a pool and a separate guest house. It would probably be 4 br 3ba. I would like a 2 car detached garage to turn into a shop. The whole thing would probably need to be remodeled. I would do it myself over time. 1/4 acre lot.

That's my wish list. Don't know if I will be able to afford it all.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 PM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
Building our own (well, have a contractor build most of it, but we'll be finishing off the upstairs library/loft ourselves)

The lot was important (view, acreage, southern exposure), and we're planning for a design which uses passive solar features to best advantage, and most likely a solar water heat system. Probably not active solar electric at this time, as the payback benefit isn't there (it IS for water heat, in our area).

Main living on one floor, ADA-width hallways, doors, accessible showers - generally "barrier free" although we do have a library/loft upstairs. Probably not an ADA-friendly kitchen, as we'll remodel if/when we get to that point.

Really only 2 bedrooms, but the library will have an alcove that can accommodate a wall bed and will give some privacy. Two small (8x9 and 10x12) offices, 2 baths, an open great room, an alcove for watching TV, a large kitchen. The whole plan is about 1,800 sf, which is larger than we initially wanted, but it's how things worked out. The house we live in now (and raised two kids in) is 1,900 sf (3 small BR, 2.5 bath, small loft, LR, kitchen, dining/family), but not nearly as usefully laid out, so it's not really much of a change.

I could stand to live in a condo (sort of) but the spouse needs his garage/shop, so that was out of the question. Plus, when I visit my son, all of the NOISE from TVs blaring, and cars coming and going, drives me nuts.

And my dog needs her yard....

Old 05-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Those homes both sound nice and with lots of room. Maybe after we've had a couple of home we get so we want specific things in the next one.

I've decided we'll just look for a single family home when we are ready. I don't think the condo idea would work out for us. We've always lived in houses.

We're not ready to move yet but when when do I've got a list of things I want. I'm thinking a 3 bedroom with 2 baths. I prefer a single story this time with a garage. I do like to have some kind of a view so near some forest or water would be good.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:41 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,971,054 times
We will be looking for a 2500 - 3200 square foot ranch style house with a walk out basement and laundry, great room, master on the first floor. We would consider a 2 story house if the second story only contained guest rooms and a bathroom or two.

We do like the looks of the patio homes that are in the Louisville area but we are afraid of living next to someone who is noisy or who smokes...that would really ruin it for us so we will probably pass on that option (no condos for the same reason).

Ideally we would like a home built in the 50's to the 80's: Excellent condition, 2-3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 to 3 baths, walk-in master closet, pantry, remodeled kitchen and baths, 2 to 3 car attached garage on no more than 1 acre with trees....we would be willing to remodel a home if the home had good bones.

Peace and quiet and pride of ownership in the surrounding homes are musts.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,144,606 times
I have done a lot of day-dreaming about my future retirement home!

Ideally I'd like a small single story house, a single family home between 1200-1500 square feet with no stairs. I suppose I would go as high as 2200 square feet if the house was perfect in other aspects, but I really don't need or want that much space.

Right now I am in a 1600 square foot house, on a 50'x100' lot. But I'd like my retirement home to be on a lot wider than 80', so that the nearest neighbor is a little further away. Also, I'd like the lot to have no landscaping but grass so that I can hire a lawn guy to cut it, and be done with the yardwork.

I'd like my retirement house to have 3 bedrooms and two baths, for resale just in case. Also I'd like a 2-car garage or bigger. I'd like my home to be either 1950-1969 or 1980-2007 vintage, avoiding many houses built in the 1970's because I don't want aluminum wiring like what I have in my present home. Although I ADORE houses built from 1890-1949, especially Victorians, I have regretfully eliminated them because of maintenance, repair, insulation, and upgrading issues.

Right now I have five sets of French doors, granite countertops with recessed lighting, baseboard, chair, and crown molding, art alcoves, chandeliers, arched windows, and other amenities. I love these amenities and am so spoiled! I might have to do some remodeling to end up getting what I want in a smaller home. Presently I have a walk-in ceramic tile shower, and when I retire I'd like one of the bathrooms in my house to have a shower like that but huge and well lit, with a tile bench to sit on as I grow older. I'd prefer not to have slanting "cathedral ceilings", but a 9' or 10' conventional ceiling would be wonderful.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,821,383 times
We just moved into a retirement home. We looked for the ability to live on one floor, a first floor master bedroom. We also wanted to have space so the kids and grandkids could visit without being cramped. In addition, since we are in California now, we wanted some kind of covered patio for outdoor living too.

Stayed with a single family home, with a small back yard that is fenced. We'll landscape our way to sufficient privacy. We avoided 55+ neighborhoods, both of our parents have done this and we didn't feel it would be a good fit for our lifestyle.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM

It's kind of looking like the 55+ neighborhoods are no so popular with most of us. I have to agree right now anyway. I am just over the 55 line.

We still like to get around and do things for ourselves. It's okay if a town has a lot of older people. I don't mind that. It's just the 55+ housing I don't care to live in. I have been told there are a lot of rules too. I'm not crazy about that. I'd say we would prefer a free lifestyle.

Yes a one story is a good idea without a lot of steps. Right now the house I'm living in has a lot of steps. It gets tiresome after a while.

Good luck with your new homes. They all sound really nice.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,144,606 times
I'd love to live in an area with mostly older neighbors, since other people's children annoy me (as unfair as that is, it's the truth).

You hit the nail on the head, though - - I don't want to live in a planned community, with rules, fees, assessments, homeowners' associations, and so on. So, I am looking outside the planned 55+ communities for ordinary neighborhoods that appeal to me.

Older neighbors are just one part of the equation. Fewer constantly barking dogs, fewer vehicles parked on the street, peace and quiet, walking trails, neighborhood stores within walking distance - - all of these are appealing to me.

I am 58. In about 20 years, I might appreciate one of those continuing care facilities where they cook for you, and then provide assisted living and later skilled nursing if needed. But right now, I am not ready for that.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:15 PM

450 posts, read 1,839,875 times
Wink OPC--not money! And single story for sure.

I like the post about liking children but not other people's children!(OPC) It is so true. I overlook lots of bad behavior in my nephews that I just will not tolerate in "strangers". Guess it is the old genetic survival of the clan sort of thing.

Everyone is right on concerning having a single story. In fact, my real estate friends tell me that many sales have not gone through because of too many steps.

On Grand Lake in Oklahoma I was shown a place that had a to-die-for-view of the lake but it was a condo or townhouse with 3 levels. Master bed and bath on the top level. Stairs down to the mid-level for kitchen and living room. More stairs down for guestroom/bath and laundry.

Oh look, the agent told me, you can go from the bottom level right out to your dock! Wait a minute, what if I am in my master bedroom 2 flights up? I could see me, with admitedly a rather bum leg, scurrying up and down with my picnic stuff and forgetting something on the third level--maybe my support hose or dentures --Well, I may need them in future, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or