U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times

Advertisements

One time the plow truck had thrown up a snow bank that had buried our mailbox. The mail lady left a note that I had to clear a path to give her access to my mailbox, or else she would stop delivery. No tickets, no fines, they would simply hold my mail.

My township has no sidewalks.

We went out to supper this evening, on the way home, we were stopped by a moose on the road. We waited politely and took photos, as he considered going back into the forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM

570 posts, read 1,145,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
In some communities you legally must clear the snow or you get fined. The postman has to have a path up to your door. The pavement in front of the house must be shoveled.
This is the case in my area of NY also.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM

530 posts, read 1,185,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I need clarification. Did your friend's daughter "just graduate" as in the last month? Or did she graduate between fall and spring semester?
She graduated in early May. When I asked if she was going to look for a job and where she would look, her mom said that she isn't ready to work yet...maybe after a few months she might decide to start looking. They live in Nassau County, a short commute to the city, so she could probably find something if she actually got off her butt and looked. A few months, according to their sense of time, will be next year! This girl has never had any type of part-time job in all her years of school. She has no idea what a job is. The mother isn't doing her any favors. Self esteem comes from achievement, not indulgence.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,151,588 times
Because you don't have to worry about shoveling sunshine.....

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,654,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
In some communities you legally must clear the snow or you get fined. The postman has to have a path up to your door. The pavement in front of the house must be shoveled.
One more reason to downsize or close Post Offices and put everything online and ship packages and the rest with UPS/FedEx etc. Flame away...

Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A bit misleading. It's likely the pavement doesn't have to be cleared, the sidewalk does. Our mail is delivered at the street so it's up to us to clear for mail.

We have 48 hours to clear our walks. $75 fine if a ticket is issued. I only know of one being given and it was a case of an a**hole neighbor getting even. "I heard it through the grapevine."
I do not understand how what I said is misleading. You were expected to clear the snow (sidewalk) in front of the house plus a path up to the mailbox, which is usually at the front door. How can I be more explicit?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
the same rerason my parnets move deaqcdes ago. they want to get away form the cold .My relatives as they retired did the same thing. Some also prefer the slower pace of life .

Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,677,164 times
I didn't retire to the south, moved here out of pure stupidity, I guess. I'm hoping in three years when I retire, I will be fortunate enough to move elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,654,976 times
I've actually lived in WA, TX, OH, IN, FL & NJ and visited many other states. They all have their (climate) advantages and disadvantages, I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner. CA has the best climate hands down IMO but the desirable areas are far too expensive and culturally/politically not our cup of tea. Cultural differences and cost of living rule our preferences, but we all have different expectations there, so that's an individual decision as well.

I'm always puzzled when people come on these forums and ask other strangers what's best...though I'm sure the varied POVs can provide insights that can help an OP evaluate what's best for them. There is no remotely universal "right" answer.

I had no desire whatsoever to move to where I am now. And we won't stay here much longer, but it's turned out to be a pretty nice place to live, not at all what we imagined...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,677,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've actually lived in WA, TX, OH, IN, FL & NJ and visited many other states. They all have their (climate) advantages and disadvantages, I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner. CA has the best climate hands down IMO but the desirable areas are far too expensive and culturally/politically not our cup of tea..
Yes, and that's what I left when it was affordable there. Of course, had I stayed, it would still be "affordable" because the highest cost of anything is housing and my sweet home was only $35,000 and now selling for nearly 3/4 of a million. As I said, I moved out of stupidity and not able to predict the future or even attempt to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or